What companies don't pay rebates???

donfm

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2004
Ok I was alarmed to read how many people are getting stiffed on rebates. It sounds like companies are scamming people just to get them to buy their hardware. The old adage holds if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

As a service to all the new system builders I was wondering which companies are notorious for not paying or giving you a hard time getting your rebates. I want to avoid them when I buy my hardware for my new system.

:non:

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I find smaller companies tend to be worse than brand name companies as big companies have an image to uphold.

When I build a new computer from the ground up (had to give old computer to my sister) I bought a case mostly because I liked the styling, wasn't worried about thin metal or the fact I would have to rework some of the alignment. Went with an ATOP case which offered a $15 rebate, which I never saw, but they always seem to have a rebate on Newegg.

Gigabyte eventually sent me the rebate on the GPU I ordered, but I did have a tech support issue on the card so maybe they held off a little so they wouldn't get ripped off.

Sapphire rebates are a scam as is In win. Don't expect to get your rebate from these two companies. There are a lot of companies out there scamming consumers with the rebate scam. They have every excuse in the world. I think I've heard them all. You would think Santa Claus is the leader of the free world and 'scam' is the politically correct thing to do.

I have sent in about 10 rebates over the years, and I think I have gotten maybe 2 back. My fault I guess most of the time, but the point is...they don't make it quick and easy, hoping most people won't mess with them. There is always some detail they bring up that I seem to have left. One was a very large rebate ($200) from AT&T about 10 years ago. After literally months, and dozens of phone calls, and hours on the phone, refaxing documents, etc. I finally just gave up and never got a single dime from them.
Bottom line for me, they are not worth the time or headache.
When I buy something, I pay absolutely no attention to the rebate.
I have sales people pointing me towards items with rebates all the time.
I say..."Okay, you give me 50% of the disount of the rebate now, and you can fill out and send in the rebate form and get the full amount" I have never once had anyone take me up on it.

donfm

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2004
I keep reading responses of people asking why don't they just can the rebate and lower the price. I think anyone who has sent in a rebate realizes they don't WANT you to send in the rebate. It's money in their pocket. To me hedging on a rebate is just as dishonest as stealing. It's false advertising and I am guessing unlawful. But I suppose the government is having enough trouble with the economy to worry about rebate scammers. Let the buyer beware!!

wingmaster

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Funny the government don't care if you get ripped off as long as you pay your taxes. The government is to busy ripping us off to care if some big company is taking advantage of people. They figure thats how big business works the big guy takes advantage of the small guy.

damien 72

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Got stiffed on a Sapphire rebate for an ATI 1650 I bought from Newegg couple years ago for a build I was doing. From what I've seen here and on other forums, it's apparent I wasn't alone. I'm tempted by an offer for an HD 5770 from Newegg again but I vowed the first time around I wouldn't get sucked into their trap again.

Feb 24, 2006
Dear Newegg Customers,

We sincerely apologize to any of you who purchased items with rebates through us that were not fulfilled. Without customers advising us of certain situations, we would not know that the rebate was not honored. Rebates go to the manufacturer of the item or a 3rd party company that they set up to process them. The actions that take place are not brought to our attention unless customers tell us.

If the specified time exceeds and you have not received your rebate, please contact us with a copy of the rebate form and invoice you submitted along with all other appropriate information so we can investigate and document the situation accordingly.

Thank You,
Newegg.com

Thank you for responding. This thread is old, but Sapphire has faild to pay the rebate on two ocasions for graphics cards I have purchased at newegg. The second time, I filed a complaint with the Attorney General's office in CA. Sapphire STILL refused to pay the rebate. Take a look at their rating by the BBB. I would never again by a Sapphire product from newegg or anyone elese for that matter Their company is disgusting. Have your customer service look into that bad BBB rating.

http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/MyRebates411com-100035461

G

I had similar experience. They pay slower than other companies but exactly around after 3 months. Athlon Micro is their rebate company and I got paid via AMEX gift card for $20 Rebate done in March--arrived in June.

Good luck and look out for payment from Athlon Micro--it is not obvious on rebate payment card.

Check status in your email or on link: https://sapphire.4myrebate.com/Claim/Home

sitebender

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Yep got stiffed on my rebate too. They said I didn't send the rebate in time that I bought it on the 4th and it was due the 5th of October. I didn't even get the product until the 6th. Then I checked my signed rebate and it said that I had 30 DAYS TO REBATE between the 6th and the 31st of October.... 6-31 is not 30 days! Poor math. Oh and they didn't reject my claim until 1 day after the 31st to make sure that I can't get it again.

diamondbackw

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Yeah I got stiffed by Bon-Ton. They owe me $30 for the stuff I got on black friday 2011. It was actually for a couple of items. You have been warned. DO NOT TRUST BON-TON REBATES.

Sam98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
EVGA denied my rebate because I sent the Amazon receipt instead of the invoice, same info on both, it's uncalled for. They have a ton of bad publicity all over the internet for not paying their rebates. As of yet, no rebate and the last time I deal with EVGA.

Cla55clown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Realized today I hadn't received or heard anything regarding my Sapphire GPU rebate. I used the link above and went to the Athlon rebate tracking page and my claim status is "Claim was approved" with a date of 2/24/12. That was over two months ago. How long should I wait before I start calling and emailing people?

These companies really do make me sick with all their rebate scams you hear about and their painfully slow processing for 15-20 lousy bucks. If I get stiffed on a rebate, it'll be the last product I buy from that company so who's losing out in the long run? :fou:

InvalidError

Titan
The only time I remember even bothering with a mail-in rebate was for $50 on an Audigy-2 sound card that already had a discounted sticker price good enough to make me want to buy it even before considering the mail-in anyway. I got my refund about six months later.

For small rebates ($15 or less), most of it is lost in international mail and currency exchange fees so I only consider the normal sticker prices and wait for sticker price discounts/drops for non-essential purchases.

I've mailed in multiple rebates with Corsair and MSI; never had an issue with either, and got mine back promptly. Props to MSI for paying back the lower amounts in checks rather than those stupid "gift" cards.

ppeay

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
My experience has been that Sapphire does not honor rebates. If you send one in they will make some bogus reason for rejecting it.

The last one I sent in was for a video card purchased from newegg on 7/22/2012.
(1)I registered on rebate site on 7/30/2012.

(2) I filled out the form and mailed the required stuff the next day.

(3)I got an email stating they they received the mail on 8/7/2012. They also say the same on the rebate website and have scanned copies of what I sent on the site.

(4) On 8/12/2012 I received an email stating that the rebate was rejected due to "Postmark date is outside offer's time limit"

The rebate terms also on the rebate website and rebate form states that the offer is good from 06/01/2012 to 08/15/2012. Also it states that you have to mail in the rebate within 30 days after buying the product.

I have emailed them but they have yet to respond and explain to me what they are referring to with the "Postmark date is outside of offer's time limit".

LeeBinder

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Why did my posting get deleted - w/o me getting any notification, or justification? Such attitude and procedure does not work for me. I was sharing what I experienced w/o any flaming, insults etc. I do not mind if you mods edit out something along w. a remark why (as done in pretty much all other forums), but complete censorship for unspecified reason is NOT OK. Please respond.