Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will I be able to run this game smoothly????

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
April 27, 2009 6:51:33 PM

Hello, this is my first time in the forums! :D 

I recently bought an EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB video card. most people would think this is a bad card (it cant run crysis or COD4.) because i looked it up at nvidia and thier 8400 GS was a piece. Core clock 350 and mem clock like 600 it was terrible. However, I bought the EVGA version and here are its specs. (tiger direct)

RAMDAC-400MHz
additional features-DX10 shader 4.0
MAX RES-1920x1200
video memory-512 MB
Memory Type- DDR2
Memory interface-64bit
streamprocessors-16
core clock-567
memory clock-1000MHz
shader clock-1400
Memory bandwith-8.0 GB sec
interface-PCI
connectors-VGA915pin D-sub) DVI HDTV

sorry I know you dint need to know about the connectors and stuff! :)  But I would like to know if I will be able to run Medieval II: Total War with that card and these specs

2.08 GHz Proccesor
1GB Ram
and a 21 inch monitor.

also, please tell me (especially if you have played this game, really) :heink: 
an estimated frame rate and (importantly) how high the graphics, I'm looking for full graphics (besides AA) to run 20+ fps on a non siege battle

THANKS ALOT! :bounce: 

More about : run game smoothly

April 27, 2009 7:03:02 PM

Actually i Got that card before i bought the one i have now, let me tell you ppl will start telling you its a crappy card, but actually with a dual Core Processor and More ram you will be able to run all the games you want ( i run and pass crysis with that card ) of course you cant max out those games, you will need to play at a low res ( 800 x 600 ) and medium to low specs really its not that bad i would recommend you to buy more ram ( 2gb at least ) but i think you will be able to play that game, just not with max setting, hopes this Helps
o btw this card really gets hot so you need a good ventilation system, the card fan its just not enough
April 27, 2009 7:31:25 PM

Chobias566 said:
Actually i Got that card before i bought the one i have now, let me tell you ppl will start telling you its a crappy card, but actually with a dual Core Processor and More ram you will be able to run all the games you want ( i run and pass crysis with that card ) of course you cant max out those games, you will need to play at a low res ( 800 x 600 ) and medium to low specs really its not that bad i would recommend you to buy more ram ( 2gb at least ) but i think you will be able to play that game, just not with max setting, hopes this Helps
o btw this card really gets hot so you need a good ventilation system, the card fan its just not enough


But I need to know about Medieval II :non:  no offence :) 
please the card is shipping as we speak i NNEEEEEDDD TTTOO KKNOOW :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 


Related resources
April 27, 2009 7:34:02 PM

Chobias566 said:
Actually i Got that card before i bought the one i have now, let me tell you ppl will start telling you its a crappy card, but actually with a dual Core Processor and More ram you will be able to run all the games you want ( i run and pass crysis with that card ) of course you cant max out those games, you will need to play at a low res ( 800 x 600 ) and medium to low specs really its not that bad i would recommend you to buy more ram ( 2gb at least ) but i think you will be able to play that game, just not with max setting, hopes this Helps
o btw this card really gets hot so you need a good ventilation system, the card fan its just not enough



know offence but i need to know about MEDIEVAL II: TOTAL WAR what frame rate and graphics settings and such. but your information did help, thank you :)  and what type of "ventalation" are you talking about. do i need a new cooling system? :??:  :( 
April 27, 2009 7:37:44 PM

You actually bought that card when you could have got a 4650 for around the same price....
April 27, 2009 7:39:56 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
You actually bought that card when you could have got a 4650 for around the same price....


2 reasons: 1 im not a fan of ATI there cool just not... me.
2sadly :(  i have PCI not AGP or PCI-E
April 27, 2009 7:40:41 PM

Pentium 4® 2.4GHz (2400MHz) or equivalent AMD® Athlon 64 or equivalent
RAM: 1024 MB
Video Memory: 128 MB
Hard Drive Space: 9000 MB
Other: 128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 2 support
and the latest drivers. Must be 100% DirectX® 9.0c
compatible*. The Nvidia® GeForce 7300 or greater, or the
ATI Radeon® X1600 or greater is recommended.

