dldude

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
I have a 1.5yr old system I built. It has worked perfection but last night while I was sleeping, it turned it self off (maybe we had a power outage due to a snowstorm here). I got up this morning and hit the power button. The light came on and all the parts started wizzing normally, but no POST. I opened it up with just the power connected and turn it on again. All the fans turn, the CD drive can open an close. It seems completely normal however the computer does not past POST (and the monitor says it has no input). Could this be a dead video card? Do you think it's a bad mobo? I'm iffy on the mobo because all the connected parts seem to get power and information.

The mobo is a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

I'd have to say it's either the PSU or RAM. Try taking out a stick of RAM and see if it posts. If it doesn't post, swap sticks of RAM and try the other one. If you can get it to post with just one stick of RAM, you should probably run memtest86+ to test for RAM errors.

dldude

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
What in the PSU could be causing the issue? I feel like it's supplying power fine (and always has since ive owned it)

*Edit:
I swapped around all of my RAM sticks and found once that kept it from POSTing. I'll run that check with the others. I'm now booting correctly to Windows.

Thanks very much for your quick help! You're a lifesaver over here!!

dldude

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Since I think it was a RAM problem, would the computer have shut off when the RAM died? The PC has never shut off before out of nowhere.

You said you may have had a power outage. Do you know for sure if you did or not? What model of PSU do you have? It looks like it's probably fine since you're now booting.

Looks like it's time for a RAM upgrade unless your RAM has a lifetime warranty.

dldude

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
My roommate said it was a power outage (good news)

I had 4GB of Gskill PC6400 in there running on a 32bit OS, so taking the one faulty RAM out doesnt really put me out too much.