Your question

$300 graphic card died, need suggestion on new one

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2009 9:44:39 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so i bought an evga 8800gts video card bout 14 months ago, and it up and quite on me for no reason...they refuse to replace it, though i'm still fighting with them on that one..anyway i dumped like 300 bucks on this stupid card and i don't want to make that mistake twice...i'm looking for the best card that you can get for say the 100-150 price range...i'm definitely boycotting evga, so their out, any suggestions on a better, more stable brand video card that's good for gaming, like the sims games?...thanks...

btw: i'm not overclocking and not running sli

here's a link to the card i bought... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... thing is, is that i turned on my computer and got just a black screen and amber colored monitor light...i put in my old card and i get video...my question also is, is there a way i can maybe tweek the card or do something to maybe get it up and running?

More about : 300 graphic card died suggestion

February 23, 2009 9:55:27 PM

k well for 100-150 its going to hard to find a card that beats the 8800 GTS, but I beleive you can find some 4850s for around 149.99$ if you look hard, and also for 4830s for around 100$ (though these cards aren't really as strong as teh 8800 GTS (if we're talking about the 512 1, and not the 640 or 320, where the 4830 is stronger).

February 23, 2009 10:00:26 PM

L1qu1d said:
k well for 100-150 its going to hard to find a card that beats the 8800 GTS, but I beleive you can find some 4850s for around 149.99$ if you look hard, and also for 4830s for around 100$ (though these cards aren't really as strong as teh 8800 GTS (if we're talking about the 512 1, and not the 640 or 320, where the 4830 is stronger).

i apologize it's actually the 8800 gt, as seen here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

again the video card just quite and i'm wondering if there was a way i could maybe try and fix it?
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2009 10:01:30 PM

Go for XFX, they have a double lifetime warranty. (the warranty covers people that you resell the GPU to)

Around that price, the 4850 as liquid mentioned or the 9800GTX/GTX+ are your best options. (although I've seen some 4870s or GTX260s go for as low as 160ish after rebates on Newegg, so go for that if you find it)
February 23, 2009 10:04:01 PM

evga is refusing to refund it? huh, they are normally really good about that. Do you mind if i ask what they are saying when refusing to refund it?
February 23, 2009 10:04:33 PM

yes but those are generally rare now, since it was the 192, and the 512 4870s. I haven't seen any recently, and if there are I must be blind:) 

I forgot about the 9800 GTX BSOD is right those are really good 2, but I find the ATI versions are easier and cheaper to find generally.

As for fixing it, theres not reason why EVGA should deny you getting a new card or fixing the current 1. What did they tell you? I oced my cards, and BFG just said as long as it works they don't care (but they did say not to say anything ahah).
February 23, 2009 11:08:13 PM

it's my fault i guess you can say...i didn't at the time realize i only had 30 days to register my card when i bought it, so they're telling me i'm SOL...i still think they should fix it...i mean i bought the card dec of 07, it's been a whole 14months and the thing just quites on me like that...i didn't even run it hard, i played the sims a few times and the rest just did basic computer stuff...i just thought there may have been a way to trouble shoot the card myself and maybe get it back up and running again...
February 23, 2009 11:13:47 PM

hmmm, well what I use to do a long time ago when I bought my cards from Best buy was buy another 1 and exchange them and then take it back. Though sometimes they check the serial number, but you should go when its crowded:p 

But thats not here or there. Well you can try arguing with them, telling them that you sent in your registration email, and it maybe didn't go throught...but thats a risk again they might tell you to forward it, where you can say that its deleted.

Try complaining, I mean it works most of the time, because most companies don't want to loose you as a customer especially now. I manged to get my phone bill down from 100$ a month (couples) to 60$ + benefits.

Actually lets not call it complaining, lets call it arguing, and bs that your not going to grab EVGA or recommend it again.

Anywho, are you use teh card is dead? did you try everything? power cord properly attached, reseated the card. Made sure its not ur PSU, motherboard, etc.????

does it not boot at all anymore, does the fan spin? what happens?
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2009 11:27:08 PM

@OP: What is your PSU?
February 23, 2009 11:45:13 PM

L1qu1d said:
hmmm, well what I use to do a long time ago when I bought my cards from Best buy was buy another 1 and exchange them and then take it back. Though sometimes they check the serial number, but you should go when its crowded:p 

But thats not here or there. Well you can try arguing with them, telling them that you sent in your registration email, and it maybe didn't go throught...but thats a risk again they might tell you to forward it, where you can say that its deleted.

Try complaining, I mean it works most of the time, because most companies don't want to loose you as a customer especially now. I manged to get my phone bill down from 100$ a month (couples) to 60$ + benefits.

Actually lets not call it complaining, lets call it arguing, and bs that your not going to grab EVGA or recommend it again.

