Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why is EVGA's 141-BL-E760-A1 better than ASUS' P6T Deluxe V2?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 26, 2009 1:33:03 AM

When asked for the "best" mobo for the Intel i7, the preponderance of users on Tom's Hardware say "EVGA 760!". What I want to know is why?

I compared the specifications for the EVGA 141-BL-E760-A1 to the ASUS P6T Delux V2 and they are virtually the same. The Front Side Buses are rated the same. I know that the specs don't tell the whole story. So what is it exactly that EVGA offers that is worth the $130 price difference?

--Thank you,
--Mike Ramsey
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 26, 2009 2:24:01 AM

MikeJRamsey said:
When asked for the "best" mobo for the Intel i7, the preponderance of users on Tom's Hardware say "EVGA 760!". What I want to know is why?

I compared the specifications for the EVGA 141-BL-E760-A1 to the ASUS P6T Delux V2 and they are virtually the same. The Front Side Buses are rated the same. I know that the specs don't tell the whole story. So what is it exactly that EVGA offers that is worth the $130 price difference?

The EVGA 141-BL-E760-A1 is an X58. And the P6T is only a measly X58. Similiar specs? ;) 
June 26, 2009 2:14:15 PM

for me, lifetime warranty. the two boards suppose to perform the same (its a damned MOBO, not some CPU or gfx.....) thus i got the evga stuff.

but i'm in the process of investigating of possible issues with evga's board LGA socket issue, where there is a lot of ppl on the evga forums complaining about socket damage (accidental or other wise) and I don't have all the results in yet. what is more distressing is that many claims that evga won't cover it in their warranty as many of them are physical damage (to the socket) and thus people are getting pumped and are beginning to brew a little since you have to play them 60 dollars for a completely new socket.
Related resources
June 26, 2009 8:09:40 PM

theholylancer said:
for me, lifetime warranty. the two boards suppose to perform the same (its a damned MOBO, not some CPU or gfx.....) thus i got the evga stuff.

but i'm in the process of investigating of possible issues with evga's board LGA socket issue, where there is a lot of ppl on the evga forums complaining about socket damage (accidental or other wise) and I don't have all the results in yet. what is more distressing is that many claims that evga won't cover it in their warranty as many of them are physical damage (to the socket) and thus people are getting pumped and are beginning to brew a little since you have to play them 60 dollars for a completely new socket.

It would be hard to say who damaged it. I would get the shipper involved. They are exposed too since EVGA is implying that it was damaged after they shipped it but before you (the hypothetical you in this case) received it.

Lifetime warranty ... is attractive. It assumes that EVGA will still be in business in five years when my mobo craps out. And I am paying $130 now for an eventuality then. Most folks will upgrade in five to seven years. Hmmm, I don't know .....

Is there anything in the here and now? How about cooling? The ASUS P6T Deluxe 2 uses "Windflow" cooling technology on the Northbridge. You can mount an optional fan (purchased separately) to help cool the X58 chipset. How does EVGA handle this? I don't plan on water cooling (shades of IBM 370). Do people pop a Zalman ZM-NBF47 on the EVGA Northbridge?

--Mike Ramsey
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2009 8:40:52 PM

MikeJRamsey said:

--Thank you,
--Mike Ramsey

Easy Answer: EVGA supports 3-way SLI properly. If you're buying an expensive board, that's a great answer. Asus doesn't know how to lay out its slots.

But the EVGA is available in TWO part numbers for the SAME motherboard, and you can save around $60 by getting the one without the lifetime warranty and trade-up program.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of the 758. The 760 is just a waste of money.
June 26, 2009 11:24:25 PM

Crashman said:
Easy Answer: EVGA supports 3-way SLI properly. If you're buying an expensive board, that's a great answer. Asus doesn't know how to lay out its slots.

But the EVGA is available in TWO part numbers for the SAME motherboard, and you can save around $60 by getting the one without the lifetime warranty and trade-up program.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of the 758. The 760 is just a waste of money.

Crashman,
Thank you. I am researching things but I lack the hard experience of working with multiple setups. I compared the slot layout of the 132-BL-E758-TR with the slot layout of the P6T Deluxe V2. They look very similar. What is about the P6T Deluxe V2's slot layout that you don't like?

