Slow speeds, etc.

gsam77

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I'm a complete rookie to switches so please bear with me.

I have a Linksys EZXS88W switch and am utilizing it so I can run internet to 2 computers. (I think I bought the right thing...?)

1. Computer #1 has internet access but is very slow. My usual internet connection is 15Mb/s down but after connecting through the switch, it is now at approximately 500 Kb/s. What can I do to resolve this speed issue?

2. Computer #2 is unable to connect to the internet at all. I have swapped the wiring between the 2 computers to ensure the ethernet cable was not to blame. I also swapped the 2 plugs to make sure the #2 port on the switch was not at fault. I have also tried rebooting that computer as well as tried to disable/enable the connection in network properties. Trying and ruling out those 4 possibilities pretty much exhausts my troubleshooting in that department. Why am I not able to establish a connection on computer #2?

lotussama

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
You need a router, not a switch.

dmercer109

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I am going to guess that you have some sort of cable internet but that aside...if you are plugging your modem directly into a switch, you are trying to distribute 1 IP address that your ISP gives you to many different computers. There are 3 ways to go about this and that would be to buy a router...:), install a second NIC in your PC and utilize ICS, and last is buy some more IP's from your ISP for each computer on your network. I wouldn't recommend the last one.

sturm

Splendid
You need a SOHO router (small office/home office). These "routers" come with a built in switch so it's really a router and a switch in one box. Any major electronic store like Best Buy, Fryes, etc... will have them.

When you get the router you will need to turn off the cable modem, connect everything, then power up the modem, then the router then the pc.