Windows Media Control for Pocket IE

July 25, 2004 6:22:59 PM

Hello,

I am working on a project that provides unicast streaming
of on-demand audio content to wireless-enabled (802.11b,
11mbps) Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC devices running the
Windows Media Control for Pocket IE embedded into a
windows form.

Does anyone know of any reason why the Windows Media
Control will not be able to be used for the consumption of
on-demand unicast streaming audio content over a Wi-Fi
network?

Our custom player will allow the user to move
forward/backward in the items of a .asx playlist, as well
as play/pause/stop the playback of streamed content.

The number of Wi-Fi Pocket PCs should be <= 50 at any time.
The on-demand audio content to stream are files encoded to
32kbps, 22KHz, stereo, 2-pass CBR (Constant Bit Rate).

Thank you for any & all help given (pointers, thoughts,
anything)

Panos
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 3:24:20 PM

Hi,

i hve an experience in similar task..as i was doin it on video files
streaming on live / on demand...

1. As Default i dont think the WMP in PIE will support the Audio on Demand
feature..or playback

what it does is Get the streaming content from the Media encoder from
particular path and port like 8080

and connect it to port and plays the streaming content on the pocket pc

2. When u want to play an demand..u can create a webpages which has links to
the audio tracks or the list of it,on the webserver

Q: The number of Wi-Fi Pocket PCs should be <= 50 at any time

A: this has to be set at encoder level..not on pocket pc

--
Thanks and Regards,

Arvind

--
"eRiva Systems" - Where Technology Meets Life, Every Minute.

arvindr@erivasystems.com

www.erivasystems.com

"Panos" <panos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project that provides unicast streaming
> of on-demand audio content to wireless-enabled (802.11b,
> 11mbps) Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC devices running the
> Windows Media Control for Pocket IE embedded into a
> windows form.
>
> Does anyone know of any reason why the Windows Media
> Control will not be able to be used for the consumption of
> on-demand unicast streaming audio content over a Wi-Fi
> network?
>
> Our custom player will allow the user to move
> forward/backward in the items of a .asx playlist, as well
> as play/pause/stop the playback of streamed content.
>
> The number of Wi-Fi Pocket PCs should be <= 50 at any time.
> The on-demand audio content to stream are files encoded to
> 32kbps, 22KHz, stereo, 2-pass CBR (Constant Bit Rate).
>
> Thank you for any & all help given (pointers, thoughts,
> anything)
>
> Panos
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:18:31 AM

Arvind, thank you for your response.

So, if I understood correctly...

The WMP in pIE does not stream audio files??? Does it only
do "progressive download" to play audio content?

Let's say that we can manage to subclass the control so as
to manage it, i.e. make it play/pause a WM file in a .ASX
playlist, move forwards/backwards in the items of the
list, etc, can we be assured that it will stream
audio/video files correctly?

Can anyone shed some light on the effective usage of the
Windows Media Player ActiveX control for the pIE (v8.0) ?

Panos

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 8:50:50 PM

you are right!

PIE with WMP can receive and play back live streaming of audio/video

only thing is it cannot pause/resume from that point..

suppose u paused a audio content on its 30th second and recume after 5
seconds.

it will start with 35th second of audio ,not from 31st second..even in
playlist (ASX)

i hope im not confusing u..

-----

--