Sign in with
Your question

Creative Labs X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro Edition

Last response: in Components
April 27, 2009 12:17:11 AM

I am thinking about buying this sound card, and I am not shore does it have hardware THX, DTS or Dolby Digital decoding, or just software like other sound cards (cheaper...)
Does Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer non Fatal1ty card has hardware THX, DTS or Dolby Digital decoding support also, or not...?

Thank you.
April 27, 2009 1:46:35 AM

What will you use the sound card for? Honestly, the sound hardware integrated into a motherboard is already perfect for most purposes.
April 27, 2009 3:45:07 PM

I am using my computer for gaming, watching movies, listening to music, etc...
But I saw at some posts that there are many problems regarding this card & nforce(crackling sound). Since I have nForce 560 chipset motherboard, nvidia 8800gt gpu, so I don't want to buy this card anymore.
Somebody told me that ASUS XONAR DX/XD is good sound card, but my free PCI-E is located under VGA, and I do not want to kill my vga with heat...

My onboard realtek alc888 is working perfectly... ;-) so I'm gonna stick to it, for now.
Related resources
May 22, 2009 4:41:25 PM

Hey, I'm looking into upgrading from my onboard audio as well and I've been looking at sound cards for quite a bit until I started leaning towards the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty. Since then I've read every review on it I could my hands on and ever single one of them praised the sound quality as being extremely impressive. And while I can't attest to this PARTICULAR sound cards performance I have heard the difference on other user's PC's and it's very noticeable. HOWEVER, it really only makes sense if you have a premium set of speakers/headphones which is why I haven't bothered upgrading until I recently purchased a headset with 5.1 surround. Also, in reference the nforce issue, I haven't heard anything about it and wasn't able to find any other references to it, not sure where you heard this? And I'm using a 780i board so I have the same issue with the PCI-E x1 being right below my primary x16 slot which is why I have to go PCI.
May 22, 2009 9:43:17 PM

I recently got the Creative Xfi titanium SB a couple of months ago and love it. It's pretty much identical to the fatal1ty one, except it doesn't have that d-bag's name on it, and doesnt have the xram (which as far as i know, only a very few games can even use it, and at that, it really doesnt offer much in increased proformance, if any).

There are known issues with the nforce chipset and this card, in conjunction with vista 64 and sli set ups. I believe new drivers have FINALLY been released to help alleviate this issue. It's a known proplem. However, I'm running xp and have not had any issues at all. and it fits right up against my 8800, but i have not had any issues with it being so snug.

Soundwise, its pretty sweet. have it hooked up to the logi 5500's and it hits pretty hard. sounds better than onboard (realtek on a 780i). It does decode all of those listed formats. If you do go this route, make sure to just download the needed drivers/consol controller from the creative site and toss the included cd. it has some bloatware on it you prolly dont need.

In all, i like the card a lot! but, there are known issues about it that many people have had, i was lucky and havent run into any. Seems mostly to occur to vista users running nforce drivers and sli. although not entirely limited to those users.
May 23, 2009 2:42:58 AM

K, well today I went out and BOUGHT the Fatal1ty card and it sounds great. Now, to alleviate any fears of incompatibility here are my system specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Q6600 OC'd @ 3.2GHz
XFX 780i SLI mobo
2x 8800GT's in SLI

I downloaded the Windows 7 64-bit drivers from Creative's website and as far as I can tell I have exactly the kind of system that has issues and I haven't experienced any so I think you're safe.
!