Sign in with
Your question

Windows boots safe mode only- can't even reinstall

Last response: in Motherboards
June 25, 2009 3:55:37 AM

I think my motherboard has a problem with a non-key part. My PC started not booting. I thought it was the hard drive. I replaced that and tried running Windows Setup (vista ultimate). I boot from the DVD and it loads files, the progress screen for windows comes up, but then I get the blue screen.

I got different errors, but one of the main was ntdll.dll hard something.

Anyway, ruled out my drives (one brand new), the install DVD (tried 2), unplugged every card,drive (except main) and USB device. Same issue.

Disabled all non-essentials in the bios, same issue.

Since I can boot in Windows Safe mode (with original drive), but can't boot windows regular or even with the install disk, my brother thinks there is something wrong with something on the MB that safe mode doesn't use, but regular windows does.

I think he is right, but any other ideas?

I think since I can't even get to install or repair on the windows dvd, something is really wacked on the MB.

a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2009 4:44:07 AM

Something is REALLY wacked, you and your brother... pull whatever memory you have in the computer and test ONE chip at a time...

"I got different errors, but one of the main was ntdll.dll hard something. "

Excellent, "SOMETHING" will narrow the problem down to almost nothing... WRITE DOWN THE ERROR AS YOU SEE IT, then plug it into Google. You'll actually find 90+% of the error fixes doing just that... Tell your brother to find another job, maybe a paper route!
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2009 7:36:32 AM

Meanwhile, you might try clearing CMOS.

What video card? what mobo?
Related resources
June 25, 2009 2:30:26 PM

marcellis22 said:
Something is REALLY wacked, you and your brother... pull whatever memory you have in the computer and test ONE chip at a time...

"I got different errors, but one of the main was ntdll.dll hard something. "

Excellent, "SOMETHING" will narrow the problem down to almost nothing... WRITE DOWN THE ERROR AS YOU SEE IT, then plug it into Google. You'll actually find 90+% of the error fixes doing just that... Tell your brother to find another job, maybe a paper route!

First off, you are kind of an ass. I have gotten about 6 different blue screen errors, all of them different and many cause the system to reboot before I can write them down. I have googled some of the shorter ones. I am sorry I didn't list every single step I have taken here so you could criticize them, but I doubted people would want to read a 20 page long email.

My brother is a MCSE and has worked on servers for 15 years. I work in IT too, so we have a clue what we are doing. I think we know how to use google. Maybe you should use google instead of wasting time responding with useless answers.

June 25, 2009 2:32:42 PM

Twoboxer said:
Meanwhile, you might try clearing CMOS.

What video card? what mobo?

Video is on board.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte ga-ma69-s2h

Since it boots in safemode which is VGA, I think that could be the problem.

I am pretty sure I need a new MB, but just covering all my bases.

Thanks
!