Sign in with
Your question

Is there a socket 775, mATX, SLI ready mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 25, 2009 9:12:00 PM

I'm a little confused. Can someone please enlighten me?
What does a mobo need to be compatible with?
I know its "socket 775" is meant for a CPU that matches that.
But I'm not sure what mATX refers to.
If I have a mATX case does that mean I need a mATX CPU? And if I have a mATX CPU, I guess I need a mATX mobo. But do I need any more mATX components, or is that it?

I'm looking for a mobo, if there is one, that can fit my E7400 (mATX) and run 2 GPUs together in SLI mode.
June 25, 2009 10:11:18 PM

mATX means Micro-ATX it refers to the motherboard, it's slightly smaller than normal ATX motherboards, advantages being they often have built in graphics cards of their own and can fit in smaller cases/generally cheaper overall. However heat becomes an issue with them and overclockablity is reduced.

you won't get a CPU that is mATX the if the CPU is 775 it'll fit in a socket 775 motherboard (with some constraints) with mATX and ATX not making a difference to this.

As far as i'm aware there aren't any SLi mATX motherboards for socket 775, I'm probably wrong though.

If you tell us the components you're looking at for compatability we will be able to help more.
June 26, 2009 4:41:00 AM

ALL the mATX SLI mobo i could find are not 775. There are few AMD or 1366(I7) that are.

Can you be more precise about your complete system ? what you need and want ? Monitor size ?
Related resources
June 26, 2009 12:56:52 PM

boulard83 said:
ALL the mATX SLI mobo i could find are not 775. There are few AMD or 1366(I7) that are.

Can you be more precise about your complete system ? what you need and want ? Monitor size ?

I've got a 1680x1050 monitor. I think its about 22"

I was just wondering because SLI seems appealing to me; that you cn fit 2 gpus in one machine.
But sadly I have a non-SLI motherboard. So now I need a SLI motherboard that fits a socket 775 cpu, but it needss to match with all my other components. take a look.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
June 26, 2009 4:02:03 PM

a SLI 9800GT like your is surely cheap and good. But in your case you also need a MOBO... so this become less cheap...

Your E7400 can fit in any newer 775 SLI motherboard. I would go for a Nforce 750I but you seems to need a mATX ?

What did your have as case ? maybe it can fit an ATX mobo ?
June 26, 2009 6:01:18 PM

boulard83 said:
a SLI 9800GT like your is surely cheap and good. But in your case you also need a MOBO... so this become less cheap...

Your E7400 can fit in any newer 775 SLI motherboard. I would go for a Nforce 750I but you seems to need a mATX ?

What did your have as case ? maybe it can fit an ATX mobo ?

NZXT Zero 2 Craft Series Full Tower Case - Steel Chassis, Quad 120mm Fans, Dual 120mm Exhaust, Top Mounted USB, Audio, eSATA
a c 233 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
June 27, 2009 1:46:54 AM

Why are you looking for a mATX motherboard if your case can accept an ATX motherboard?
June 27, 2009 2:08:31 AM

You can have an ATX case, damn you have a FULL TOWER ! FFFFUUUULLLLLLLLL

This mean a BIG CASE that can have like 2 computer in it ;) 
June 29, 2009 12:31:09 AM

GhislainG said:
Why are you looking for a mATX motherboard if your case can accept an ATX motherboard?

Is ATX better than mATX? And in what way? If I got an ATX instead of an mATX, than what components would have to be changed to fit ATX?
June 29, 2009 12:31:25 AM

boulard83 said:
You can have an ATX case, damn you have a FULL TOWER ! FFFFUUUULLLLLLLLL

This mean a BIG CASE that can have like 2 computer in it ;) 

Is ATX better than mATX? And in what way? If I got an ATX instead of an mATX, than what components would have to be changed to fit ATX?
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
June 29, 2009 1:06:14 AM

Atx boards will give you more pci slots, and sli or crossfire capable. You should be able to find an sli 775 atx board for under $150 at newegg.com, especially in the open box section. Biostar will send you a free backplate if you request it by email, just say you didn't get one with your board (no mention of open box). Newegg has the best photos and I also suggest you download the board manual and read sections of it including recommended memory.
a c 233 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
June 29, 2009 2:01:14 AM

notguru said:
As o1die wrote, you get more slots and SLI or Crossfire are possible. Since you already have a large case, you have nothing to change.
June 29, 2009 6:48:15 PM

For your las question. NO component need to be changed. Its the samoe 775 socket, same memory type, same PCi slot. You just have More of then and a bigger/better mobo.

