Sign in with
Your question

Need help removing Vigor Monsoon LT III

Last response: in Overclocking
July 30, 2010 5:00:23 AM

Hi all,

My Core I7 based computer was built by CyberPowerPC, and I specified a Vigor Monsoon LT III cooling unit. Now one of the fans has gone bad -- it has failed mechanically to the point that it no longer moves. I can turn the fan blades with my fingers, but they rub against the heat sink, and when I do this the spindle on the outside of the assembly does not rotate.

In any event, the unit is under warranty, so I can ship it back for repair / replacement. My problem is that I don't know how to remove it from my motherboard. I don't have any installation manual for it and can't find any instructions on the web.

My case (Thermaltake Element S) has a plate which is attached to the motherboard by 9 small bolts. Will I need to remove the motherboard from this plate to remove the Monsoon? This plate has a square hole through which I can see a cover for the LGA 1366 Socket. That seems to be bolted down with 4 bolts and nuts. I assume I don't have to remove this, correct?

Does anyone have some detailed instructions for this?

Also, my understanding is that Vigor no longer exists, so a replacement would necessarily be a different make. Does anyone know what typical replacements for the Monsoon would be?

Thanks,
Mike
August 5, 2010 7:34:00 AM

To remove that heatsink, you do have to take the Motherboard off the the backplate. There are 4 screws on the bottom with another plate that need to be accessed. You could always get crafty and try to stick your own overpowered 120MM fans on there...
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2010 2:00:54 PM

I thought I should say something. You do not have to remove your motherboard to replace the fan. You see those 4 screws on top of the heat sink? remove those screws and the fans slide right off.
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2010 4:17:12 PM

laughingboy said:
Hi all,

My Core I7 based computer was built by CyberPowerPC, and I specified a Vigor Monsoon LT III cooling unit. Now one of the fans has gone bad -- it has failed mechanically to the point that it no longer moves. I can turn the fan blades with my fingers, but they rub against the heat sink, and when I do this the spindle on the outside of the assembly does not rotate.

In any event, the unit is under warranty, so I can ship it back for repair / replacement. My problem is that I don't know how to remove it from my motherboard. I don't have any installation manual for it and can't find any instructions on the web.

My case (Thermaltake Element S) has a plate which is attached to the motherboard by 9 small bolts. Will I need to remove the motherboard from this plate to remove the Monsoon? This plate has a square hole through which I can see a cover for the LGA 1366 Socket. That seems to be bolted down with 4 bolts and nuts. I assume I don't have to remove this, correct?

Does anyone have some detailed instructions for this?

Also, my understanding is that Vigor no longer exists, so a replacement would necessarily be a different make. Does anyone know what typical replacements for the Monsoon would be?

Is it Soldered on where you need a solder to melt the contacts to remove it, or ifthe solder unit isn't hot enough, try somewhat melting and using a small mallet and chisel that small!(Home Depot or Menards)

Thanks,
Mike

m
l
October 23, 2010 6:53:25 AM

I myself actually experiencing same issue!
Front fan went bad, and warranty is out. It been year and 7 month.
And anyway i tried to find the website of Vigor, and it doesn't seems to be there. And new egg does not carry them anymore i have feeling they defunct and i have to find and replace fan myself.

These are model numbers i found on the Cooler Master fan.
df1202512rfun
a12025-20rb-4bp-f1
m
l
!