Sign in with
Your question

[ECS] Having trouble with motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
June 24, 2009 10:21:32 PM

I just bought a new system and have run into problems while getting to work. Here are the components I got:

Phenom II 720 BE
ECS A790GXM-AD3 Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333Mhz 2GB x 2 (4GB)
WD Caviar 640GB
Cooler Master CM 690 Chassis
ASUS U-65GA 650W PSU

The problem I had is that when I assembled everything and turned on the computer, the board would start for a split second (heatsinks spin) and then stop. The LED on the board is still on but I got no display.

I played around with a few things and noticed that I could get the system to boot up (at least to go to BIOS) if I reset the CMOS switch before booting and have only one memory module inserted.

The only way I've been able to boot into the bios is by using only one RAM module (works in all ports) and pressing the reset cmos switch before powering on the system each time. The memory only works t 400MHz (not full 667MHz [1333MHz]). If I change any setting in the bios or even try to reboot the system, it stops working again. I get no output on my display nor does any other device works.

It doesn't work if I install more than one memory modules. This is a new system build, but I think the BIOS is older though I wont be able to update that until I boot up the board.

Can anybody help me out here identifying the problem?
June 24, 2009 11:04:06 PM

bump the ddr2 voltage a bit. then try again
June 25, 2009 5:57:12 AM

The ram is DDR3 and like I said I can hardly make it into the BIOS even, and still when I'm there, I can't modify/save any settings.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2009 12:53:08 PM

It is likely the memory, these particular modules can be fussy.
The first being they need 1.7 volts, but the SPD sets them for 1.5 You WILL have to up your voltage to 1.7 to get them to work correctly. If you can get into the BIOS, you should be able to change it? Unless the ECS board simply does not allow for some changes, would not surprise me. I am not going to go into a lot of detail here about how big a piece of crap ECS boards are.......I am just going to say return it and get something different. Worst boards in the world to start a decent home build with.
June 25, 2009 6:59:11 PM

The bigger problem is that in my country, we only have ECS boards for AMD 790GX platform available, and I can't afford to import another.

I did some research and found out that boards have some issues. The board does let me change voltages, but the problem is that even if I do a CMOS reset and enter the BIOS, I still wont be able to get the system to POST again till I do another CMOS reset, so setting the voltages wont help at all.
June 26, 2009 1:32:01 AM

I'm having a very similar problem with the same ECS board, ECS A790GXM-AD3, updated to 5/19/09 BIOS
Phenom 955 BE
Kingston KHX12800D3K2 2x2G memory.
No video card (just on board graphics).

After a CMOS reset, my system boots up fine, and it seems to work OK, although I haven't used it for more than an hour or so each time. I went into CMOS to try bump up my CPU frequency, but if I shutdown with any changes made in the CMOS, the system won't boot back up. My fans and LEDs are on, so it isn't a problem with power.
This same problem happens even if the ONLY change made is to LOWER the CPU frequency.
Only way to fix it is to push the CMOS reset button.

The AMD OverDrive utility also behaves oddly, not saving settings, setting them different than what I select, or not showing them right in the first place. I'm not sure if it's the AMD software or the ECS motherboard causing the issues. It sounds the a LOT of people are having problems with AOD, and think that it's cr*p.

I've re-flashed the BIOS, but it hasn't helped.

I'm waiting for feedback from ECS support. But time is running short for me to RMA the board to NewEgg, so I may just have to yank it out and send it back.
July 16, 2009 7:40:06 PM

Have you heard back from ECS, CarlT2? I have the exact same problem with my A790GXM-AD3.
July 18, 2009 7:20:41 PM

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Its looks like ECS hasn't update their bios :/ 

Quote:
AMD is telling its partners to create a BIOS work around which will clock down the memory to 1,066MHz of more than one DIMM per channel is installed.

This is exactly what's happening to me.
September 2, 2009 12:19:04 AM

I RMA'd my motherboard, waited 3 weeks, installed the one, and had the exact same problem.

I've been going back and forth with ECS support since June, without much progress, and without much feedback. I have to keep emailing to find out what's going on.

Finally late last week they said that they've seen the same problem with the 955 CPU, and are working on a BIOS update. They said it doesn't happen with other BE processors like the 550 and 720.
!