Power Supply Problem perhaps?

45mapper

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Just received a BFG TECH 550LS power supply. It has 550 watts and Active PFC. Is it normal for a PSU with ACTIVE PFC/Thermal control to have a 4-5 second lag from power up before the FAN starts working? And if I power it off the FAN still spins for a few seconds too. The BFG PSU is not really quiet, it has a low humming sound. Also the first time I turned the unit on - there was this weird buzzing sound that seems like the FAN is having a hard time spinning (it worked after a 3-4 seconds). Is this a defective unit? or is the auto temp control for the fan causing this?

r_manic

Administrator
AFAIK, BFG's 550 series automatically controls the speed of its fan. Here's what the marketese on NewEgg says:
These units deliver higher efficiency with integrated protection circuitry for a more stable and reliable source of power. [strong]The cooling fan varies speed according to load to run as efficiently and quietly as possible.[/strong] Easy installation and a full range of connectors makes this a sure hit with gamers and computer enthusiasts alike. [emphasis mine]

45mapper

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Thanks. yes, FAN is defective. I contacted them and told me to exchange it. I will not exchange it with the same of course, I should have bought a Corsair PSU.

45mapper

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I bought it from DELL, I told them it was defective and they issued me a UPS shipping return label for free (if defective)
Anyhow, I just read somewhere that starting a high efficiency PSU with no load will cause some problems, I was testing it last night with the paperclip. I will install my mobo, video card and AMD Kuma to see if the problem goes away. I'm going to give it one more shot. The power supply is fine it's just the PSU fan that is acting up (I lodge a pencil to stop the fan and the noise went away to eliminate any other causes)

45mapper

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Ok, heres the update,. just bought a CORSAIR 550VX for $40 used (thru craigslist). Went home, tried the BFG PSU with mobo/cpu + video card installed and it still has the same problem, the fan makes a whining sound and it does not start right away. When it does start there is a clicking noise, although computer runs ok.
Then I installed the CORSAIR 550VX, it is as quiet as a sleeping baby! I immediately boxed the BFG piece of ^&%* to be returned. Kinda blessing in disguise, got the 550VX for a good deal.