I was intrigued by your comment that the 141-BL-E760-A1 is a waste of money. I am inclined to agree that it is over priced.

I compared the758's features to the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2. I found that the 758:

1. Lacks support for 1800(O.C) and higher memory therefore may not OC as well; Max memory is half but so what?

2. Offers fewer PCI Express slot 2.0 x16 (1 vs. 3)

3. Lacks support for RAID 10

4. Lacks on board Firewire

5. Audio and LAN chip sets may be less expensive

Not really killers. I wasn't going to add more than 6 GB RAM at any rate. Extreme OC'ers may want the higher speed memory but I don't think the current chip sets can make very good use of it. That is, higher speed memory is probably a waste of money. Just my opinion.

The ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 is only $30 more than the 758 (A1). What is the flaw in the P6T Deluxe V2 that I am missing?

Thank you,
Mike Ramsey

Best solution

June 29, 2009 9:06:57 PM

Like Crashman said, the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 does not support 3x SLI because of the poor PCI socket layout.
In fact, the 3rd PCIe x16 slot is useless even if you "only" run 2 video cards, since there aren't any powerful single slot video cards around anymore. So you'll be stuck with a single PCIe x1 and two legacy PCI slots.

The other main difference with the EVGA is that the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 has only 6 internal SATA slots. The EVGA has 9 of them.

In fact, I think the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 is ridiculous. The plain vanilla P6T is a different story however!
I am still very much torn between the EVGA x58 and the Asus P6T vanilla...

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that I was considering the wrong EVGA MB.
The 132 series (ie "normal" X58 SLI) has 10 SATA ports. The 141 (x58 SLI LE) only has 6, just like the Asus P6T Deluxe V2.
The rest of the post is still valid though.
For those interested, in the end I went with the EVGA x58 (132-BL-E758-A1).
June 30, 2009 1:43:35 AM

MCSmarties said:
Like Crashman said, the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 does not support 3x SLI because of the poor PCI socket layout.
In fact, the 3rd PCIe x16 slot is useless even if you "only" run 2 video cards, since there aren't any powerful single slot video cards around anymore. So you'll be stuck with a single PCIe x1 and two legacy PCI slots.

The other main difference with the EVGA is that the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 has only 6 internal SATA slots. The EVGA has 9 of them.

In fact, I think the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 is ridiculous. The plain vanilla P6T is a different story however!
I am still very much torn between the EVGA x58 and the Asus P6T vanilla...

Ah, the high end graphic cards require double wide slot spacing between any two PCI Express slots and the spacing between slot PCIe 2.0 X 16_2 and slot PCIe 2.0 X 16_3 on the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 is single slot spacing. Now I get it.

I apologize for being so dense. I needed it spelled out. This is why I started this thread because I wasn't getting it.

For me, I don't plan on running 3 X SLI so this is not a show stopper. But if I did there are high end graphic cards that provide two integrated dual-link DVI display outputs on a single PCI Express 2.0 x16 bus interface. So there might still be options for 3X or 4X SLI with only two PCIe 2.0 X16 slots. The SATA connector thing never bothered me either because I don't plan on having that many drives. Even if I did, inexpensive SATA to USB converters can be easily had. Still, I can see why a purest would be upset. That was a really stupid design decision by ASUS.

About that P6T, take a close look at its "ASUS 8+2 Phase Power Design" and compare that to the "P6T Deluxe V2's ASUS True 16+2 Phase Power Design". This and the lack of the "Wind-Flow Heat-pipe" were the reasons that made me turn away from the P6T. Power and heat are the two things that worry me.

There are two kinds of people in the world, "optimizers" and "sufficers". An optimizer in a situation goes "what is the best I can get" and a sufficer say "what is sufficient for my needs". An optimizer is made more unhappy by too many options; they're worried about not getting the best and they suffer from buyer's regret, where as a sufficer would say "great, I have lots of choices of things that will meet my needs and gain me happiness".

I have always been a sufficer so the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 still works for me. But I will take the opportunity to open up the gates and take a closer look at the EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR. It could work for me too.

Thank you MCSmarties and Crashman for helping to educate me.

Mike Ramsey

!