Sign in with
Your question

Installing an old HDD in a new system.

Last response: in Storage
August 5, 2010 6:42:48 AM

I'm building a new system at the moment, and I would like to take the primary HDD out of my old one and install it in the new one.

Now, I've built systems before, but I've never done anything fancy with the HDD's. Just one usually, with one system having had 2 in an old RAID 0 configuration. In short, I know next to nothing about the intricacies of hard drives.

So, before I do damage to either of my drives, or any of the components of the new system, I need some advice.

The old drive is a 160GB SATA2 7200 RPM. It currently has Windows XP 32 Bit Home Basic running on it.

The new Drive will be a 1 TB SATA2 7200 RPM. I'm planning to install Win 7 Pro 64-Bit on it, and once the computer is up and running, install the old drive as a storage drive.

Is this as simple as just plugging the old one in and making sure it's not part of the boot cycle, or at least making sure the new drive with Win 7 comes before it in the boot cycle? Or is there something more complicated I need to be aware of here before attempting it? I don't plan to format the 160GB drive first, as keeping the data currently on it (Photos, Videos, Music, Etc) is pretty much the whole point.

Thanks!

More about : installing hdd system

a b G Storage
August 5, 2010 1:58:35 PM

1) Plug it in (data and power cables).
2) Enter the BIOS to ensure the W7 is First HDD boot.
3) Save and exit the BIOS.
4) The system should POST, then boot to W7.
5) The 160GB HDD should show in windows explorer and in Disk Management.
m
l
a c 359 G Storage
August 5, 2010 6:16:42 PM

As treefrog07 says, it should be easy. I'll add a couple details.

What he / she advised is, as you suggest, AFTER you have installed Win 7 on the new drive and got it working.

IF you can, try to set the Boot Priority so that the old d rive simply is NOT part of the list. That way, even if the new system has a problem and can't boot, it will not try to continue on and boot from the old drive.
m
l
!