X4 630. Can't overclock pass 3.23ghz

G

I have a x4 630 with MSI 785G-E65. I overclocked my cpu to 3.23 with just 1.3 v of the vcore. The problem is that no matter how high i increase my vcore, it won't pass 3.3ghz. Am i just the unlucky one that has a inferior chip. I cooled it with coolmaster hyper tx3. Idel temp is 33 C and max load is 41 C; so, i do have a lot of temp to play with. This is the link of my board http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&prod_no=1899.

I can adjust any of the voltage settings:
CPU VDD Voltage (V)/ CPU-NB VDD Voltage (V)/ CPU Voltage (V)/ CPU-NB Voltage
(V)/ DRAM Voltage (V)/ NB Voltage (V)/ HT Link Voltage (V)/ SB Voltage (V).

I even tried to adjust my vcore to 1.5v. The damm chip just keep crashing whenever it passes 3.3 ghz. I underclocked everything to make sure that they don't interfere with the cpu. I only adjusted the vcore and left everything to auto; i don't know the correct settings of the other voltages.

I need help badly. 3.23 ghz is too slow for me. THank you

Solution

Not sure what gpu your running, but I'm not too sure 18a is going to help with the oc. Here is a couple of good guides for getting and idea of what might be needed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284314-28-power-supply-guides-info

May wanna run it by the gang over in psu's.

Did you try running your ram at 1.7 or less ? If you wanted to run at 1600 I would try. Do you have memtest on a cd so you boot to it and check memory settings ? My 1333 can do 1600 @ 8-9-8-24/1.65 but I get better memory scores...

MadGoat1979

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
lower your HT link by one. As you up your Bus Speed your HT link will increase too. Drop it by one multiplier.

Also pay attention to your ram, might need to either relax your timings or give them a little more Voltage (and i mean little, DDR3 arnt as forgiving as DDR2) to handle the high bus clock.

Post a pic of CPU-Z for us to take a look at what you have going on. Post a pic of the CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

That will paint a better picture for us to see how your hardware is configured.

~MG~

G

Sorry, can't figure it out how to post pictures. Can any give me some instruction to post pics. Anyway, i tried to loose the timing of my ram, it still crash. However, i don't think loosing my memory timings would help. Like I said before, I underclocked everthing including NB, HT, RAM to minimum to insure they don't interfere when i overclock my cpu. I tried 1.5 Vcore on it already, the x4 630 just won't pass 3300 ghz. It just a inferior chip.

Any one knows how to unlock the L3. Mine is manufacture in 2008. It could be one of the Phenom die.

To try to unlock the L3 cache you need a motherboard with the feature and just enable it in the bios on my Asrock board its called UCC. Last weekend I unlocked a Athlon 440 X3 for my brother so it went to a 4 core with L3 cache. I them had the same problem as you that I could only get it to 3.3GHz but I think the problem was the motherboard only supported processors up to 95W and the unlocked core pushed it over (the actual problem was if I increased the voltage beyond 1.4 it became unstable at any clock speed). I found if I locked 1 core and kept the L3 cache I could get 3.7GHz @ 1.5V. As for your system it sounds like you have tried everything so maybe 3.3 is your limit though you could get the cache which is a 10-15% boost.

green300

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I have a x4 630 with MSI 785G-E65. I overclocked my cpu to 3.23 with just 1.3 v of the vcore. The problem is that no matter how high i increase my vcore, it won't pass 3.3ghz. Am i just the unlucky one that has a inferior chip. I cooled it with coolmaster hyper tx3. Idel temp is 33 C and max load is 41 C; so, i do have a lot of temp to play with. This is the link of my board http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&prod_no=1899.

I can adjust any of the voltage settings:
CPU VDD Voltage (V)/ CPU-NB VDD Voltage (V)/ CPU Voltage (V)/ CPU-NB Voltage
(V)/ DRAM Voltage (V)/ NB Voltage (V)/ HT Link Voltage (V)/ SB Voltage (V).

I even tried to adjust my vcore to 1.5v. The damm chip just keep crashing whenever it passes 3.3 ghz. I underclocked everything to make sure that they don't interfere with the cpu. I only adjusted the vcore and left everything to auto; i don't know the correct settings of the other voltages.

I need help badly. 3.23 ghz is too slow for me. THank you

What memory are you using ? 1333,1600 ? Are the timings and voltage manually set to factory specs ?

Are you running thee onboard IGP ?

At 235x14=3.3, keep HT @ or above 2000(2115), NB equal to or greater than HT (with HT@2115,2350 or higher).

NB should = at least memory clock x 3. (667x3=2001,800x3=2400)

With lowering multipliers, have you tried..
250x14=3.5
HT: 2000 (or higher 2250)
NB: 2250 (or 2500 w/HT 2250)
Memory Freg: 1333 or 1667
Vcore: 1.45(ish) should be able to leave other voltages to auto for now

G

I did unclocked everything during the beginning. I made one mistake by letting the board auto adjust my memory timings. My ram ran at 9-9-9-24 and 1333mhz. Although the ram was running at a lower speed than the stock speed, the board adjusted the timing to low. That was the reason that it kept crashking. :pt1cable: I usually let board to auto adjust the timing because it usually detect it from the spd. I don't know why this time that it adjusted to a lot lower settings. Kudo to anyone that suggested me to add more volts or checking the timings of the ram :bounce: . I overclocked it to about 3.6Ghz. However, i had to increase the volts to 1.52 volts if i want anywhere to a 3.8ghz. Is it safe to increase it to a 1.52 volts on a propus CPU. I'll pose the bioses when i find my cameras. Thanks for anyone that really to help me out.

