Will I be able to run this game smoothly????

Total War Addict

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hello, this is my first time in the forums! :D

I recently bought an EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB video card. most people would think this is a bad card (it cant run crysis or COD4.) because i looked it up at nvidia and thier 8400 GS was a piece. Core clock 350 and mem clock like 600 it was terrible. However, I bought the EVGA version and here are its specs. (tiger direct)

RAMDAC-400MHz
additional features-DX10 shader 4.0
MAX RES-1920x1200
video memory-512 MB
Memory Type- DDR2
Memory interface-64bit
streamprocessors-16
core clock-567
memory clock-1000MHz
shader clock-1400
Memory bandwith-8.0 GB sec
interface-PCI
connectors-VGA915pin D-sub) DVI HDTV

sorry I know you dint need to know about the connectors and stuff! :) But I would like to know if I will be able to run Medieval II: Total War with that card and these specs

2.08 GHz Proccesor
1GB Ram
and a 21 inch monitor.

also, please tell me (especially if you have played this game, really) :heink:
an estimated frame rate and (importantly) how high the graphics, I'm looking for full graphics (besides AA) to run 20+ fps on a non siege battle

THANKS ALOT! :bounce:

Chobias566

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Actually i Got that card before i bought the one i have now, let me tell you ppl will start telling you its a crappy card, but actually with a dual Core Processor and More ram you will be able to run all the games you want ( i run and pass crysis with that card ) of course you cant max out those games, you will need to play at a low res ( 800 x 600 ) and medium to low specs really its not that bad i would recommend you to buy more ram ( 2gb at least ) but i think you will be able to play that game, just not with max setting, hopes this Helps
o btw this card really gets hot so you need a good ventilation system, the card fan its just not enough

Total War Addict

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

But I need to know about Medieval II :non: no offence :)
please the card is shipping as we speak i NNEEEEEDDD TTTOO KKNOOW :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

Total War Addict

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

know offence but i need to know about MEDIEVAL II: TOTAL WAR what frame rate and graphics settings and such. but your information did help, thank you :) and what type of "ventalation" are you talking about. do i need a new cooling system? :??: :(

Total War Addict

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

2 reasons: 1 im not a fan of ATI there cool just not... me.
2sadly :( i have PCI not AGP or PCI-E

Chobias566

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Pentium 4® 2.4GHz (2400MHz) or equivalent AMD® Athlon 64 or equivalent
RAM: 1024 MB
Video Memory: 128 MB
Hard Drive Space: 9000 MB
Other: 128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 2 support
and the latest drivers. Must be 100% DirectX® 9.0c
compatible*. The Nvidia® GeForce 7300 or greater, or the
ATI Radeon® X1600 or greater is recommended.

With medieval II ( watching the recommended specs at Gamespot ) you should not find any problem running it at max settings ( hope you have a dual core processor ) with 30+ FPS, i think
with the ventilation, that you PC is in a good ventilated area, that your Computer have Enough space and a good fan

Total War Addict

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

How do I tell if I have a duel core proccesor. (im not a novice with computers its just not legeble on my proccesor it's too dark and my
head wont fit in the case lol) :bounce: ! but asuming its not duel core how would it run! :ouch:
but here are my procesor specs(from my BIOS)
x 86 Family 6 model 10 stepping D authentic AMD 2083 MHz
is it duel core or is that just an intel thing.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Umm, maybe you should have asked BEFORE you bought...

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
If I'm not mistaken the CPU you have is the athlon xp 2800+ (single core). If the games requires an Athlon, you might have trouble running this game. Use sites like www.canurunit.com then search for your game. You might be able to pull if off. May be time for an upgrade however my friend.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008

Yes you are definately a novice with computers.. no offense because that is why we are here so don't take my statement the wrong way.

You have an older processor and with only 1GB of most likely DDR memory your game will not run as expected, but not because of your video card.

