Sign in with
Your question

Problems with

Last response: in Motherboards
June 24, 2009 9:52:31 PM

My Problem is so basic I am ashamed to ask for your help , But here go's, I am installing a brand new motherboard and oops they forgot to give me more than one IDE controler ! that means I have one cable to attach HDD+DVD to the system. What about all those SATA Ports, Does this mean I have to use the IDE HDD as my boot drive and the sata HDD for raid configs? I wonder if there is a step by step list of instructions on how to use the newer tech sata HDD as my primary boot drive.
Please Help

More about : problems

a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2009 10:50:53 PM

they didn't forget ide has been getting phased out for a few years now

all those sata ports are what your gonna use in the future for dvd or hd

as far as directions just plug it in no more master/slave crap and one device per port

only thing to remember is with xp and previous versions of windows you have to set the sata ports to legacy mode (makes it look like ide to the os) in the bios
Vista and win7 run in ahci which is the native sata format
a c 142 V Motherboard
June 25, 2009 12:15:32 AM

I've built many XP systems with SATA hard drives and never had to change a single BIOS setting.

The only issue I could see is if it can't locate the necessary SATA controller drivers. I'm not sure how common that is. It involves pressing one of the F-keys when starting installation and then inserting the floppy drivers. I'd be surprised if this was an issue but there's plenty of information available if it is.

Listen, when you install Windows you should have only a single SATA drive installed and your DVD drive which will be SATA or IDE/PATA (if buying new, get a SATA one).

As long as you can start the Windows installation there's no worries. At the end you can run a program like HDTach or HDTune to see if your average read speeds are correct. For example, a new WD 1TB Green should max out at 100MB/sec and drop to about 50MB/sec.

If you can avoid IDE/PATA then do so. I have a SATA as my sister's main Windows drive, a second PATA/IDE drive (for backups) and a PATA/IDE DVD/CD drive because it still works fine.

Again, here's the recommended (but not necessary) method of installing Windows when you have a SATA and PATA/IDE drive:

1. Install all necessary components only, including the SATA drive
2. Install Windows
3. turn PC OFF
4. Install the IDE/PATA hard drive
5. Boot up (Windows will install all necessary software and configure)
6. Turn OFF and install any other hardware (media extenders, 2nd CD/DVD drive etc)
7. Boot up

It should be noted that it is possible to change the BOOT order of the hard drives. This is also why I recommend starting with just the SATA drive.

I forget the error "no OS found"? Anyway, if you go to boot and find something similar you must go into the BIOS and change the boot order. That happened to me. I bought a new hard SATA drive and opened the case to add it temporarily and test it before giving to my dad. When I took it out and rebooted my PATA/IDE drive had been picked as the first drive. I simply went into the BIOS and switched my SATA back as the first drive.

Summary:
This is kind of overkill for a response. anway, the quick answer is you likely have nothing to worry about. Still, I highly recommend installing Windows with only the desired hard drive physically hooked up.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2009 12:55:02 AM

photonboy said:
I've built many XP systems with SATA hard drives and never had to change a single BIOS setting.

The only issue I could see is if it can't locate the necessary SATA controller drivers. I'm not sure how common that is. It involves pressing one of the F-keys when starting installation and then inserting the floppy drivers. I'd be surprised if this was an issue but there's plenty of information available if it is.

Thats because most mb's default to the legacy setting, he asked if there were any issues and that is a possibility to be aware of.

There are no sata drivers the process you are referring to is for the raid drivers. And no raid is not common outside the server and enthusiast market.
July 6, 2009 9:34:55 PM

Thank you all for your feed back, I will take it all under advisement!
regards honeyboy.
!