ASUS P6T Deluxe memory compatibility

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Hello all

Prior ASUS m/boards (in particular the P5W DH Deluxe) have had memory compatibility problems.

I am looking to purchase the P6T Deluxe board for a new build, and Newegg has recommended Corsair Dominator DDR3 series memory.

Does anyone know of any problems resulting from this pairing?

Many thanks

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
As a follow-up to this query, I note on the P6T specifications (as also mentioned in prior TH posts) that this motherboard also accepts memory up to a speed of 1333.

Newegg has recommended the Corsair memory above, which runs at a speed of 1600.

Does anyone have any experience running this board with the faster memory, and have there been any problems that you can report?

I'm running Dominator 1600MHz with my P6T Deluxe, and it is working flawlessly. You may need to boost your QPI/DRAM voltage a bit to get it to run at 1600, but other than that, it should work great.

htredneck007

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I just built a P6t Deluxe ver 2 with 6 megs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 (from Newegg) and so far it works perfect. I am waiting on a new heatsink before I OC it.

You'll want to set the timings manually. You can also just set it to use the XMP settings, though I've found that my memory will run at settings better than those preprogrammed into XMP, and will do it with less QPI/DRAM voltage (IIRC, XMP sets that to 1.35 on the Dominator). Mine runs DDR3-1600 7-8-7-22 1T at 1.30V QPI/DRAM at 1.64V memory voltage.

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006

Hi cjl (and everyone else!)

Thanks a lot for the information. One more question if you don't mind.

Within a recent review of this board - http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=636&type=expert&pid=5 - there are a number of screenshots pertaining to BIOS tweaks (Ai Tweaker).

In order to run the Dominator 1600 MHz memory, it seems as though I need to manually alter the DRAM frequency from 1333 to 1600.

Would I also need to alter the base clock or QPI Frequency (or anything else)? If so, what should I select? Forgive me, I am unfamiliar with BIOS adjustments and can't seem to correlate your figures above with those in the screenshots.

Thanks so much!

Styxantyx

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Have you figured this out? I have the ASUS p6t w/ the corsair dominator 6 X 1 Gb and I'm having the same problem except my computer wont turn on unless I take 3 sticks of ram out. But then it will work again once I put them back in.. I'm not really familiar with overclocking in BIOS, could someone elaborate? Thanks.. and sorry I found this thread through searching, I didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread on the same topic.

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Sorry styxantyx, I haven't. Our situations are slightly different, as I have 3x2GB and you have 6x1GB - I am uncertain as to whether (if at all) that would affect anything.

Just about every forum or review I have visited seems to give values in different forms. I haven't figured out a way to 'translate' cjl's figures above into figures that conform with AI Tweaker's.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I got a 12gb OCZ Platinum kit for $135 off amazon... I initially put all sticks in, and the board would not post. I removed all sticks and put just 1 in, still no boot... moved it to the next dimm slot and tada.

I installed my OS at that point w\ just 1 2gb dimm, then shutdown and put the others in and came up. I did have to go into bios and set the ram to 1333, as it defaulted to 1066.

This was w\ a P6T Deluxe V2