Sign in with
Your question

My C drive is still really Full

Last response: in Storage
August 3, 2010 10:50:59 PM

Where is all my storage? I have Windows Home Premium with service pack 2, the system is a 32-bit operating system. I have 280GB hard drive and it is partition off C=29.2GB and D=250GB. My C drive is full and I thought I would clean it up and free up some space. I have already run Disk Cleanup and I have even removed some programs and placed them on D drive. Even if I remove all the programs I am only going to gain 2.84GB. What is filling up all my storage? I have checked the recycle bin for all users and I have checked my system restore points in which I have none. I downloaded "windirstat.info and I agree, it does show ridiculously large files easy. But, I'm not sure which file to delete. I did delete one file that was pretty big and I knew it would not affect another program and I gained some storage. So I know it works. I just don't which file to delete. Can someone help me with this issue? :fou: 

More about : drive full

August 4, 2010 2:58:57 AM

OOPs, I have Vista home Premium. The computer was already formatted and Windows was installed when I recieved it.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
August 4, 2010 3:31:18 AM

Disk2Legacy said:
What is filling up all my storage?
It should be pretty obvious with WinDirStat - just click on the biggest square and it will tell you what file it is. After that it's just a matter of deciding whether you need it or not.

30GB is pretty slim for Windows, particularly if you have anything significant in the way of programs installed.
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2010 3:50:24 AM

Disk2Legacy said:
Where is all my storage? I have Windows Home Premium with service pack 2, the system is a 32-bit operating system. I have 280GB hard drive and it is partition off C=29.2GB and D=250GB. My C drive is full and I thought I would clean it up and free up some space. I have already run Disk Cleanup and I have even removed some programs and placed them on D drive. Even if I remove all the programs I am only going to gain 2.84GB. What is filling up all my storage? I have checked the recycle bin for all users and I have checked my system restore points in which I have none. I downloaded "windirstat.info and I agree, it does show ridiculously large files easy. But, I'm not sure which file to delete. I did delete one file that was pretty big and I knew it would not affect another program and I gained some storage. So I know it works. I just don't which file to delete. Can someone help me with this issue? :fou: 

If you have not already done so go to you Windows Explorer and from the Tools Menu/VIEW make sure you check SHOW HIDDEN FILES. Then check dir C:\WINDOWS (or what ever your root directory for your Windows system is) and look for all the Windows Update Uninstall Folders the will look like
$NtUninstallKB...... These can eat large volumes of space and if your system is stable they are not needed. You can delete these with no problems. Make sure you do not remove $hf_mig$ as this is required. You may also want to look into a tool to add space to your C partition from the 250GB D partition. EASEUS Partition Manager is free and pretty easy to use.
m
l
August 4, 2010 2:02:29 PM

This isn't new and is typical of windows and osx. There is always something that needs to be cleaned out. I suggest going through your programs once more and use CCleaner to cut the crap that windows and your browsers collect. I can squeeze vista 32 onto a 10gb drive fully installed but that goes fast x.x and 640gb is the same way gone before you know it.

29GB today freed up from system restore. If you are not gaining any space from cleaning restore points from disk clean up go into control panel. System, advanced and then system protection. Uncheck the box and then apply. Once done recheck the box.
m
l
August 4, 2010 2:03:09 PM

You can also move your documents folders for all your users by logging on with their ID and right clicking the folder and selecting properities and changing ithe drive from the C: drive to the D: drive. An alernative is to buy a product like partition magic and to resize your C: and D: drives.
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:26:26 AM

Yah.. 29GB is a bit tight for your OS drive.

You might want to move your page file to your D: drive and also move your TEMP and TMP temporary files to your D: drive as well.

Are you installing all your programs in your D: drive? I would do that since your C: drive is so small as you would want a good bit of free disk space on your C: drive.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
August 5, 2010 1:57:50 AM

Also move the Libraries to the D drive: My Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, Music.

Windows Vista and 7 MIGHT have a way to remove the partition. It's called "Extend Volume" in Disk Management:

start/computer/right-click/choose manage/choose Disk Management in left pane/right-click on graphic display of drive C/choose Extend Volume.

A wizard opens up.

I'd say 100GB should be a very generous size.
m
l
!