Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 & nForce4 SLI Intel x16...PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2009 9:43:18 PM

I have updated all my drivers to the latest versions: nForce 15.23, GeForce 182.06, and System Tools 6.03.

I have done everything correctly as far as uninstalling old drivers, installing new ones in the correct order, etc...

When I open the Control Panel, I only have the basic options: 3D Settings, Display, Syetem Update, and Video/Television. I have no Performance settings, Overclock utility, Temp info, etc. I have gone through everything I can think of and everything I could find in the forums. I deleted the odd characters at the bottom of nvsuoem as one post suggested...and on and on.

This is what I am running:
Vista Ultimate 32-bit
nForce4 SLI Intel x16
GeForce 6800 x 2
Dual Core Pentium D 3.0GHz
5.0 GB RAM

If anyone has a suggestion or a fix, you have my thanks.
February 22, 2009 11:52:01 PM

It's possible you have the drivers selected as normal not advanced user in Control Panel thus locking out the more advanced options. Also overclocking isn't normally in the drivers you have to download nTune.
February 23, 2009 12:17:15 AM

I support 'spanner_razor''s comment. For Overclocking, there are several other utilities available. For example, nTune, RivaTuner etc.

You have 5GB RAM ! Why don't you use 64bit O.S, so that you could utilise it.
Related resources
February 23, 2009 12:25:00 AM

if i remember right, the nvidia control panel does have an overclocking section, but it has to be enabled by selecting advanced user settings, and then has to be further unlocked after you agree to some kind of agreement so that you know that doing so isn't supported by nvidia.
February 23, 2009 12:32:00 AM

there are some OC option using nview - performance monitor.

I agreed that maybe you are in normal mode, you need to use the Advanced mode.

From nvidia site: (nvidia system tool)

System tuning and monitoring support:
nForce 4, 5, 6 and 7 series motherboards

Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) support:
nForce 790i Ultra SLI
nForce 790i SLI
nForce 780a SLI
nForce 780i SLI
nForce 680i SLI
nForce 680i LT SLI

GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring support:
GeForce 5 (FX), 6, 7, 8, 9, and 200 series GPUs
February 23, 2009 1:13:56 AM

spanner_razor said:
It's possible you have the drivers selected as normal not advanced user in Control Panel thus locking out the more advanced options. Also overclocking isn't normally in the drivers you have to download nTune.

I kept checking the "Define Custom View" menu to see if anything additional would show up there, but to no avail. I just left it on Advanced Settings... But for sure, I was viewing all available categories....
February 23, 2009 1:19:55 AM

boulard83 said:

nForce 790i Ultra SLI
nForce 790i SLI
nForce 780a SLI
nForce 780i SLI
nForce 680i SLI
nForce 680i LT SLI

With System Tools 6.03, I get nTune (but it is just called "Performance" on the Start Menu after it installs). If I open nTune/Performance, it simply opens the Control Panel and shows nothing new Performance/OC wise. It does add the System Update Utility, and the System Monitor works fine as well from the desktop. (The other 2 pieces that come with System Tools 6.03 are the System Monitor Utility and System Update Utility.)
February 23, 2009 1:41:59 AM

meodowla said:
I support 'spanner_razor''s comment. For Overclocking, there are several other utilities available. For example, nTune, RivaTuner etc.

You have 5GB RAM ! Why don't you use 64bit O.S, so that you could utilise it.

I am using Riva Tuner 2.23 right now. It has enough capability to do a few things, but rebooting and stuff constantly and it just not doing everything I know the NVIDIA software is fully capable of doing...just irks me.

I almost decided to upgrade online to x64 tonight after all the hassle...but I know there is a less expensive solution to this annoying problem... And the thing is, everything else works great...new nForce drivers and 182.06 GeForce... just the dumb CP.

February 23, 2009 2:01:54 AM

boulard83 said:

nForce 790i Ultra SLI
nForce 790i SLI
nForce 780a SLI
nForce 780i SLI
nForce 680i SLI
nForce 680i LT SLI

If I download the older stand-alone version of nTune (2007, I think) and attempt to install it, it politely tells me that there is already another version of nTune installed and it must be removed. (The one that came with Sys Tools 6.03) Well I tried removing the newer nTune, installing the older one and then I DO get a Performance category to show up in CP. But ALL it has is an option to control the GPU fan and and option to OC the GPU Processor/Memory. And on top of that, the older Performance Monitor that comes with the stand alone version of nTune doesn't read anything as far as hard disk activity, voltages, etc...it just says "Not Reported." AND when I just removed the newer nTune that came with Sys Tools 6.03, one of the other utilities (Sys. Monitor) conflicts with the partially working Performance Monitor that came with the older nTune.

