hulser

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Just got all the parts for my computer today. Installed everything including my Xigamatek HDT Cooler on my Q6600. Started the comp up checked the bios disabled the auto fan so the speed is the highest at all times. Then booted up and started running windows update. Core temps on all four cores seemed very high.

Ran the test using Core Temp
This is all pretty much on idle. I got this computer to play some games on but havent even dared to try it out.

Core Temp 1: 66
Core Temp 2: 58
Core Temp 3: 56
Core Temp 4: 57

They all vary a bit but I just dont know if thats right. The numbers are jumping up way too much. Could it be because the computer hasnt been running too long and it needs time to break in?

Thanks for the help.

I also applied the Arctic Silver Compund according to their website. Not using too much and not using too little.

Those temps are too high, especially with a Xigmatek cooler. The direct-touch coolers require a little bit different cooling compound method. I'd guess you're cooler isn't installed correctly. Which "Xigmatek HDK" cooler do you have? There are a lot of Xigmatek HDK coolers. Do you have a back plate, or are you using the push-pins?

hulser

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
alright ill try that out later today, do i need to clean off the compound with rubbing alcohol or something before reapplying, im prob gonna take the entire motherboard out and reinstall it so i have more room to work with. do i even need to reapply the compound or just re seat the heatsink?

hulser

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Alright just finished doing everything. My friend helped me out and suggested that I lock the pins in before pushing them into the motherboard in hopes that we wouldnt have to spin them once they click in. That worked and now im idling in the thirties. Currently running Prime 95 with temps in the mid to high 40's on all four cores