Recommended SSD

I have decided much to my dislike to get an SSD since the ram drive doesn't work (software) and I have been unable to shrink the kill the pagefile. So the SSD is my last resort. I am asking what is the best bang for buck SSD that is 8gb-64gb that is sub $100 USD at retail or eBay.

Intel X25-M 80GB. The "V" model is only 40GB, but that may be too small.

OCZ Vertex 2 60GB.

OCZ Agility 2 60GB.

But these are all probably over your budget, especially the Intel 80GB.

I wouldn't even think about a Kingston model, unless they have a SandForce controller.

Remember I don't need a large one just one that retains 120+ mb/s write and read sequential that is at least 8gb or larger that isn't to expensive lets say $75 usd to $100. Use pagefile..... Using two drives with the ssd as the paging drive since 90mb/s on my WD640 isn't near enough for my needs and disabling the pagefile isn't an option since it doesn't work x.x

aaron92

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
20-227-393-TS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227393&cm_re=vertex_2-_-20-227-393-_-Product

This is the cheapest SSD I would recommend, it is an Indilinx controller so it has alot more self-maintenance than a Sandforce as it sounds like you don't want go to through the more extensive setup.

(It includes a 20$ rebate so it's 80$ if you follow through with that.)

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I wont recommend OCZ SSD. by reading some review, seem its speed in real world test (such as loading OS by timer count) isn't fast. when buy SSD dont only read spec. SSD isn't a very mature industry.

aaron92

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Remember I need one that is both quality and performance. I need it to perform in games as a paging drive while being dependable for school and work. I already got the mounting hardware to mount one in a 5.25 bay (mod) that I made that will mount 1.8 and 2.5 inch drives while it still needs some work before it can mount 3.5 inch drives.

aaron92

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
You don't need a paging file with SSD :) Atleast I don't use it.

You might aswell just grab the Vertex 2 nforce, you won't be disappointed as it's the best on the market if not the top 3.

aaron92

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Oh sorry, well I'd still recommend you just go the extra mile and get the Vertex 2 otherwise the Vertex series is still an option but nowhere near the speeds of the Sandforce controller.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Which programs requires the page file?

What operating system are you using? If your primary reasons for buying this SSD if for keeping the page file it might be better to either solve the pagefile problem or invest in more RAM?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

5 GB of page file usage certainly is a lot. I guess the program/games must be extremly slow?

You are of course sure that the page file actually is being used so much? Earlier Windows like XP had some incorrectly named counters in Task Manager, I do not remember how Vista is like.

Nope it is being used. I had to get a 9800gt 1gb just to even out the lag. Performance sucks during boot up but over all the machine does the job till there is a memory leak in windows. On boot up I got 4.9GB free ram and 1.3gb used in page file. After using Firefox and closing it the pagefile sits around 1.6gb used. I have tried many of the tweeks at least what noobs can find under the tab in uninstall windows features.

Minimum 54.4mb/sec
Maximum 113.0
Average 90.3

Access time 12.2ms

Burst 121.6mb

cpu 3.2%

I have modded the drive for better cooling of the controller which did help. All I did was cutout the foam underneath and added thermal pads. On the other side I used two zalman ramsinks for better cooling still.