CPU or Motherboard, which one is fried??

the_ricker

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I turned on my tower and I get nothing on the monitor. The P.S, turned on for about 3 seconds, then off, then back on, and stays on -- it seems all is working except i get absolutely nothing - no bios - no boot - nothing

i tested the graphics card (pciex16) in another pc - works
i tested another graphics card in my pc - nothing
i tested PS - checks out - infact i am using the PS right now on another PC
i tested monitor - works

This is a brand new build - and was working great for 10 days until this happened.
i was running;
-vista ultimate 64-bit
-asus p5ql pro lga775 intel p43 mobo
-intel core 2 quad q8200 2.33GHz
-2x2Gb g.skill ddr2 1066 RAM
-Sapphire radeon hd4650 PCIe 2.0 1Gb video card
-Rosewill rp650-2 PS (650w)

I Appreciate any input - i have 3 more days left on my newegg return policy

jmcbride1983

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Mine did the same thing when I first built it. Take the computer completely apart and slowly assemble it on a table or something. Start with just the RAM, CPU and GPU (if there is no onboard/integrated). Power up after each item is installed to see where the problem is. Post back if it does not come on with it out of the case and just the CPU, RAM, and GPU installed.

viper200

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
try removing 1 ram stick then booting if nothing put that 1 back in and pull out the other 1
also try running the motherboard outside of the case
get a clean surface i normally do it on a wood table and assemble the pc on the table outside the case and see how you go then
check if heat sink and everything connected in properly

the_ricker

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
thx, ill try those things.
i just tried my processor in a friends comp - same thing -- i also tried his working dual core in mine - nothing still
i bought the parts through my company - and must be at work in a few hours - i am on day 28 of the 30 day return policy for the mobo - so i think i will get a new mobo while i got the chance - then i will continue where i left off
Is The Asus Mobo worth it - or am i better off getting a better board?

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
Reset cmos, use only one memory stick, try another memory. Sounds like RAM or m/b. Check if CPU is supported by m/b. You might need to get another cpu to update bios.

G

TRY RESETED MOBO, U KNOW HOW? THERE IS SWITCH ON RIGHT SIDE ON THE BUTTOM. CHANGE THE SWITCH POSITION AND WAIT 10-15 SEC. IMPORTANT THINK DISCONECT EVERITHINK AND RESET. THEN PUT ALL BACK IN. GARANTIED WORK. DONT FORGET CHANGE THE SWITCH POSITION BACK.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
das_keyboard_2.jpg