G

I did unclocked everything during the beginning. I made one mistake by letting the board auto adjust my memory timings. My ram ran at 9-9-9-24 and 1333mhz. Although the ram was running at a lower speed than the stock speed, the board adjusted the timing to low. That was the reason that it kept crashking. :pt1cable: I usually let board to auto adjust the timing because it usually detect it from the spd. I don't know why this time that it adjusted to a lot lower settings. Kudo to anyone that suggested me to add more volts or checking the timings of the ram :bounce: . I overclocked it to about 3.6Ghz. However, i had to increase the volts to 1.52 volts if i want anywhere to a 3.8ghz. Is it safe to increase it to a 1.52 volts on a propus CPU. I'll pose the bioses when i find my cameras. Thanks for anyone that really to help me out.

green300

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Max operating temp is 71c according to AMD. I'd back off if you get up near 62c,63c. The general rule of thumb is max vcore of 1.55v on air. I've set mine as high as 1.581 and that pulled up to 1.62 during tests. Just have to watch your temps !

Once you get a stable overclock, then go back and try to tighten those timings down.

G

werid stuff has been happening after i overclocked to 3.6 ghz. all of my standby modes don't seem to work. I tested with prime95 for two hours. It passed all the tests for two hours. I know people recommended me to test longer. However, since it passed two hours, it shouldn't have a problem booting into the window right? This morning i woke up and turn it on; it won't boot into the windows. I though there was problem with the Cool and quiet. I disabled and it still won't boot into the windows. I had to clear the bios setting and reset the settings that i had for 3.6 ghz again. It booted into the windows, and i'm testing it on prime 95 right now. SO werid. The only thing that i did different was connecting an extra video cable(hdmi) to get surround sound.

brickkiller

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
i was having issues with the registration; so i had to recreate my account again. I was the person that started this thread. :lol:

i managed to overclocked to ab out 3.6 ghz ever since. However, ive been having some issues with it. Hibernation and standy modes would not work. When i resume my activity, the screen stay black and i can't even shut it off with the power button.

I'm having issues with cold boot too, it would boot probably during the morning. I had to shut off again before it can boot into the windows.here's my settings

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00892.jpg

My ddr3 ram is rated at 1600 mhz and max vol at 1.75 according to the manufacturer.
I have this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211409.

Would be safe i have set the volts to 1.76 mhz to overclock it to 1600 mhz. Thanks for green 300 for replaying so many times and answered my questions.

green300

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Hey, glad you made it back

Make sure your power settings are set in the bios too,ACPI, try S1 and S3 if you need to. Make sure resume is set the way you want also. Does it work correctly if it's not oc'd ?

Your cold boots.. does it post and just not load windows or not even post ?

Link to your ram was moved by the egg. The 1.59 @ 1364 sounds about right, I'd set it to the 1.76 spec and see if it will do 1700 @ your 255x14. BUT you'll need the bump your NB to 2550 (mem clk x 3 at least) See if you can drop HT to 2040, may need to raise it back up 2295.

What power supply do you have ?

Your vcore is at 1.45, have you tried higher ? like 1.5 or higher ?

brickkiller

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
My power supply is Thermaltake Silent PurePower W0009R 420W ATX12V Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153006. I had it for over six years. That could be the source that caused the problems.

Mine ram is AX3U1600GB2G9-2G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211409&cm_re=adata_ddr3_1600-_-20-211-409-_-Product

My ram would do 1700 mhz;however i had to use 1.76 voltz for my ram. My ram only rate max 1.75 v and i already went over the stock voltage of my cpu. Not sure if it would be safe to increase both voltages so high.

The boot problem only cause when i havent use my pc for like about 6-7 hours. It would boot to the windows, but it would show a blue dead screen after a few seconds. I tried it with default bios setting, it would just keep crashing when it boot into the windows. The only way to fix it is by shut it off and reboot it again. The standy feature does works when my cpu is on stock settings.

green300

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Not sure what gpu your running, but I'm not too sure 18a is going to help with the oc. Here is a couple of good guides for getting and idea of what might be needed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284314-28-power-supply-guides-info

May wanna run it by the gang over in psu's.

Did you try running your ram at 1.7 or less ? If you wanted to run at 1600 I would try. Do you have memtest on a cd so you boot to it and check memory settings ? My 1333 can do 1600 @ 8-9-8-24/1.65 but I get better memory scores by dropping the mult. back to 1333,tightening timings and raising FSB 1482 @ 6-7-6-16/1.57.

Not sure about the wake up while you have a cold boot problem.

At 800mhz over it's getting wound up, I would think your going to start needing more volts. Have you run any stress tests ? Temps still good? You could try upping your cpu_nb a notch or two. Max cpu_nb is 1.55, I don't think your going to want to go over 1.4. NB is at 2550 and HT at 2250 now? (even for 1333!)

I'm sure you can squeak some more out of it, but not until you know your psu isn't flaking out on you. Wouldn't want it to stroke anything else.

Solution