With medieval II ( watching the recommended specs at Gamespot ) you should not find any problem running it at max settings ( hope you have a dual core processor ) with 30+ FPS, i think
with the ventilation, that you PC is in a good ventilated area, that your Computer have Enough space and a good fan
April 27, 2009 9:02:20 PM

Chobias566 said:
Pentium 4® 2.4GHz (2400MHz) or equivalent AMD® Athlon 64 or equivalent
RAM: 1024 MB
Video Memory: 128 MB
Hard Drive Space: 9000 MB
Other: 128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 2 support
and the latest drivers. Must be 100% DirectX® 9.0c
compatible*. The Nvidia® GeForce 7300 or greater, or the
ATI Radeon® X1600 or greater is recommended.

With medieval II ( watching the recommended specs at Gamespot ) you should not find any problem running it at max settings ( hope you have a dual core processor ) with 30+ FPS, i think
with the ventilation, that you PC is in a good ventilated area, that your Computer have Enough space and a good fan


How do I tell if I have a duel core proccesor. (im not a novice with computers its just not legeble on my proccesor it's too dark and my
head wont fit in the case lol) :bounce:  ! but asuming its not duel core how would it run! :ouch: 
but here are my procesor specs(from my BIOS)
x 86 Family 6 model 10 stepping D authentic AMD 2083 MHz
is it duel core or is that just an intel thing.
April 27, 2009 9:59:21 PM

If you only have a PCI port for graphics then it won't be dual core.
April 27, 2009 10:53:00 PM

Total War Addict said:
But I need to know about Medieval II :non:  no offence :) 
please the card is shipping as we speak i NNEEEEEDDD TTTOO KKNOOW :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 


Umm, maybe you should have asked BEFORE you bought...
April 27, 2009 11:32:10 PM

If I'm not mistaken the CPU you have is the athlon xp 2800+ (single core). If the games requires an Athlon, you might have trouble running this game. Use sites like www.canurunit.com then search for your game. You might be able to pull if off. May be time for an upgrade however my friend.
April 27, 2009 11:34:38 PM

Total War Addict said:
How do I tell if I have a duel core proccesor. (im not a novice with computers its just not legeble on my proccesor it's too dark and my
head wont fit in the case lol) :bounce:  ! but asuming its not duel core how would it run! :ouch: 
but here are my procesor specs(from my BIOS)
x 86 Family 6 model 10 stepping D authentic AMD 2083 MHz
is it duel core or is that just an intel thing.


Yes you are definately a novice with computers.. no offense because that is why we are here so don't take my statement the wrong way.

You have an older processor and with only 1GB of most likely DDR memory your game will not run as expected, but not because of your video card.
April 28, 2009 12:38:00 AM

+1, the processor is pretty slow nowadays, and that 1GB of ram just won't cut it. Plus DDR ram or SDRAM is really coslty now.
April 28, 2009 2:38:50 AM

AKM880 said:
+1, the processor is pretty slow nowadays, and that 1GB of ram just won't cut it. Plus DDR ram or SDRAM is really coslty now.


At Tiger Direct I can buy 3 GB of DDR2 for $13 :p 
but about SDRAM I wouldnt know (O.K. im a novice but what i was saying was im not one of those ppl who dont have a clue about computers, and i only said that so you could use "computer" terms like BIOS, CPU, GPU, stream processors, RAMDAC,and/or clock frequency to name a few...
if i was one of those ppl who dont have a clue you would't use those terms.) ;) 

and I have XP so I could only use 2GB of RAM is that enough?
I am a gamer so I would need more RAM but its cheap especially SATA.
Which, unfortunetly my comp is equiped with. :( 
I've heard that if you have much more 2GB it slows the system down
because it has to search through the RAM for the files it put in there,
is that true? and if that is true, then could you tell me how to put more than 2GB of
RAM in my XP?
April 28, 2009 2:41:24 AM

AKM880 said:
+1, the processor is pretty slow nowadays, and that 1GB of ram just won't cut it. Plus DDR ram or SDRAM is really coslty now.


