Pretty Pictures

skander

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
You may remember me from this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260293-31-core-project-suggestions-comments-rants-downs-welcome

Well, the parts came in and I fevershly spent this past Monday putting it all together. What you see below is the fruits of my labor:

======================================

The Parts

thepartsfs5.th.jpg

Now its about getting those parts into that tower.

partscasein6.th.jpg

The X58 motherboard with CPU, Cooler, and Memory installed. Heat spreaders on the G-Skill's did look cool in real life I must say.

mobowmemun7.th.jpg

Little brother meets big brother. I put my P4/Asus into an old Powmax case I had lying around.

comparisonyv9.th.jpg

The beast in action. Gigabyte's on-board LEDs sure are purty.

inactionfo5.th.jpg

The set-up of the room. A work in progress as always. <sigh>

setupdb4.th.jpg

=========================================

Installation was simple, maybe 2 hours for Mobo setup and Case Installation. Of course it always takes me a bit to get Case Peripherals (PWR SW, HDD, etc.) connected right. Gigabyte didn't package any mounting pins with the motherboard, that chafed me a bit. Luckily I had just enough . . .

So the only modern game I possess was Spore (don't laugh at me) and boy did this machine destroy that game 1440 x 900, max settings, 4x AA, 8X AF. Doesn't even hiccup. No overclock of CPU, GPU factory overclocked to 650 MHz. Soon there will be an investment in Supreme Commander and MOST DEFINITELY StarCraft II.

Windows 7 has a nice rating system (at least it seems) for various machine parts under Computer Settings. It detects and rates your machine performance in various categories from 1.0 to 7.9, it then assigns your overall Machine Rating as the lowest value. Here they are:

Processor: 7.4
Memory: 7.6
Graphics (Win Aero): 7.9
Graphics 3D Gaming: 6.5
Primary Hard Disk: 5.0

Surprise, my 4.5 year old WD Caviar 200G, 7200 is holding me back. Always something to upgrade. All in due time . . .

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Nice pics, Skander!

You know, for all the jokes we make on this forum about that red Silencer 750, it actually looks great in your Thermaltake Armor. And I quite like the light blue colour theme from the Gigabyte mobo and the G.Skill RAM (and the HIS).

Looks like you're set for quite a while. Btw, you might find Sins of a Solar Empire to be quite interesting on your rig.

Enjoy!