aikigi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Hello,
I'm building a new submerged computer case that will make it possible to install any hardware.
You can see an exemple at:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

But What I will do is more advance, I will build a full tower case so you can have space to put everything inside. (hard drive, dvd...)

I was wondering if somebody would be interisting to get one. If yes, I would make some more...

I don't know right now how much exactly it will cost (hopefully not more than 400$ just the case), but it will be very good quality, strong and customizable.

Let me know if interested...

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
custom acrylic fish tanks can be very expensive. a much cheaper route would be an angle iron frame with glass pannels siliconed into place. or as they did, just a standard aquarium.

you could also divide a thick aquarium and hav fish swiming in front of you computer. that might be quite a sight, and hard to see the divider. 45c is too hot, so it would take some extensive cooling, or a an airgap divider as insulation.

I would use a specificaly designed oil cooler instead of just a standard liquid cooler.
look for a power stearing or aux tranny cooler.

you might want to cut some hole in the mobo tray, to let the oil flow around the back better too.

Aside from kicks and giggles, I can't imagine why you would want a submerged computer as an everyday machine. Would be a real PIA to upgrade anything, not for nothing I'm always in and out my box at least once a month doing one thing or another.

aikigi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
For sure a submerged computer is not for everybody.
I want a do it for different reasons.
1. you won't hear anything, not fan noise...
2. You can make it extremely stable while you overclock it to a pretty low temperature without loud fan noise.
3. it can look realy cool...

After, for the upgrade, change hard drive... that why I design a case that will make everything easier...

You probably heard about hardcore computer :

http://www.hardcorecomputer.com/Index.aspx

They made a crasy computer, but as always you have to pay a lot to get it and pay even more to upgrade.
My case will be for sure not as advance but pretty simple to use, upgrade, and you will be able to use any components (six hard drives + 2 ssd + everything you need.!!!)

If I make it looks good, easy to use and customizable, I think it can be a really interresting thing.
You can use it as home media center in the living room (no noise!!!), make it powerfull for gaming or video editing,
Or juste noisless in your bedroom when your wife is sleeping...!!

It's juste about what you like or need.
For sur there is the douwn side of it:

Probably void the warranty of the components... so you really need to test everthing before.... or use old component that doesn't matter if stop working.

I will make one for me, I know a lot of people are interested in submerged computer as you can read in a lot of forum so I just propose for those hou want that once I made one, I can make more...

Hopefully this is explain more why a submerged computer. (Sorry for the orthography, I'm french...)

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I'd definately leave the HDDs dry.

I'd test it all dry, but it shouldn't void the warantee.

you could still water cool it if you wanted, but that would kill the whole point. you might be able to just use a few drops of the oil as thermal compound too.

instead of buying a lianlee mobo tray, look at old cases at a computer recycler, if there is one local. many of the older buisiness level cases have mobo trays.

aikigi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
All HDDs and DVD or bluray dirve won't go in oil, only everything attach to the motherboard, power suply, ssd drives and the pump.

killerzuchini

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
The reason for doing this is for fun. I'm sitting a few feet away from my buddy who's building one right now, and it looks pretty neat. (He'll post pictures sometime after it's finished) Same reason doing any mod, I suppose. Albeit, changing out parts would be a pain. But hey, it's interesting.