I have gone through mulitiple combinations of all these utilities thinking I would find one that worked, but noooooooo.

That's when I started digging in the forums for an answer...like I said, removing the junk characters at the end of some of the configuration files sounded like it had promise...It worked for the guy who posted it. I had zero luck.

There is something more complicated going on...the entire CURRENT nvsuoem (nTune) driver is installed...I looked it over. It just will not run on its own and it will not show up in CP.
February 23, 2009 12:59:57 PM

Maybe youy nforce4 is too old to support all those utilities ...
February 23, 2009 2:04:52 PM

IM not sure, but i think the performance parts of the Nvidia tool is ESA. correct me if im wrong.

ON nforce4 you have the monitor .. tuning ( 3d settings etc .. ) and your GPU cause its a gforce 5 and more.

ESA is the performance part.
February 23, 2009 2:49:18 PM

This website explains ESA and NVIDIA stuff pretty well:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/501

It mentions that the Performance Tool is included with the nForce Drivers and I am using 15.23WHQL and am using one of the Supported Products (nForce4 SLI Intel) according to NVIDIA's site.
February 23, 2009 7:33:40 PM

your MOBO dont support ESA ...

The performance settings you are looking for are comming with ESA.
February 23, 2009 9:47:24 PM

Can you show me where you got that information? Thanks.
February 23, 2009 9:53:55 PM

OK. I got things partially solved using Sys Tools 6.01. In the nvsuoem.ini file, there was a REM (remark) comment in front of everything that would allow the Performance settings to show in CP. Once I removed all of them, the Performance User Agreement popped up, and there it was. It wasn't reading things correctly though...was reading my CPU at a -1 or something. I tried to modify the .ini file the same way using Sys Tools 6.03, but no luck yet. Why were all those Remark lines in there...?
February 23, 2009 10:55:43 PM

before using Performance tool, you need to agree that you can MESS the thing up ;) 

you can OC gpu-cpu while turning the fon to 0% ... nothing will prevent you from doing it .. so you can burn everything with it, you have to agree with those terms.

I keep thinking your Nforce4 isnt going to be 100% compatible with it.
February 23, 2009 11:09:11 PM

For what reason do you think it would not be compatible? And yeah I know I can melt my GPUs really quick if I do something dumb. I just leave the fans on Automatic when I have the GPUs OC'ed. Thanks for the warning though. So this information is NOT correct? Or what do they mean by "Tuning and Monitoring"?

1. NVIDIA Performance Group (v6.03.12.00) add-on to the NVIDIA Control Panel

nForce MCPs
– Enables system tuning and profiles for clocks, voltages, timings, and fans
– Includes support for Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components
– Displays detailed system information

GeForce GPUs
– Enables GPU overclocking
2. NVIDIA System Monitor (v6.03.05.00) standalone application
nForce MCPs
– Enables system monitoring for clocks, voltages, timings, and fans
– Includes support for Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components

GeForce GPUs
– Enables GPU temperature monitoring
3. NVIDIA System Update (v2.00.49.05) add-on to the NVIDIA Control Panel
Automatically checks for nForce and GeForce driver updates
Adds ability to update your system bios
Includes support to update firmware of Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components

nForce 790i Ultra SLI
nForce 790i SLI
nForce 780a SLI
nForce 780i SLI
nForce 680i SLI
nForce 680i LT SLI

Windows XP users must install Service Pack 1, at a minimum, prior to attempting to install this package. Failure to do so will result in the inability to support USB 2.0.
Installation of DirectX 9.0 or higher is required in order to use NVIDIA System Monitor.
NVIDIA Control Panel and System Monitor

nForce 790i Ultra SLI
nForce 790i SLI
nForce 780a SLI
nForce 780i SLI
nForce 680i SLI
nForce 680i LT SLI

----------

CPU-Z reports nForce4 MCP, Rev. A3.
And the ESA support is just included with Sys Tools 6.x.x...It was not designed exclusively FOR ESA. I would agree and know that my nForce 4 is not ESA. :)  or :-( I should say......
February 24, 2009 11:24:01 AM

your right. maybe im wrong about you mobo that dont support it. Yes its not ESA ... but in your post we clearly see that ESA and performance parts seems to be 2 différent parts ... soooooo

ITS stilll DRIVER or MOBO related ...
!