At Tiger Direct I can buy 3 GB of DDR2 for $13 :p 
but about SDRAM I wouldnt know (O.K. im a novice but what i was saying was im not one of those ppl who dont have a clue about computers, and i only said that so you could use "computer" terms like BIOS, CPU, GPU, stream processors, RAMDAC,and/or clock frequency to name a few...
if i was one of those ppl who dont have a clue you would't use those terms.) ;) 

and I have XP so I could only use 2GB of RAM is that enough?
I am a gamer so I would need more RAM but its cheap especially SATA.
Which, unfortunetly my comp is equiped with. :( 
I've heard that if you have much more 2GB it slows the system down
because it has to search through the RAM for the files it put in there,
is that true? and if that is true, then could you tell me how to put more than 2GB of
RAM in my XP?


oh yah can you tell me how to tell which proccesor slot I have so I can get a better one?
I found a 3.10 GHz proccesor (i forgot the cache) for 80$ :p 
April 28, 2009 2:50:18 AM

actually is more complicate than you think, for what you said you processor is AMD ( which i dont have any idea ) so you will need to see what kind of socket it is and if your PSU ca handle it, if your Pc is DDR and you put DDR2 it just wont do anything or even probably will burn the chipset, if your goign to do tht kind of changes i think it would be better to buy a new pc or build it yourself ( i know your going to say maybe that "i dont have the money" " i dont want a new computer" etc...) but it will be more easier and probably better that going on those changes ( CPU change ), there are dual core systems wiht 2gb ram in lesss than USD $700, or even with better GPU Just my 2 cents
April 28, 2009 7:00:22 AM

First off you need to obtain a program called CPU-z, its free and its tells is your graphics ports, socket type, motherboard model, etc. Search it in Google. After that you tell us what the program said so we can help you determine your problem better. As I said since your computer is a bit older, you can buy DDR2 or we really don't know without all that info. DDR ram is older than DDR2 and much much more expensive. If your board has DDR it won't support the newer standard DDR2 ram.

After we determine your motherboard tpye, etc. we can help you "try" to find another processor/cpu.
April 28, 2009 7:02:34 AM

No XP can have more than 2GB of ram, but if you don't have a 64Bit OS then there is practically no point having a setup with i.e, 4GB of ram. 32Bit operating systems are support to support it but they'll probably report 3.5GB or something. 2GB is enough. BUT as I said earlier none of us have a clue about what your hardware is.
April 28, 2009 7:34:23 AM

People there is an edit button on this forum :sarcastic: 

How can someone not be a novice yet not even know how to get there system specs with software...even the morons at yahoo answers manage to find theres...thats a miracle

Example: http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.m...

Or research the serial/model numbers if its prebuilt

Then again if your going to take the time to list your novice and google things such as bios/gpu/cpu

You should have read on ram as well..but im just nit picking now...
April 28, 2009 3:02:20 PM

rewindlabs said:
People there is an edit button on this forum :sarcastic: 

How can someone not be a novice yet not even know how to get there system specs with software...even the morons at yahoo answers manage to find theres...thats a miracle

Example: http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.m...

Or research the serial/model numbers if its prebuilt

Then again if your going to take the time to list your novice and google things such as bios/gpu/cpu

You should have read on ram as well..but im just nit picking now...


Well mabye its a V I R U S F R E E C O M P U T E R
and its not C O N N E C T E D T O T H E I N T E R N E T
Smart One
April 28, 2009 4:17:40 PM

Dont be hard on the kid, we are supposed to be here to help him arent we?? ;) 
April 28, 2009 4:29:20 PM

yeah but he says it's not connected to the web but he's telling unhelpful stuff to us right now.

he needs a new PC, I'll say that now, since even iGPU's are as powerful or more powerful than that gfx card.
April 28, 2009 8:47:02 PM

Total War Addict said:
Well mabye its a V I R U S F R E E C O M P U T E R
and its not C O N N E C T E D T O T H E I N T E R N E T
Smart One

Wonders why i ever purchased a usb stick for formatting or transferring data to my remote pcs.....use common since chump before you get ahead of yourself...

And what is the point in saying its virus free....meh il stop now...
April 28, 2009 8:50:42 PM

Total War Addict said:
Well mabye its a V I R U S F R E E C O M P U T E R
and its not C O N N E C T E D T O T H E I N T E R N E T
Smart One


Thats funny, mines virus free too, and its been connected to the internet since the day I built it.

Learn2Compute
April 28, 2009 11:52:49 PM

B-Unit said:
Thats funny, mines virus free too, and its been connected to the internet since the day I built it.

