Areca 1210 Help Please. Quick Update Help Please!

fab954fab305

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I recently bought a areca 1210 card. My first problem is that this thing is constantly beeping once the computer is on. If I disable the alarm it will still but upon reboot it continues again. Second thing is I have my boot drive and optical drive connected to it. I was wondering if there was a way I can use them as a single drive such as an ide emulation or standard ahci single drive. Would that be the pass through option or am I way off base with that. Thank you for anyhelp.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, why do you have your boot and optical drives attached to the 1210? If your boot drive is not part of your RAID, leave it connected to a SATA port on your mobo and definitely connect your optical drive to the mobo.

Second, what RAID configuration (type and number of HDDs) do you have configured?

On the beeping. Did you consult the manual to disable the function or just silence it when it occured?

fab954fab305

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I have a 6 drive raid currently attached to the motherboard. I had a spare 1210 laying around so I put those two on the card instead of the jmicron ports. For the beeping I did disable it in the bios but it returns upon bootup.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Now I understand. Looking through the user manual for your RAID controller earlier, I am not sure why the 1210 isn't retaining the settings you are applying. Are you sure you are saving the config (no beep) on the 1210 itself?

If this system is booting from your boot drive (connected to the 1210) and your optical drive works properly, other than the beeping, what problem are you trying to solve?

Check the manufacturer website to see if there is a firmware or configuration tool update that may help with the config issue (beeping).

soulbrotha80

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
About the beeping, disabling it in the configuration options does not seem to work for this device, even when upgrading to the latest firmware. I actually have this RAID card and have had no success in disabling the beeping. I haven't looked into it further since it only beeps a couple of times during boot-up, which is fine.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Found this in the product manual (pg 77 of 181):

The “Mute The Alert Beeper” function item is used to control the
SATA RAID controller beeper. Select Yes option and press the
Enter key in the dialog box to turn the beeper off temporarily.
The beeper will still activate on the next event.

3.7.5.2 Alert Beeper Setting
The “Alert Beeper Setting” item is used to “Disabled or “Enable”
the SATA RAID controller alarm tone generator. Select “Disabled”
and press the Enter key in the dialog box to turn the beeper off.

This implies that muting is temporary, but disabling is more lasting. Soulbrotha80 indicates that this setting is temporary as well. Odd "feature".

fab954fab305

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Well I did end up removing the speaker completely. This is my first real raid card so this next question comes from the noob side. For setting up a pass through disk what parameters do I use? For SCSI Channel, ID, LUN, Cache mode and Tag Queuing?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You may need to experiment there based on your current config. You are going to have to look at how your other drives are configured in order to not create a conflict, for example you can't set your ID or LUN to be the same as one already assigned.

Does the card assign any values when you start the pass through disk process?

Are you currently booting the OS from the physical drive in question?

Unless you have data in your RAID that you can't back up elsewhere, I would recommend you move your boot drive and optical to the motherboard (SATA IDE or AHCI) and then reconfigure your RAIDs with the 1210 and the other ports on your motherboard. Just a suggestion to simplify your life later.

fab954fab305

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I don't believe there are any scsi id's assigned currently. Not that I know of or have seen. I want to have the drive connected to the card be able to be the OS boot drive. I was either thinking that but since the case is currently wired already I didn't want to have to rewire it.

Could I also just set the single disk in it's own raid 0? I have done this before on a nvidia 680i onboard raid. It worked just fine I think it just saw it as a single disk with no problem. I don't know how this card would handle it though?

fab954fab305

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I was eventually able to get in contact with the people from areca and was advised to use the storport drivers with windows 7 x64. I think they said because storport is a newer driver protocol.

fab954fab305

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Good especially compared to the jmicron controller. Only issue I can't seem to overcome is when I choose the drive connected to the areca it seems to install fine only issue it that the system reserved part that windows 7 installs is on a completely different drive. This in turn causes it to not be bootable. It asks me if I want to let windows install that partition and then I hit OK and it automatically creates it on a separate drive with no choice for me.

fab954fab305

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Thank you very much for that has been driving me crazy. Do you know off hand which download I need to monitor the status of the array from outside the firmware environment specifically a windows one? Would that be the http download I need?