Sign in with
Your question

Control case fans based on GPU temp using Speedfan

Last response: in Overclocking
August 1, 2010 6:06:21 PM

I currently use Speedfan to automatically vary my case and CPU fan speeds based on predefined temperature thresholds. The only downside is that Speedfan does not show the temperature for my HD5850 GPU, so I can't control my case fan speed based on GPU temps. Does anyone know how to do this using Speedfan or some other fan control program? I can read the temperatures using the Catalyst control center or CPUID Hardware Monitor, but neither of these let me automatically control case fans based on GPU temperature. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
August 1, 2010 6:53:07 PM

If SpeedFan cannot monitor the gpu temp, it won't be possible to use it for controlling a case fan.
However, it looks strange to me that an app like speedfan cannot monitor GPU temp. Realtemp, which is a smaller app can even do that. Do you have the latest version of SpeedFan?
m
l
August 1, 2010 9:16:11 PM

Nils, thanks for the fast reply. Yes, I have v4.41 of Speedfan, which is the latest version. Since HWMonitor can read the GPU temps, I'm wondering if there's a way to manually configure Speedfan to read the GPU temp, but I have not found a way yet.
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2010 12:37:34 PM

awallmtb said:
Nils, thanks for the fast reply. Yes, I have v4.41 of Speedfan, which is the latest version. Since HWMonitor can read the GPU temps, I'm wondering if there's a way to manually configure Speedfan to read the GPU temp, but I have not found a way yet.

Hard to answer. I don't know speedfan to well, but if there's no convinient way to configure it, I don't think it will be possible unless by modding the program or so.
A quick look on their site and I haven't found any reference to GPU temps, so I guess it cannot monitor them.

Just for the heads up, you want to control a CASE fan according to the GPU temp, right? Not the GPU fan speed?
m
l
August 3, 2010 1:02:05 AM

Nils said:
Just for the heads up, you want to control a CASE fan according to the GPU temp, right? Not the GPU fan speed?

Thanks again Nils. My GPU has automatic fan speed control based on its temperature. In addition, I use Speedfan to increase CPU fan speed if the CPU temp exceeds a threshold. I also use Speedfan to increase case fan speed if the CPU or motherboard temps exceed a set threshold. It would be nice if I could also automatically increase case fan speed if the GPU temp exceeds a threshold. However, I have not found a method for doing this. It's not a huge issue, since typically when my GPU is being stressed, my CPU is also being stressed, so Speedfan will likely increase case fan speeds based on CPU temp alone.
m
l
August 3, 2010 5:12:46 PM

GPU and CPU temperature are indeed linked with each other in most cases, so the case fan will spin up anyway.

It's a pitty SpeedFan does not monitor gpu temps, eventhough it's a well known monitor app.
m
l
August 13, 2010 5:17:27 PM

Just so anyone reading this knows, I'm not aware of a way to add GPU temp monitoring to Speedfan. Some NVidia cards will show up in Speedfan, but I haven't seen any way to add monitoring if it doesn't show up by default.

Given that HWMonitor, Catalyst Control Center, GPU-Z and other software solutions can display the temperature of my GPU (HD 5850), I assume it would be possible for Speedfan if it were modified to add support, but I'm not aware of an existing solution.

If anyone comes across a method, including a different software solution for case/CPU fan control, I'm all ears!
m
l
February 18, 2012 9:39:05 PM

I wanted to update this thread with the latest info. Speedfan v4.45 added additional GPU temp readback capabilities, and I can now monitor my GPU temps with Speedfan. Not only that, but it now has some really cool options for controlling fan speed. You can now create multiple fan speed vs temperature graphs, one for each temperature that you want to be be used to control a given fan speed. You can select to take the max of the individual fan speeds, or the sum. I'm not doing a very good job explaining, but long story short, now I can control my case fans as a function of BOTH my GPU temp and my CPU temp. Very cool stuff - made the software go from nice to essential/awesome in my book.
m
l
!