New SSD coming from Intel or Crucial?

photog10

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I was considering getting either but I have a feeling something will be out for christmas..any rumors or info on anything new specifically for sata6?
thanks in advance..

photog10

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
My other concern is the performance curve over time. If you go to Crucial foums:
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/bd-p/ssd

All you see is complaints about bad performance. I've yet to visit Intels foum so I can't compare, but the thing keeping me from buying Intel is the lower write speeds. I do video editing. I copy here, move there, erase and start over, and I have a hunch that overall the Intel won't satisfy me, and with all the problems shows in crucials forum, I just don't know what to really get..

photog10

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
Sorry but I will not buy an OCZ product again. They sold they're core series when they knew they were defective and were under performing. Never OCZ again..

For the last couple of years Intel has introduced a new generation of SSDs in the fall - I'd expect that same pattern to continue this year.

Note that SATA 6 won't do you any good unless the drive itself is capable of transferring data faster than 300GByte/sec. Most current SSDs can't do that - the next generation may be a different story, though...

photog10

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
Looking to get a new PC for gaming/heavy video editing/heavy PS/Maya
and keep my current pc for internet and basic things. So SSD is a must but after reading the link by RetiredChief I realize SSD's are not mature yet and have problems.
I don't think the manufacturer's are doing enough to solve these..specifically the trim and garbage issues..maybe I'll go velociraptors in raid...not a raid knowledgeable person so will read up on this..

The need for wear leveling and garbage collection is an intrinsic fact of life for SSDs. No amount of waiting is going to eliminate the need for it. The better SSDs available now work perfectly well as long as you use Windows 7 (which issues TRIM commands) and don't use them in a RAID configuration (which blocks the TRIM commands).

photog10

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
Yea, not certain I will move to W7..I simply love the UI in Xp. It's familiar it's stable and it works..I passed on Vista and will probably pass on 7.
M$ has support for xp til 2014, and by then W8 will be out. So I guess I'll go with WD WC and raid..

photog10

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I think they lost a lot of money with Vista and had to recoup some of it so they changed the name to w7 with fixed bugs and made their money back..but still not an OOOH AAHH OS. I used RC..wasn't impressed..W8 will be a big change..

I skipped Vista but jumped into Windows 7 when I replaced my old P4 machine. I found the acclimation period to be quite short and the new taskbar and other features have grown on me quite a bit. Now when I use XP it seems rather clunky to me.

photog10

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
True, it does look clunky compared to W7. Visually it's nice. ! think I didn't like of W7 or Vista for that matter is the way everything is hidden. configuration has changed, it's not so easy for me to navigate to tweak things..I guess I wouyld get used to it over time, but after 2 weeks I removed it from my drive..I can't wait for W8..reading articles as we speak..

Have to agree with sminal on win 7 vs XP. The only holdback would be software or hardware. From the software there are a few that could be a problem and an upgrade can be expensive. Not had a problem with the software I'm using - One is a pain to install, but that is a software/hardware issue. Not a typical program, it's for transfering a signal captured on an O'scope via a serial port. The ONLY hardware problem was not a WIDOWS 7 fault) was the manuf trying to generate revenue by not publishing the driver (Canon Lide 35 scanner).

Although, starting with vista I was ticked off because of the inclussion of DRM - WHICH they Did not have to include and the system would have been better off without!!. I had no problems with vista and have converted all my computes at home to Win 7 (One dual boots to XP if needed. 3 Computer and two laptops.

On SSD, While they will definately improve, the 2nd generation - when compared to a HDD, at worth it. Desktop - Intel G2 80 gig. Laptop 1, 80 Gig Intel G1 (Not trim support), Laptop 2, 128 Gig Patriot torqx. Also have 128 gig WD blue, not sure where to use, may end up being my "scratch" disk for Desktop, or as spare data drive to share between 2 laptops. (one laptop hase esata, other does not - so bought a usb3 expresscard and a usb3 enclosure to house the SSD)

Bottom line, Upgrade to win 7 and I would recommend getting the SSD for operating system/Programs now, then later on get a "Newer" version and then relegate the first SSD to your scratch/working disk. The use the mechanical HDD for storage/backup.

An alternative to the SSD used as a scratch disk, would be to use a ramdisk as a temp work space while working on the file. But for this you need a large amount of phyical ram.

photog10

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I'm waiting to see if there's something new coming this otherwise raptors in raid and will wait for W8.

Again, I didn't like the feel of W7 and don't think they made such a great effort with it to earn my money.

I usually upgrade when it's logical to do so. SSD are all great when they are new but see how many people have issues with not getting the specs advertised by companies. I have a lot of suspicions with SSD and if they are truly mature. The OCZ core left a bad taste in my mouth and I won't get an SSD because I want one, especially since there are problems. I will wait a while and see how they solve them, if they do, otherwise I will be more than happy with raptors.