Jun 26, 2009
Hello!
I bought a new computer a few months ago, here're the specs:

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q9550
GPU: Geforce 260 GTX
PSU: ENERMAX PRO82+ 625W
Memory: OCZ 2 * 2GB
Case: Antec P182-B

Now the computer is great, but once a month or so it shuts down (2 times during a movie + 1 time during a game, so far) and when I try launch it, it gets into a reboot loop (launches, waits 4-5 seconds, shuts down, and again..).
In this situation the only thing I can do is to unplug the PSU from the electricity, wait a few seconds, plug back, and then computer starts normally.

Any Idea of how to solve this?
Any Idea what the problem can be?

Thanks

nimce

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi Lavarin,
I read that this problem is known,
That this motherboard sometimes does this,
The power supply is enermax, which are really good
Are you sure?

bilbat

Splendid
There are two main causes of reboot loops in GB MOBOs:

One is an item on the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS; most boards list it as "Legacy USB storage detect", but on newer boards/BIOS is appears to be being 'migrated' to "USB Storage Function" (I have an X48-DS5; in BIOD F8a, it was "Legacy USB storage detect"; when I burned F8C, it went to "USB Storage Function"); this setting has two functions - it allows the BIOS to 'see' USB storage (like a keydrive for BIOS flashing) before the USB drivers are loaded by the OS - and it allows a boot from a bootable USB device; you can always turn it on to do either one of these things, but under normal conditions, disable it - known cause of the dreaded GB reboot...

Second is that GBs appear to be awfully 'finicky' about the USB comm spec; sometimes it just doesn't 'like' a particular device (we surmise it's due to strict enforcement as it's often [but not necessarily] an older device, from back when USB was just being developed); I will often see 'rashes' of these, when an apparently incompatible device hits the channel - some months ago, there were a half dozen people having trouble with a USB external DVD; I, myself, have an X-10 home controller transceiver that I cannot plug into my machine, but works fine on an old HP net machine...

In summation - go into your BIOS to disable the offender; check whether you've recently added any USB devices, and remove them - problem likely cured