Best Graphics Card for 300w Power Supply

marysdad

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Let me preface my question that I'm not a gamer. I just want to make the machine run better with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver. It runs OK, but bogs down some, so I'm just looking to give it a boost. I have plenty of RAM, but only have the factory on-board graphics chip. It's a relatively low-end desktop. I don't want to upgrade the power supply, so am looking to get whatever improvement I can without overloading the system.

Thanks!

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

A video card won't usually speed up the performance of your system for 2D applications. (Actually Photoshop can make use of video cards.)

What are your system specs?

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
It would be a little helpful if you could post your system specs. We can make a better judgment to what your current system load is and what we think would be reasonable. Thanks.

jadavis1992

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

i have a nvidia 9500gt it consumes very little power but it preforms well. it says 350 watts on the box, a good card for a 300 watt psu is hard to find

I vote for a 4650 it wont need extra power leads and will play the odd game if you wish pretty well, its a good HTPC card also.
As the others say your specs would help, i also doubt that its all down to th egraphics chip and am wondering about what CPU you have ? Newer incarnations of your aplications will no doubt need more power to run than older versions did.
Mactronix