Learn2Compute


Mhmm i decided not to post my suggestion for him to stop downloading so much free gay porn....i figured that might be over his tech level....

.....Im still confused why he responded like that unless he is a really really bad user...i mean i don't use av and weather or not iv got these supposed root kits like the paranoid users suggest i do my xp systems use less than 100mbs of ram and 10-12 processes i back the systems up regularly and i have no worries....and performance is great in gaming for there processor limitations...which is the entire reason for my compromising on av...

April 29, 2009 1:47:27 AM

Were getting off the point, im not buying a new computer I'm re-building it, and this should satisfy me until i buy a new gaming motherboard earning money over the summer.

But I obviosly can't use the CUN U RUN IT? sites because the vary computer I used to type this is an office computer and it would just read my specs off this computer. could someone who won't accuse me of looking at gay porn tell me what THEY think my computer will run this at, on full graphics besides AA. and I would be very grateful if they own the game and know it better im sure most of you guys are from britan (with the whole chump insult. :lol:  ) so idk if they sell that game ther, i'm from the land of the free so I wouldn't know :??:  but if you guys could help that would be great :)  I know I desperatly need a new CPU so could you help me out. help me to find my CPU socket and to help me find the best CPU for under $100? my motherboard is an AMD sucker i'd rather have intel :(  but like I said ill replace the motherboard soon :)  .but until then i need some help.




additional details: Rewindlabs, i'm not gay, mabye your accusing me so the subject will get on to something you would think is satisfying to you. :D  so would you get off here please
April 29, 2009 2:01:34 AM

Thehe im not the best at insults...atleast where level on something ;) 

Eww i am not british...chump felt the least insulting :bounce: 

Hmmm...download the application cpu-z to a usb stick or other removable media and run that on the offline pc..make sure to tell us your ram/cpu/motherboard info

you are probably going to need a big pad of paper...

etc...list any bios or revision numbers as well...its all important

If you in fact have a single core cpu you won't be able to do very much with it in total war as these games can be largely cpu and gpu greedy...

Im pretty sure we can get you new motherboard with pci-e and a cpu for under or 10-20$ above your 100$ budget shipped....this will allow you to get a pci-e card which is cheaper and stronger than anything from a pci card...

April 29, 2009 2:18:20 AM

Alright...now you could choose a different cpu etc...each different cpu is only a couple bucks more...keep the motherboard as it will allow you to overclock any of these cpus right up to where you will need them well even at stock clocks these cpus will be more than enough for your game...i recommend the following

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any and all of the cpus above will play your game...and coupled with the following motherboard you will have a nice little setup..il say again don't change it because from what i can see it is the best board for price vs performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now pick up some cheap ram...this is a great deal after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now depending on your screen resolution and your current psu your video card shouldn't cost you more or less a 100$....


With the 4gbs of ram the motherboard and amd 5200...after rebate it comes to 155$....so aslong as you have a decent psu you can grab either the 4670 or the 4770 or 9600gt etc and have a smokin pc for 250$ or 230$ depending on which gpu you choose....
April 29, 2009 2:41:16 AM

rewindlabs said:
Alright...now you could choose a different cpu etc...each different cpu is only a couple bucks more...keep the motherboard as it will allow you to overclock any of these cpus right up to where you will need them well even at stock clocks these cpus will be more than enough for your game...i recommend the following

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any and all of the cpus above will play your game...and coupled with the following motherboard you will have a nice little setup..il say again don't change it because from what i can see it is the best board for price vs performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now pick up some cheap ram...this is a great deal after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now depending on your screen resolution and your current psu your video card shouldn't cost you more or less a 100$....


With the 4gbs of ram the motherboard and amd 5200...after rebate it comes to 155$....so aslong as you have a decent psu you can grab either the 4670 or the 4770 or 9600gt etc and have a smokin pc for 250$ or 230$ depending on which gpu you choose....


I have Socket A, is it possible to get a duel core CPU for that?
April 29, 2009 2:58:55 AM

Here some specs I came up with.

