Sign in with
Your question

Vertex 1 60GB or Agility 2 60GB (Or Kingston V-Series 64GB)?

Last response: in Storage
August 3, 2010 4:21:54 PM

I am making a new build, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Intel C2Q Q8200, Gigabyte UD4 Motherboard, 4 GB DDR2.

I don't yet have a boot drive for my computer. I need to have the speed that an SSD gives me and based on my other builds, 60GB is the sweet spot for size and price. I have a budget, and right now, I can get either a 1st generation OCZ Vertex drive (Indilix) or a 2nd generation Agility II Drive (SandForce) for roughly the same price. I have experience with Vertex 1 60GB drives, and they are great, but to tend to degrade over time. I am told that the SandForce drives maintain a more consistent speed over the life of the drive. As this will be a workhorse computer, I can't be worrying about long term performance, but the Vertex was never THAT slow, just not as spiffy as when new.

So, does anyone have any experience with the Agility II? Should I go for the Agility II or the Vertex I?

Also, I could save 40 dollars and perhaps get a Kingston 64GB drive. I am just afraid that in the long run, the SSD will not be as fast as advertised, and Kingston doesn't have quite the support network as OCZ does...
a c 98 G Storage
August 3, 2010 8:51:42 PM

Agility 2 over Vertex 1, and way over Kingston.

Newer drives are much better than there old siblings.

How much more for a Vertex 2?
August 3, 2010 9:01:40 PM

I can get an Agility 2 from Microcenter for 150 AR and a Vertex 2 60 for 170 AR. But I can barely afford the Agility 2...
Related resources
August 3, 2010 10:49:19 PM

So, you would get the Agility 2 before you'd get the Vertex 1?

Also, this was more a question of bang for the buck. I am not building a gaming machine. I need to watch the occasional flash movie at 1080p and I want to do a lot of simultaneous business stuff, and I have a separate 750gb RAID-1 array for my data.

I am just wondering if the Kingston (jmicron) the Vertex (Indillix) or the Agility 2 (SandForce) is more reliable in the long run.
a c 98 G Storage
August 3, 2010 11:06:26 PM

Seen bad reveiws for JMicron, Good reveiws for Indillix & SandForce, even in here.
August 4, 2010 6:12:51 PM

In fairness, the jmicron controllers that most people review are the old 1st gen ones. I rarely see any new reviews about current jmicron controllers that have them as bad... Maybe not as good as indillix or sandforce, but solid...
August 16, 2010 2:06:34 AM

Anybody use the current jmicron controllers?
August 27, 2010 2:31:04 PM

It appears that Hot-Deals.org has answered most of my questions today.

They put a grid up of different SSDs and their speed/reliability (based on drive failures) and pros and cons of many drives, as well as their recommendations. It turns out the SandForce drives are proving a bit unreliable. Not unexpected for a whole new concept and controller for SSDs.

I have heard that some Indillix drives have also had higher rates of failure than the Kingston V Series, which is exactly what I was asking. While the SandForce controllers are faster than current generation J-Micron controllers, if it is reliability I am looking for, the Kingston drives with JMicron controllers appear to be a bit more reliable in the long haul, which is EXACTLY what I expected.

Intel is the best balance of speed and reliability, and they still make you pay for it.

Basically, if I am on a budget, Kingston, otherwise, Intel, for mission critical solutions

Tortoise and the Hare I suppose.

Wish I could mark hot-deals.org the 'Best Answer'.
August 27, 2010 6:15:48 PM

Maybe you can at least post the web URL
!