Not sure what my problem is

Forsheeezy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I'm not sure which topic this should go under since I don't know the exact problem../\.

Here are my computer's specs:

-Intel Q6600
-Intel DX48BT2
-ATI Radeon HD4870
-2 Gigabytes of Corsair DDR 3 Ram
- Corsair VX550W PSU
-Antec 900 Case
-Zalman CNPS9700 LED Processor Fan
-250 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 Hard Drive

I went to class on Sunday as usual, and the computer was shut off when I came back. I tried turning on the computer, but it only turned on for a second before it shuts off. I have had this computer for over a year and the only other problem I had was similar to this one. Before, the computer would need to be powered on multiple times before actually running. I would hit the power button, and it would turn on, but nothing would show up on the monitor until about the 5th try. For about a week, I would live with it and just turn it off and turn it on until it ran. Finally, after one long annoying week, I saw that my processor fan was loose, so I tightened the screw and voila, no more problems.

Back to my current problem, I don't think my PSU is dead because I can see the fan spinning for about a second before it shuts off. All of my fans and LEDs work when I hit the power button, except for the Zalman Processor fan. I noticed that the latch-bar from the processor was blocking the fan, and now the fan won't even power on(fan doesn't spin and LEDs don't light). Its possible that the processor fried in the short period that I wasn't home since it seems like the processor fan was broken without me knowing it, but I didn't smell any electrical smoke nor did I see any difference in the processor when I got home. I've also removed my graphics card since it takes up a lot of power, but I still have the problem. I also tried moving my PSU power cord from the power surge to the wall outlet. I'm also aware that their was no power outage or power surge when the computer stopped working. Also, I'd like to mention that the motherboard lights are still working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-John

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
If your processor fan is not on, then your CPU is shutting down. I would put on your stock Intel HSF, reset your CMOS, if your system is overclocked, and see if it's still shutting down.

If the stock HSF is still not helping, you'll have to try a different CPU to make sure that it is in fact the CPU and not your motherboard. However if it is the CPU, Intel does have warranty on their processors and it is worth it to contact them about getting a replacement.

Corsair's are, in general, very good PSU's. But your power supply very well could be the problem.

Motherboard LED's do not mean much. Computer power supplies have two sections inside. There's the main section that provides the power to run the computer. And there's a small, 10 watts or so, independent power supply called the standby power supply. This is always on, and this is what feeds the motherboard LED's.

Forsheeezy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

This information is very helpful. But I'm wondering if by motherboard LED's not meaning much, do you mean that my motherboard might be my problem? And about the PSU, I'll look for a way to test it.

I tried the Intel stock fan, and the Zalman fan actually works now, but I still have the same problem. I want to say that the CPU fried because the Zalman fan wasn't working earlier, but I don't have a spare CPU to check. I will call intel about the CPU. Also, what is CMOS and how do I reset it? I looked in the motherboard manual and I can't find an explanation on how to reset it. On numerous forums I've seen people saying to reset the CMOS, what does that do?

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.

Forsheeezy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

Ok, I'll take out the battery, that seems a little easier. I only need to keep it out for about 20 minutes right?

-thanks again!

Forsheeezy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
so I moved the jumped from the 1+2 pin to the 2+3 pin and left it there for about a minute. Afterwards, I moved it back and tried powering on again without getting a new result. I'm taking my processor to my friend's house to test it.

EDIT: I took it to my friends house, we took his E8400 out and put in my Q6600 and the computer powered on without a problem. So I've narrowed it down to the MOBO and the PSU