Anywho, are you use teh card is dead? did you try everything? power cord properly attached, reseated the card. Made sure its not ur PSU, motherboard, etc.????

does it not boot at all anymore, does the fan spin? what happens?

yeah i know i sent em an email complaining how they lost me as a customer and that i was going to make sure and go out of my way to make sure they lose more, gunna contact the BBB, ect ;)  still waiting to hear an answer from on that one....here's the deal i was on my pc trying to fix my router...i shut down the pc normally, came back to it bout 20 mins later and go no response from the video card...computer booted up, but got nothing but an amber light on my monitor...i had an old video card lying around, so i popped that one in and got a display again...yes the cards fans are running fine, just getting no response to the monitor at all, just a black screen and that's it....

oh and i'm running a thermaltake 600w psu

hey someone suggested these cards on another site...any of these any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150316 They said it was just an upgraded on of this one i already have

and these two others

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161244
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187052
February 23, 2009 11:58:24 PM

it just says server issue for me when i click the links:S

Hmm did you try putting in the video card again after trying the extra? make sure the monitor is properly plugged into the video card (not trying to make u look stupid or anything but I sometimes just connect it but don't tighten it)

Reseat the card, make sure u do everything possible.:) 
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2009 12:05:49 AM

Also, if you have a reciept that may help your case. Just ask for a manager. If you complain long enough, they may help you out.
February 24, 2009 12:14:50 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Also, if you have a reciept that may help your case. Just ask for a manager. If you complain long enough, they may help you out.

yeah i bought this from newegg, so that's a no go for me
February 24, 2009 12:21:55 AM

L1qu1d said:
it just says server issue for me when i click the links:S

Hmm did you try putting in the video card again after trying the extra? make sure the monitor is properly plugged into the video card (not trying to make u look stupid or anything but I sometimes just connect it but don't tighten it)

Reseat the card, make sure u do everything possible.:) 

yeah sorry bout the links, these should work....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

yep i did just that, tried it all with nothing...you know for about half a year or so i did notice that the video would cut out every once and a great while, but i thought it was something i was doing, cause it always seemed to happend when i would plug in my flash drives...now i'm begining to wonder if it was my video card all along just randomly shutting down on it's own...so i'm guessing there's nothing i can really do with this one huh?...could there maybe be a problem with my pci ex slot? the old video card is running on a regular pci slot right now...but again my motherboard is only 14mns old as well
February 24, 2009 12:34:32 AM

the first 2 are the same links the 4850 is better than the 9800 GT. 4850 is basically on par with the 9800 GTX exchanging blows. The 9800 GT isn't even in the league:p .

Though if you want the same or better card, I would also look into the 4830. Can be found cheaper than both these cards, and is better than the 9800 GT (Exchanging blows here and there).

February 24, 2009 1:49:32 AM

from the 3 cards u've shown, I think the that 9800 GTX+ is the strongest, though it does exchange blows witht he 4850 alot, I found that with current drivers its ontop.
a c 198 U Graphics card
February 24, 2009 10:43:57 AM

@ LUNERCRAB: Your psu should be fine for all the cards mentioned, the weakest 600W I`ve seen on the Thermltake site has 29A (14+15) which is plenty.
I notice all the cards you have linked to are Nvidia, and, being an ATI fanboy;)
I`ll link this:

Yes, it has the reference cooler but I have had no problems with my reference cooled Sapphire 4870, apart from having to set the fan to 35% through the CCC.
February 24, 2009 11:04:27 AM

your post is right, but I think we can do without knowing ur a fanboy:)  it might be biased;)
February 24, 2009 12:48:48 PM

I'm thinking bout maybe trying the 9800gtx black edition. I'm only hoping it fits in my case. I have the thermaltake tsunami mid tower.
February 24, 2009 12:57:33 PM

not enough gains to justify the money:)  Stick with your 8800 GTXs for now
a c 198 U Graphics card
February 24, 2009 1:43:59 PM

@ LUNERCRAB; Looks fine to me, it also uses the later cooler that exhausts out of the case which is useful plus. Oh yes and the lifetime warranty, always good to have.
I think LIQUID forgot that our card is dead
February 24, 2009 2:57:37 PM

oh yeah sorry, I'm runnign 2 8800 GTX threads haaha, either way I'd say going with something higher, like a 4870 or 260 SP 192 (if you can find it:p ).

Sorry I'm in and out of the threads ahaha, in school:p 
February 24, 2009 5:28:58 PM

I just checked. The 4870 is a bit out if my price range. How's the 4850?
February 24, 2009 5:33:36 PM

Hd4850 is $150 on tigerdirect.com. Thats a more than acceptable card for that price range.
a c 198 U Graphics card
February 24, 2009 6:47:14 PM

Prices as you know vary a lot, the card I linked to earlier is $145 with the rebates, damn good for a 4870 but the 4850 is around for less, even without rebates. As for performance, there`s not really much to seperate the 4850 and 9800GTX although the ATI card does tend to take less of a performance hit with AA enabled.
BTW: A 9800GT would be a direct replacement for you previous card, it`s the same chip, just made a little smaller and the HD4830 would give the same performance but it is less expensive.
February 25, 2009 8:48:11 PM

actually scratch that one...i think i'm gunna go with the xfx on from tiger, cause tiger i can get 10% cashback thru live.com...so with rebates and all i'm gunna pay like 106.99 and if i do pay it later i save another 20 bucks...so 86.99 for the card....i think that's pretty good for that one, don't you?
!