Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking the 5850

Last response: in Overclocking
July 30, 2010 11:13:04 AM

Hi,

I am pretty much on the noob side of the spectrum and need some advice on overclocking the 5850.

Now, I do not have a desktop.... we are talking about a laptop here:

Alienware M15x
Intel® Core i7-740QM Processor (1.73GHz, 4Core/8Threads, turbo boost up to 2.93Ghz, 6M cache)
1GB GDDR5 ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5850
4GB (2GBx2) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
15.6 " Full HD (1080p) WLED (1920 x 1080) Display with TrueLife(TM)

Firstly, will overclocking the "mobility" 5850 cause damage to the lifespan of my laptop? will the built in fan be able to cool it enough?

Secondly, will I face issues with overclocking the i7 i.e. overheating? Is there any need to overclock the processor?

Does anyone know the frame rate boost i will receive from overclocking this graphics card? The processor?

Thanks
Tom (funnily enough!:) 

More about : overclocking 5850

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2010 11:50:45 AM

Overclocking is not recommended on laptops as you cannot upgrade the cooling and its never very good in a laptop to start with. As any overclock would be quite small due to the cooling limitations I would think you will not get much of a frame rate improvement. Also the 5850 mobility is a slower clocked desktop 5770 (sometimes with slower DDR3 RAM) so the i7 is unlikely to be a major bottleneck for it. If you do overclock the processor disable the hyperthreading as this makes it run alot cooler and games are unlikely to get an advantage from it.
July 30, 2010 12:11:03 PM

simon12 said:
Overclocking is not recommended on laptops as you cannot upgrade the cooling and its never very good in a laptop to start with. As any overclock would be quite small due to the cooling limitations I would think you will not get much of a frame rate improvement. Also the 5850 mobility is a slower clocked desktop 5770 (sometimes with slower DDR3 RAM) so the i7 is unlikely to be a major bottleneck for it. If you do overclock the processor disable the hyperthreading as this makes it run alot cooler and games are unlikely to get an advantage from it.

Thanks for the heads up Simon.

Ok, so I will not think about overclocking the 5850.

You say the i7 can be overclocked but to make sure hyperthreading is disabled. Ok. Will i get any significant FPS boost by overclocking it but not having hyperthreading enabled?

How dangerous is overclockinhg the i7? I'm a noob when ity comes to overclocking and the last thing i want to do is ruin my brand new laptop.

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2010 2:09:37 PM

If you disable hyperthreading and check the temps don't go much above what they are now then overclocking the i7 isn't that dangerous but I don't think it will give alot more FPS except at low resolutions, at 1920x1080 (I think thats what your screen is) I don't think you will even notice in a direct comparison.
m
l
August 9, 2010 1:13:43 AM

Best answer selected by tomg07.
m
l
!