Total War Addict

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

At Tiger Direct I can buy 3 GB of DDR2 for $13 :p
but about SDRAM I wouldnt know (O.K. im a novice but what i was saying was im not one of those ppl who dont have a clue about computers, and i only said that so you could use "computer" terms like BIOS, CPU, GPU, stream processors, RAMDAC,and/or clock frequency to name a few...
if i was one of those ppl who dont have a clue you would't use those terms.) ;)

and I have XP so I could only use 2GB of RAM is that enough?
I am a gamer so I would need more RAM but its cheap especially SATA.
Which, unfortunetly my comp is equiped with. :(
I've heard that if you have much more 2GB it slows the system down
because it has to search through the RAM for the files it put in there,
is that true? and if that is true, then could you tell me how to put more than 2GB of
RAM in my XP?

Total War Addict

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

At Tiger Direct I can buy 3 GB of DDR2 for $13 :p
but about SDRAM I wouldnt know (O.K. im a novice but what i was saying was im not one of those ppl who dont have a clue about computers, and i only said that so you could use "computer" terms like BIOS, CPU, GPU, stream processors, RAMDAC,and/or clock frequency to name a few...
if i was one of those ppl who dont have a clue you would't use those terms.) ;)

and I have XP so I could only use 2GB of RAM is that enough?
I am a gamer so I would need more RAM but its cheap especially SATA.
Which, unfortunetly my comp is equiped with. :(
I've heard that if you have much more 2GB it slows the system down
because it has to search through the RAM for the files it put in there,
is that true? and if that is true, then could you tell me how to put more than 2GB of
RAM in my XP?

oh yah can you tell me how to tell which proccesor slot I have so I can get a better one?
I found a 3.10 GHz proccesor (i forgot the cache) for 80$ :p

Chobias566

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
actually is more complicate than you think, for what you said you processor is AMD ( which i dont have any idea ) so you will need to see what kind of socket it is and if your PSU ca handle it, if your Pc is DDR and you put DDR2 it just wont do anything or even probably will burn the chipset, if your goign to do tht kind of changes i think it would be better to buy a new pc or build it yourself ( i know your going to say maybe that "i dont have the money" " i dont want a new computer" etc...) but it will be more easier and probably better that going on those changes ( CPU change ), there are dual core systems wiht 2gb ram in lesss than USD $700, or even with better GPU Just my 2 cents

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
First off you need to obtain a program called CPU-z, its free and its tells is your graphics ports, socket type, motherboard model, etc. Search it in Google. After that you tell us what the program said so we can help you determine your problem better. As I said since your computer is a bit older, you can buy DDR2 or we really don't know without all that info. DDR ram is older than DDR2 and much much more expensive. If your board has DDR it won't support the newer standard DDR2 ram.

After we determine your motherboard tpye, etc. we can help you "try" to find another processor/cpu.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
No XP can have more than 2GB of ram, but if you don't have a 64Bit OS then there is practically no point having a setup with i.e, 4GB of ram. 32Bit operating systems are support to support it but they'll probably report 3.5GB or something. 2GB is enough. BUT as I said earlier none of us have a clue about what your hardware is.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
People there is an edit button on this forum :sarcastic:

How can someone not be a novice yet not even know how to get there system specs with software...even the morons at yahoo answers manage to find theres...thats a miracle

Example: http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=what+are+my+computer+specs&btnG=Google+Search

Or research the serial/model numbers if its prebuilt

Then again if your going to take the time to list your novice and google things such as bios/gpu/cpu

You should have read on ram as well..but im just nit picking now...

Total War Addict

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

Well mabye its a V I R U S F R E E C O M P U T E R
and its not C O N N E C T E D T O T H E I N T E R N E T
Smart One

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
yeah but he says it's not connected to the web but he's telling unhelpful stuff to us right now.

he needs a new PC, I'll say that now, since even iGPU's are as powerful or more powerful than that gfx card.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Wonders why i ever purchased a usb stick for formatting or transferring data to my remote pcs.....use common since chump before you get ahead of yourself...

And what is the point in saying its virus free....meh il stop now...

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Thats funny, mines virus free too, and its been connected to the internet since the day I built it.

Learn2Compute