A64 from X2 to Single Core

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I have the AMD software installed for a X2 4200+ CPU, but I have bartered that CPU to a friend and am about to downgrade one of my computers to a single core A64 3500+.

Do I need to worry about uninstalling the dual core software?

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
AMD Dual-Core Optimizer

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented.

The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
He said he bartered his X2 to a friend. Meaning he made a deal or possibly sold it and traded cpus at the same time with a friend. He is in no way going to get better performance in any game by doing that downgrade.

4745454b

Titan
The only thing I would worry about is changing the "CPU driver". Before you shut down for the last time, right click on my computer, select properties, hardware, device manager. Expand the computer field, and update the driver from ACPI multiprocessor PC to uniprocessor PC. I'm not sure if it would get changed automatically or not, so you might as well do it yourself. (this is what needs to get changed when you upgrade from single to multicore. If you've ever done that and saw only one graph in task manager, thats why.) I never owned a multicore AMD CPU, if it has an uninstall function then use it?

TRENDING THREADS