Your question

WTF happened?

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Audio
  • Games
Last response: in Memory
June 25, 2009 8:41:05 AM

for some reason, i have strange freezes with audio loops while in game....i heard that my memory could be the reason.....i also, before having these freezes, used auslogics boostspeed's memory optimization....do you think that is the issue and what do i have to do to fix it? (btw, i uninstalled boostspeed and still have the issues)

More about : wtf happened

June 25, 2009 10:29:21 AM

How can people help if you don't tell them what you have for a system.
a b } Memory
June 25, 2009 3:13:37 PM

If you were willing to install some crap memory-optimization program, odds are you have a few other "optimizers" on there as well and maybe some registry-tweaking versions. If so, you would do well to reinstall Windows and forget about all those speed-increasing apps. They don't work. Learn what services you can safely shut off, get a decent HDD defragmenter or at the very least use the Windows version (I use Diskeeper Pro, but heard others are good too).

Have a backup drive for all of the files that don't require speedy access times, such as documents, music, and videos. Keeping your OS and games on the faster portion of the fastest drive you have will ensure your computer is running its top speed.

If you're running Windows XP, try using TweakUI (if you haven't) to tweak a few other settings. It's a Windows Power Toy and will not damage your computer, but could slow it down depending on what settings you choose to use.

You could also disable Indexing Service from your hard-drives, and if you're not worried about restoring through System Restore, you can shut that off too to increase disk-speed and reduce wasted clock cycles.

One more thing to try is to set your page-file to 1.5x RAM and make your min/max the same. I don't know if this increases performance a ton, but it doesn't hurt either. Make sure it's set to your fastest drive.
Related resources
June 25, 2009 3:15:31 PM

Maybe UR OS has corrupted because of Boostspeed.
These softwares corrupt Operating systems.I have many experiences like that.

You have to reinstall the operating system and dont use boostspeed this time.They are all crap.
June 25, 2009 4:49:29 PM

Sounds like the famed nforce lockup issue. Whats your motherboard/CPU/RAM?
June 25, 2009 11:32:45 PM

shubham1401 said:
Maybe UR OS has corrupted because of Boostspeed.
These softwares corrupt Operating systems.I have many experiences like that.

You have to reinstall the operating system and dont use boostspeed this time.They are all crap.

would repair work? or would i have to completely reformat
June 25, 2009 11:34:47 PM

gamerk316 said:
Sounds like the famed nforce lockup issue. Whats your motherboard/CPU/RAM?

E8400 @ 3GHZ
ECS GF7100PVT-M3 LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100
and 2GB of ram DDR2 800
June 25, 2009 11:35:52 PM

leo2kp said:
If you were willing to install some crap memory-optimization program, odds are you have a few other "optimizers" on there as well and maybe some registry-tweaking versions. If so, you would do well to reinstall Windows and forget about all those speed-increasing apps. They don't work. Learn what services you can safely shut off, get a decent HDD defragmenter or at the very least use the Windows version (I use Diskeeper Pro, but heard others are good too).

Have a backup drive for all of the files that don't require speedy access times, such as documents, music, and videos. Keeping your OS and games on the faster portion of the fastest drive you have will ensure your computer is running its top speed.

If you're running Windows XP, try using TweakUI (if you haven't) to tweak a few other settings. It's a Windows Power Toy and will not damage your computer, but could slow it down depending on what settings you choose to use.

You could also disable Indexing Service from your hard-drives, and if you're not worried about restoring through System Restore, you can shut that off too to increase disk-speed and reduce wasted clock cycles.

One more thing to try is to set your page-file to 1.5x RAM and make your min/max the same. I don't know if this increases performance a ton, but it doesn't hurt either. Make sure it's set to your fastest drive.

the only one i've used is boostspeed.....i downloaded it for the defragmenter, then saw the memory optimization app and decided to try it....btw im on vista home premium
June 26, 2009 4:19:22 AM

Repair may not work So reinstall it.
June 27, 2009 7:47:24 AM

reformatted completely, didnt fix, a few ideas here,

1. the games i play (tf2, L4D) have a nasty habbit of getting worse performance wise
2. my cpu is throttling or is too hot (is 64 load at high enough of a temp to do this?)
3. something is wrong with my memory, maybe not enough, (so it uses HDD memory) or that my memory is shot (i've never OC'd my FSB)

June 27, 2009 7:49:02 AM

would a new cpu cause the lockup that gamerk said?
June 28, 2009 1:44:06 PM

would a video card issue be an idea too? i did overclock that (it's not OC'd right now) and when my game crashed (like 10 minutes ago) i noticed the triangle with the exclamation point, which, every time i got it, was usually because my video driver's crashed, (maybe unstable drivers?) (i only got this icon when i OC'd my card until now)
June 28, 2009 8:20:38 PM

it could have interfred with the registroys relating to the dsiplay drivers causing them to crash.
June 28, 2009 9:57:45 PM

how could i find that out? btw.....i re-installed the drivers, i'll have to see if that fixed it, sometimes it screws up and sometimes it doesnt (wierd)
June 28, 2009 10:42:24 PM

Start with the basics and verify that you don't have any obvious memory errors by downloading the free memtest86+ bootable CD image file and burning it as a CD, then booting from it.

