Connectors to PATA

I am trying to add an old drive to my new tower.
This HP instruction talks about it, but does not explain the details: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01684358&cc=ie&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4120616#c01684358_cage2
How can I connect the cables in my SATA setup to an IDE drive?
8 answers Last reply
More about connectors pata
  1. For an IDE drive, you'll need to have an IDE ribbon cable, which, I doubt, HP provided you with an extra one, and a molex power connector, if the power supply on that HP has a spare one. You'll also want to check if the motherboard has an IDE controller before you decide to buy a ribbon cable. Hope this helps.
  2. The first thing you need to check is whether or not your motherboard has a 40-pin IDE connector. If not, you'll need to buy an IDE adapter card to plug into one of your bus slots, such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158084

    You also need to see if your power supply has some free Molex connectors. If not, you'll need a SATA to Molex adapter cable to supply power to the drive, such as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201002

    Then it's just a matter of connecting the power and data cables and making sure the drive itself has it's jumpers set to "Master" (assuming it's the only drive connected to the IDE port).
  3. Alsenor said:
    I am trying to add an old drive to my new tower.
    This HP instruction talks about it, but does not explain the details: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01684358&cc=ie&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4120616#c01684358_cage2
    How can I connect the cables in my SATA setup to an IDE drive?



    Most newer MOBO's have one PATA connect to connect 2 ide devices. If you board doesn't have one, you'll need one of these adapters to connect an ide device to a SATA controller:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186078&cm_re=sata_to_ide_adapter-_-12-186-078-_-Product
  4. mikey5802 said:
    Most newer MOBO's have one PATA connect to connect 2 ide devices. If you board doesn't have one, you'll need one of these adapters to connect an ide device to a SATA controller:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186078&cm_re=sata_to_ide_adapter-_-12-186-078-_-Product
    I bought a PATA to SATA converter, and connected it to my old drive. Found a power connection in my cables, and plugged the data cable into SATA 3 port. BUT - on reboot it starts out by "scanning drives......., and when that is done, it demands that I insert the W7 installation CD (which I do not have) or load proper boot media and reboot. That keeps going in a vicious circle, until I cut power. Then I have to disconnect the SATA 3 line to be able to boot into my main drive again.
  5. Still can't declare a "best answer", because there is none.
  6. Alsenor said:
    I bought a PATA to SATA converter, and connected it to my old drive. Found a power connection in my cables, and plugged the data cable into SATA 3 port. BUT - on reboot it starts out by "scanning drives......., and when that is done, it demands that I insert the W7 installation CD (which I do not have) or load proper boot media and reboot. That keeps going in a vicious circle, until I cut power. Then I have to disconnect the SATA 3 line to be able to boot into my main drive again.



    The manufacturer should have given you instructions on how to reload the OS if necessary (by pressing a certain key during bootup) Most newer manufacturers setup a hidden partition on an OEM HDD that is accessable by a keystroek, instead of supplying an OS DVD. Reduces oveall cost. You should be able to find a REPAIR option on the OS install screen that can fix certain problems associated with boot problems. I know it's there, I've used it several times. XP has it, Vista has and so does Win 7.

    When you get this request -> it demands that I insert the W7 installation CD (which I do not have) or load proper boot media and reboot,

    run the OS repair option.
  7. he's trying to install an old drive in a new tower, but i'm not sure he means use it as a boot drive.

    you may want to check your bios settings and make sure that it's trying to boot from the drive that was already in your tower, not the one you just converted.
  8. I have given up on trying to use an old drive with converter cables.
    Bought a new SATA instead (WD 500GB), and want to install XP on it as a second drive.
    New drive, new problems:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=32&post=261573&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Connection Hewlett Packard Storage Product