Trouble installing a new amd am2 cpu

doesnot exist

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hi there.
I just tried upgrading from an amd 4800 to an amd x2 7750 and cant get the system to boot. The system is getting power and the fan over the heatsink is going but slower than it should be.

As far as i can tell its all placed where it should be and all cables are connected and working.I have tried resetting the cmos settings by removing the battery and changing the setting on the jumpers.While updating bios i noticed in the flash that some of it was not updated but complete.

I have 4g ddr2 800 hz ram,m2n-e sli motherboard and 650w power supply.video card is a nvidea gtx 260

any help would be greatly appreciated.

mi1ez

Splendid
"While updating bios i noticed in the flash that some of it was not updated but complete."

How do you mean? The BIOS flash didn't complete? If so, that could be VERY bad news.

Does it still work with the previous processor?

mi1ez

Splendid
http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=370&l4=0&model=1419&modelmenu=1

Supports AMD Socket AM2 Athlon 64 FX /Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 / Sempron
The M2N-E SLI supports AMD socket AM2 single-core Athlon 64/ Sempron and dual-core Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2 processors with 2MB / 1MB / 512KB L2 cache, which is based on 64-bit architecture. It features 2000 / 1600 MT/s HyperTransport Bus, dual-channel un-buffered DDR2 800 memory support and AMD Cool 'n' Quiet! Technology

I would hazard that the CPU isn't supported... Not 100% sure though.

doesnot exist

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hi and thanks for responding.

The bios flash completed(no power outs etc),there was some information on the bios animation that indicated some of it was not updated by different colored sqaure animations on the flash screen.

Yes the system boots fine with the old processor.

doesnot exist

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for your help!!! Seems I have gone for the wrong processor like you have said:( I would think the company I bought it from would have mentioned it after I told them my specs. Oh well,next time I will research myself more.
Thanks again for the response:)

mi1ez

Splendid
No worries. Next time you'll know not to trust companies out to make a quick buck.

You gonna change the CPU again, or go new motherboard, the M2N-E is pretty old.

doesnot exist

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Think I'll save a little more and get a new motherboard and cpu and slot my old components until i can afford upgrades. Yay more research:p

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

doesnot exist

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks man,much appreciated!

That first one looks like the one for me.Now to see if can build something like this myself.I'm a noobie at building systems,only ever changed ram an GPU's in the past.Can you suggest any sites for any information?

And thanks for the help:)

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Well, just be sure to order/buy some thermal paste (AS5, or Ceramique are the standard).

1. unplug all power connections on the motherboard, as well as any other connectors.
2. remove the video card
3. remove the heatsink from the CPU
4. remove the motherboard retaining screws (don't loose these)(phillips screwdriver)
5. clean the proc before removing it (rubbing alchohol and q-tips, or paper towel)
6. remove the RAM
7. install the new motherboard (using the aforementioned screws)
8. install the CPU
9. install the RAM
10. re-connect the power, and other connectors to the new motherboard. (ASUS made it easier with their power block, the Reset switch, Power switch, HDD LED, and power LED are connected onto a block, then plugged into it's spot on the MB)
11. place a rice grain sized blob of thermal paste on the CPU, and smear it around till it's more or less even
(plastic wrap and my finger are what I use)
12. put the heatsink on the CPU (after cleaning it off too, same method as the CPU, rubbing alchohol and paper towel)
13. install the video card
14. plug it in, and try to boot

*Edit* Ceramique is about $5 per tube http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100009
(I use it, and it has no cure time that I know of)

+1 for milez and IH8U's advice, and a big +1 for doesnot exist taking responsibility for [not] doing the research and being more interested in solving a problem than deciding who to blame for it.