June 29, 2009 12:44:13 AM

i downloaded the iso and it seemed to be corrupt.....but ill try a few more times
June 29, 2009 12:48:47 PM

Did some checking; its a nforce 630i...

Nforce motherboards have a bit of a reputation of "locking up" under centain situations. It sounds a ton like the issue you currently have...

I'd take a look at the following:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252088-30-solution-79...

You can also test your luck by goggling (without quotes) "nforce freeze" or "nforce lockup".

In the meantime, make sure you run a memtest, re-install OS, etc.
June 29, 2009 7:50:01 PM

hmmm....im not sure if i can do those, seeing as my mb cant oc......memtest is wierd, every time i download it the file is corrupt.....i have already re-installed the OS.....
June 29, 2009 11:18:09 PM

well i ran memtest, no errors, so new mb?
June 29, 2009 11:40:29 PM

if its doing odd things than try your commpents in another PC if possible
if they work how they should than new mobo
June 30, 2009 3:37:17 AM

well i kind of cant do that, the only other computer is my parents which is a tiny case, so small only low profile vid cards can be inserted....so i cant do that
June 30, 2009 5:23:00 PM

hmm...as i said, it sounds like the nforce issue, but even then, I STILL don't know exactly how to test for it...

If you already tried a format, the best option might be an intel based board. The only other thing I would reccomend first is to make sure your RAM all runs at the same speeds, and try setting a 1:1 ratio with the FSB (forget RAM speed, just see if 1:1 gets you stable). Even a limited BIOS should give access to the memory timings...
July 1, 2009 5:32:35 AM

Have u overclocked ur gpu?
Cuz i had the same kind of audio loops when i O'ced my gpu. Though the problem was sorted out when i reinstalled graphics driver.
As gamerk has already suggested here.
July 1, 2009 6:01:53 AM

hmmm.....well i am unable to do the ratio, or i cant find it.....i have oc'd in the past, and i've re-installed the drivers, but it is still there, i found a thread where i guy gave some bios settings that might help, so i'll have to try them too....im trying to avoid buying a whole new mb
July 2, 2009 1:12:27 PM

well those tips didnt help, but i did notice that it freezes less over time....if i play a game, at first it might freeze a lot, then freeze a little, then not freeze at all
July 2, 2009 4:37:29 PM

^^ I know, I ran into that too...its totaly random, although anything that uses large amounts of memory (Games, IE, or even startup) can cause the lockup.

I'm pretty sure its the lockup issue at this point. I was one of the lucky ones who got his board stable, but it sounds like you aren't going to be as lucky. If you've formatted and temps are in range, the only thing left to try would be a different GPU (I tried that too; hence a 4890 an a 790i :D ). Failing that, the only real thing left would be a differnet mobo (preferably an intel based one).
July 3, 2009 2:18:45 AM

what about more memory? could getting better memory fix it
July 12, 2009 8:41:12 PM

would a psu issue be an idea? i found out that, under load, my cpu uses 303 watts....out of a 500w psu (which i have) that could pose an issue, seeing as i have a 9600gt, 5 large fans with leds, 2 12" light bars that are sound activated and the other obvious power users...
July 12, 2009 9:29:17 PM

Doubt its PSU, as you would simply shutdown/restart if the PSU were under too much load. RAM could be an issue, but how does one qualify "better" RAM in terms of stability? Feel free to give it a try; I'd love to know if differnet RAM does the trick (I locked up for the first time in 6 months yesterday, so I'm getting jumpy again...)
July 13, 2009 12:37:13 AM

well one time, i had a faulty psu, and it caused a lack of power to my video card....caused framerate issues...the whole issue started after i got my cpu, so i dont know what it could be
July 18, 2009 3:43:23 AM

my whole computer is weirding out, i cant play mass effect now, and im thinking it could be the windows disc i have, if it is damaged, then files can get messed up, luckly so ill have to find another disc
July 19, 2009 5:00:11 AM

godfatherscar said:
for some reason, i have strange freezes with audio loops while in game....i heard that my memory could be the reason.....i also, before having these freezes, used auslogics boostspeed's memory optimization....do you think that is the issue and what do i have to do to fix it? (btw, i uninstalled boostspeed and still have the issues)

-Okay auslogics isn't really that good, I tried on one of my computers and it has a weak engine and doesn't go much besides looking good and having a nice Gooey interface. And it didn't defragment or anything, and your memory optimization is all BS, your RAM is oxi-cleaned when you turn it off, its volitial meaning it cant store information when it doesn;t have power. it doesn't help or anything, If you want defragment "running processes", your "Operating System Core" and your "Services on the memory, use Boot Time defragmentation that really works and either way i doubt this is your problem. Its something else :) 
July 23, 2009 6:14:05 PM

Again, I'm 99.9% sure its the nforce lockup issue; it has all the symptoms I've come to expect of it. Get an Intel mobo, re-format, and everything should be fine again.