Sign in with
Your question

Could i put a new Graphic card in my pc?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2009 8:45:08 PM

I recently got my new pc,
it's a Packard Bell imedia 2426,
AMD Quad Core Phenom 9550 2.2GHz Processor,
3072MB DDR2,
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9200 256MB.
I'm just wondering would i be able to put a new graphic cards into it?

Replys will be appericated,thanks :) 

More about : put graphic card

February 23, 2009 8:54:00 PM

Does the PSU have a PCI-Express 6pin connector? How many amps are available on the 12V rails?
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2009 1:24:58 AM

According to that link you posted, your motherboard does have a PCI Express x16 slot. So you can put a new video card in there. The question about amps available on the 12v rail and the 6pin connector are important depending on the card you get. You could always play it safe and get something like a Radeon 4670 which is inexpensive, a decent video card, and doesn't require external power. Otherwise you'll need answers to that other question. You should probably start by asking yourself how powerful of a graphics card you need and go from there.
m
l
February 24, 2009 3:37:59 PM

steckman said:
According to that link you posted, your motherboard does have a PCI Express x16 slot. So you can put a new video card in there. The question about amps available on the 12v rail and the 6pin connector are important depending on the card you get. You could always play it safe and get something like a Radeon 4670 which is inexpensive, a decent video card, and doesn't require external power. Otherwise you'll need answers to that other question. You should probably start by asking yourself how powerful of a graphics card you need and go from there.

So would the Radeon 4670 definitely work?
Also is it MSI Radeon 4670 512MB DDR3 750MHz PCIE 2xDVI is that the one you said?
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
February 24, 2009 4:39:52 PM

I`ve not found any concrete details but it looks like PB are less than generous with their PSUs` with 250W being the most commomly mentioned output in the Forums.
The forum at PB has a number of posts on this type of question and more than a few problems, I really suggest you post there as well before making a decision.
m
l
February 24, 2009 4:55:07 PM

Well, I wouldn't say that the 4670 is _definitely_ going to work. What I am saying is that I expect it to work, and that if it doesn't work, you probably aren't going to find a decent modern video card that will. The 4670 draws all the power it needs from the PCIe slot, so your machine _should_ have enough power to supply that slot (otherwise why did they supply a board with the slot?). As far as specific brands go, I don't have any opinion other than that I have a Sapphire 4670 and I am happy with it.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
February 24, 2009 6:57:19 PM

Agree with you STECKMAN, I`d have expected the 4670 to just drop in and run out of the box but having read a few threads on the PB forums it does n`t seem to be quite so simple with mentions made of motherboard incompatability and even BIOS flashes needed:(  This is why I suggested the OP posts there, to get specific, user knowlage.
m
l
!