Motherboard: VIA VT 6307
OS: XP SP2
CPU: AMD athlon 2800+
RAM:1 GB DDR SDRAM (are those seperate or one type of RAM?)
VIDEO CARD:( shipping) EVGA geforce 8400 GS 512MB(look up the specs EVGAs version is much better than Nvidia)
Hard Drive:120GB (terrible)

April 29, 2009 3:55:52 AM

DDR is older ram than DDR2. Here is a 1GB stick of DDR Ram. Should be easy installation.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
It should work, but unfortunately socket A is discontinued, (pretty sure, but I'm no AMD guy) so you can buy one either thru ebay or a local serice, i.e Kijiji.
April 29, 2009 5:03:59 AM

If you don't mind cranking the settings down you may not have a problem but more than likely it will be very unstable especially in any kind of large battle...

What is your entire budget you could go for with the cpu/gpu/ram/mobo

We could start you off with 2gbs of ram that will be enough and run your game fine...

The ram shouldn't be more than 20$ with free shipping...

Go to ebay and find an amd x2 processor between 5000-5800....any of those processors shouldn't limit you in that game while staying in a low budget...around 40$ give or take a couple dollars for the cpu...

Now before you think cpu upgrade on that old motherboard....your pci slot will limit you and with a pci-e card at around 80$...you should be able to return that pci card youv bought

Anyways just ignore the above for now...


I could give you recommendations all night...just try your current setup when you get the card...when you find out if its enough for or its not post back...
April 29, 2009 5:40:45 PM

No offence. but that is wrong, because I have the game and it plays fine in the lowest setting the only time it lags is when I do a HUGE battle or assault a Citidel I'm asking so I can crank up the settings. because if you've played that game before full graphics and low graphics are like 2 different games. :) 

the card I currently have is a GeForce FX5200 from Nvidia I overclocked it to 294 core clock and 517 mem clock
It's the best I could do without spending any money! :p  its 128 MB interface is my biggest bottleneck, and there's another reason 1GB of RAM just won't cut it. it was good for it's time (4 years ago!) but now its time to go with the 8400.

I know its kinda wierd that im just telling you about this. (me already owning the game and all. :??:  )

But thanks :) 
April 29, 2009 8:02:36 PM

I never said it wouldn't run well...but obviously there is lag during large battles...

Meh if your satisfied with that card the 8400 will have to be of some improvement
April 30, 2009 2:55:44 AM

rewindlabs said:
I never said it wouldn't run well...but obviously there is lag during large battles...

Meh if your satisfied with that card the 8400 will have to be of some improvement


Do you own this game Rewindlabs?
April 30, 2009 5:06:02 AM

Nope and could care less not much of an rts fan atm albeit that may change

I see the game being limited more by cpu than gpu though...rts's tend to to calculate alot

I believe you muttered something earlier about running the game at a higher detail which still may elude you...

Let us know how the upgrade performs....
May 1, 2009 2:28:32 AM

rewindlabs said:
Nope and could care less not much of an rts fan atm albeit that may change

I see the game being limited more by cpu than gpu though...rts's tend to to calculate alot

I believe you muttered something earlier about running the game at a higher detail which still may elude you...

Let us know how the upgrade performs....


Trust me would :pfff: 

It was SUPOSED to come today but NOOOO that was too much for them :pfff: 
May 7, 2009 7:31:46 PM

Great News Everyone! :bounce: 

My card finaly came! guess what, it installed perfectly! and I can max out AoEIII at about 13 fps! I can also max out Republic commando at a mind blowing frame rate! medieval II I can crank up to about full texture 1280x1024 resolution, shader 2.0 w/ bloom and reflection at about 20 fps on a LARGE battle!

enough with my exitement, (don't take the wrong way.)

but like you said my procesor is a huge bottleneck (it's not duel core :(  ) and rewindlabs my "exitement" was just answering you question "Let us know how the upgrade preforms...." so with socket A I cant really improve my preformence much more other than buying another gig of RAM, So i wouldnt want to get rid of my PCI card by buying another mobo w/ PCI-E, could I get a SLI compatible, mobo and keep my card as in the mobo AND install another card and keep BOTH of them running the same time? and I think you (or somebody else,) mutterd something about a PCI-E 16 mobo w/ socket AM2 mobo for a $ of 40 dollars!? (to start) iv'e heard that you should stay away from the cheap ones because if the price is to good to be true it probobly is. is that true, should I buy what i said about the SLI deal for $40? CAN I buy what I said about the SLI deal?

please help ASAP.

thanx for any helpful replies.
!