Dell E510 and radeon x1600

cowykillr

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Hey, its about time to upgrade an ancient graphics card in my Dell E510...currently have a Radeon AllinWonder x800...anyone know if it can handle an Radeon x1600 xt? or anything in the x1600 series?

What's your PSU? I have a dell E520 setting around, and I upgraded the GPU of that to a 7600GT. Although I've heard it can handle the 7800GT and 9600GT just fine. (not sure about the 7950 since it requires extra power calbes)

The e520 has a 300watt PSU. What is your PSU?

G

sorry but how do you find our PSU... added the that was it is as well... am a bit blind when it comes to computers
cheers

sorry but how do you find our PSU... added the that was it is as well... am a bit blind when it comes to computers
cheers

Open your case and read the specs.

The 305watt Dell PSU is pretty good, and should support many mid-ranged graphics cards. (you just need an adapter)

G

what exactly is the PSU though, like what does it mean/do and where inside would it most likely be.

what kind of adapter is that by any chance (like a power adapter that plugs in inside or is it like an adapter that means it can be pluged in to the slot, what should i be looking for... am currently looking at getting a Nvidia 8600GT 512MB DDR2 card would that need an adapter and also do you know if it would play Empire Total War

what exactly is the PSU though, like what does it mean/do and where inside would it most likely be.

what kind of adapter is that by any chance (like a power adapter that plugs in inside or is it like an adapter that means it can be pluged in to the slot, what should i be looking for... am currently looking at getting a Nvidia 8600GT 512MB DDR2 card would that need an adapter and also do you know if it would play Empire Total War

8600GT is crap. You can get much better cards with adapaters, and much better cards that don't even need adapters/power plugs.

G

any chance of recommending one that would do the trick, just know absolutely nothing about this stuff so am a bit in the dark, sadly no position to break the bank though so found this one for around £10 (hopefully) could you recomend one and i can have a scout around...

jennyh

Splendid
For £10 it's not bad, it just wont play any new games reasonably. Older stuff like Half Life 2 and other games from 3-4 years ago will generally be playable on an 8600gt.

The bottom rung of real 'gaming' cards is the HD 4670 and that is gonna set you back £55 still. As cheap as graphics cards are getting, you still need to spend that sort of money at least if you want to game at any decent level with modern games. Anything less than a 4670 just won't cut it.

jennyh

Splendid
Also, check out ebay. If you really are stuck at the £10 mark you might just be able to pick up an x1950 pro for £15 mby, and that will beat an 8600gt in anything.

jennyh

Splendid
9500gt is basically the same card as an 8600gt. The 4650 isn't bad and it will game some games ok but there will be too many that just won't play acceptably on it imo.

scottishpg

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
to continue have about £30 now to spend on the card. Also could anyone point me in the correct direction for finding a better PSU as mine is only 250w, was looking maybe for 400w or above, is that a good unit or would i need better if i was looking for a better graphics card in about 4/5 months
cheers

scottishpg

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

cheers, got the problem that my computer is a slimline one so only got about 90mm in width/ hight to play with.... both of these fit it i think but can you just confirm... it says 86mm height so am pretty sure.

was looking at this card but it says it needs 400watt or grater so was a bit annoyed when i found out mine was only 250watt, really low http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130320608018

Niether of those will fit a "slim line" computer, you need TFX not ATX, and then the dimensions need to match.
What model computer ?

scottishpg

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
no sorry mine is a 530s it's much slimer than that one and can stand either horizonatally or vertically hence my predicament with the height/ width thing... not sure which was would be the 'proper' one to take measurements from

Case measurements would do you no good, you need the psu measurements.
http://www.seasonicusa.com/tfx.htm
You may have access to higher wattage versions ( upto 450 watts I believe ), we don't here in the US.