July 1, 2009 9:13:29 PM

o1die said:
Atx boards will give you more pci slots, and sli or crossfire capable. You should be able to find an sli 775 atx board for under $150 at newegg.com, especially in the open box section. Biostar will send you a free backplate if you request it by email, just say you didn't get one with your board (no mention of open box). Newegg has the best photos and I also suggest you download the board manual and read sections of it including recommended memory.

They're $150 now, but what about in two years? How expensive will the SLI 775 ATX mobo be then?
When you say "ATX has more PCI slots than microATX," do you mean PCI and/or PCIe?

What's the difference between PCI and PCIe?
What do the newest NVIDIA / ATI graphics cards use?
July 1, 2009 9:14:34 PM

boulard83 said:
For your las question. NO component need to be changed. Its the samoe 775 socket, same memory type, same PCi slot. You just have More of then and a bigger/better mobo.

D'you know how cheap a SLI 775 ATX mobo will be in one year? Two years?
a c 233 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
July 1, 2009 9:25:55 PM

It's difficult to say, but in 10 years you'll be able to find one for $10.
July 2, 2009 4:49:38 PM

No new compoenets or anything, ATX is better if your case can accept it because mATX being smaller means heat is more of an issue, always go ATX if you can.
July 2, 2009 7:48:29 PM

boulard83 said:

Don't some motherboards require DDR3 RAM as opposed to DDR2?

What determines what type of RAM I need? The motherboard?
a c 233 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
July 2, 2009 8:10:17 PM

Quote:
The motherboard and/or the chipset determines the type of memory that can be used. Since you want SLI and a socket 775 CPU, you are interested in motherboards based on nVidia chipsets. The 790i requires DDR3 and all older chipsets (740i, 750i and 780i) require DDR2.
July 3, 2009 2:13:25 AM

so you're basically saying that in 3-4 years DDR2 will no longer be used
and DDR3 will be popular and cheap...??
a c 233 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
July 3, 2009 2:55:20 AM

Who knows what will happen in 3-4 years. Are you planning an upgrade in 3-4 years or now? Who cares if DDR2 is no longer used in new systems in a few years? In a few years, new systems might not use the current DDR3 modules. Buy whatever suits your requirements now and worry about the next upgrade when you get there.
July 3, 2009 2:00:57 PM

GhislainG said:
Quote:
The motherboard and/or the chipset determines the type of memory that can be used. Since you want SLI and a socket 775 CPU, you are interested in motherboards based on nVidia chipsets. The 790i requires DDR3 and all older chipsets (740i, 750i and 780i) require DDR2.

How is 790i better than the older chipsets?
a c 233 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
July 3, 2009 8:07:34 PM

It provides PCI Express 2.0 and DDR3 memory. There are 2 versions: 790i SLI and 790i Ultra SLI which, in theory, should overclock a bit better.
July 3, 2009 8:10:28 PM

If you already have DDR2 ram. Just get any SLI mobo that support DDR2.

If you want to buy new ram+mobo, go with SLI+DDR3 mobo.

*** DDR3 vs DDR2 with dual/quad is quite useless. Just read some reviews.
July 3, 2009 9:56:46 PM

Any 780I chipset can lead you with a nice OC and can support 3x PCIe ( not all 16x but still 3 ).

+1 Ghis recommandation
December 10, 2009 5:26:02 PM

Hey quick question guys I got a Dell Inspiron 518 And i really Need to know if a Big ass Video card like a 9800GT or a ATI HD4870 can fit in my system... Oh and i usedto own a computer store so I dont mean this as a noob question I've just only seen these cards in pictures I just wanna be sure it will PHYSICALLY fit in my little case if not i'll haveto switch back to my mid tower which i dont wanna go thru all that headache and lose 2 USB ports in the process... THX ahead of time...
December 10, 2009 5:30:15 PM

Also I was Wondering if my older Power Supply will work in my NEW dell I have a SUNTEC 600W PSU it says right on the side that its for AMD or INTEL Pentium 4 its got both 20 pin and 24 pin connector BUT I NEED THIS PSU to run a new video card as they require a 6 pin PCI-E power dongle and the dell crap 250W PSU that came in my inspiron is all SATA dongles so.... Will it be safe to throw my 600W in there with a 9800GT and if so same question as my last post will it all fit in my tower...
!