New system won't turn on!

jacobdjanze

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
I just put this computer together last night, it's only the 2nd one I've ever done myself (the 1st had no problems). Assuming red/green=positive and white=negative, I connected everything to the front panel header correctly.

I bought this motherboard a couple years ago and never opened it, forgetting I even had it. I also forgot that it had no onboard video, so I didn't buy one when I went to get everything else (figured once I had it all set up I'd switch my card from my old computer to it anyway)... so oddly enough, I actually tried a test boot with no video output at all. The power light is the ONLY indication anything has happened. Neither the chassis fan or even the cpu fan will turn on... for this reason I fear leaving it on much longer than 5 seconds incase the CPU is actually running...

If the cpu fan is properly connected, along with both of the motherboards PSU connections, what could cause the CPU fan not to spin or the computer not to boot?

Could I have botched the cpu or socket during CPU installation? The cpu went in very easily but when fastened it down with the load lever, it took quite a bit more pressure to shut than I expected it to.

As for static, I did not use a grounded wrist strap or anything. I was working on a hardwood floor & wooden table, and touched my PSU/case before handling hardware each time my hands made fresh contact with a device. I also made sure the cat was outside, though through a window I didn't know was open he did get in for a few moments... I really doubt it was his fault, even if static was the problem.

I really hope there's some really simple fix because I overlooked some little thing, I don't want to find out I've got any dead parts!

edits:

system specs are
mobo: ASRock 4COREDUAL-VSTA (atx/s775)
CPU: Celeron Dual-Core E1200
mem: Crucial Rendition 2GB (21X1GB) PC2-5300 DDR2-667
case: Logisys CS206BK
PSU: Logisys PS480WD

...never found a solution but everything is fine now!

jacobdjanze

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Does the PC POST? If it doesn't POST keep taking stuff out till it does. If it never POSTs you can assume dead mobo."]Does the PC POST? If it doesn't POST keep taking stuff out till it does. If it never POSTs you can assume dead mobo.
As I said, there's actually no video output right now. I'll take my video card from my old computer tomorrow so I can test and see if it POSTs

What power supply do you have? check if it working properly...
Logisys 480W "PS480WD"

What are the full system
specs? About the connectors, polarity matters only for the LEDs, not for the Reset and Power switches.
OK. Could the LEDs being plugged in backwards in anyway damage the system, or would it just stop the lights from working?

and here's my system specs
mobo: ASRock 4COREDUAL-VSTA (atx/s775)
CPU: Celeron Dual-Core E1200
mem: Crucial Rendition 2GB (21X1GB) PC2-5300 DDR2-667
case: Logisys CS206BK
PSU: Logisys PS480WD

...Yes, I know, my CPU is a joke. Was working with a very low budget, and if not for already owning the motherboard and having no choice regarding socket I would have gone for a better low-cost cpu like an AMD X2

:??: If it is turning on properly and the mobo isn't dead, is there any reason it wouldn't trigger the CPU fan??

I would love to get this thing running, so any help is much appreciated!

I found nothing about your PSU, but it isn't a high quality unit. Does that PSU have a 4-pin ATX CPU connector and is it connected to the motherboard socket near the parallel port?

LEDs being plugged in backwards just don't work. It can't cause damage; otherwise the connectors would be keyed.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Well the first two things i'd try is shorting your psu. Make sure that's not the problem. Do this by taking a paper clip and touching the green wire with one of the black wires. Just see if the fans start spinning (It should because you said your getting a green light on the motherboard.) Next try shorting the motherboard's power switch. Where you plugged in your case's power switch take that same paper clip or a flat head screw driver and touch the two pins together. see if this causes your motherboard to come on. If it does, then the problem is in the computer cases's switch.

Also try clearing your cmos. Probally won't fix anything but worth a shot.

jacobdjanze

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
I found nothing about your PSU, but it isn't a high quality unit. Does that PSU have a 4-pin ATX CPU connector and is it connected to the motherboard socket near the parallel port?
yes the 4-pin connector is plugged in below my PSU, to the upper/rear corner of my mobo near the parallel port. According to my mobo installation guide, it should be the ATX 12V connector.

jacobdjanze

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
I just did the PSU test and the PSU works.... but much to my surprise, so does everything else!

I'm still yet to properly test it, I'm just happy to be able to turn it on, see the pretty blue lights and hear 3 fans whirring. I've got limited time and various tasks on my old computer which require the video card to be installed and I'm not terribly enthusiastic about swapping it back and forth repeatedly... I'll swap it once to test it out, and go out and buy a new video card after I at least see a POST or maybe after I install windows.

jacobdjanze

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Basically, I've done nothing... I unplugged the PSU from my mobo and other components, tested it, plugged it back in and started up my computer. I'm positive nothing has changed and am bewildered by this spontaneous success that came from failure... Still a bit concerned about what was causing it and if there's still any issues with it, but damn happy to see the thing run.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I know this problem happened recently from another poster. Sometime people are not pushing the card down all the way so that it seats properly. I'm wondering if this was the same case for you.

jacobdjanze

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Well, it's running great! Windows XP installed and setting up is going along nicely, I should be done the transition and using this (I'm posting from it now) computer as my primary one by the end of the day

:bounce:

Sometime people are not pushing the card down all the way so that it seats properly. I'm wondering if this was the same case for you.
What card??

jacobdjanze

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
oh haha I was just confused because I thought you were talking about something other than the video card.

That wasn't my problem, as I said above I was having problems before even using a video card. When I tried to power on, all I get was a green power LED, but my CPU fan, case fan, and even power supply fan would not spin and my decorative blue LED's would not light up. It was as if the only thing that worked was my power indicator... now even if I was using a video card and hadn't fully inserted it, that would be a crazy consequence would it not?