Sign in with
Your question

AMD Outperformed Intel in Q1 2009

Last response: in CPUs
April 28, 2009 10:39:23 AM

Quote:
Microprocessor sales rose for AMD in the first quarter over the fourth quarter [of 2008], while Intel's microprocessor sales fell. JoAnne Feeney, an analyst with FTN Equity Capital, said this may suggest that AMD is witnessing a similar stabilization in the market as Intel, but simply saw it earlier.

"While Intel's guidance was more optimistic, Intel was coming off a quarter in which it was substantially undershipping demand; it seems, by contrast, that AMD was operating in 1Q closer to normal," Feeney said.

The disparity in the first quarter could be due to a quicker reduction by AMD of its chip inventories. Additionally, many of Intel's customers may have been holding back orders for server chips until the launch of its new Nehalem processor.

Source

What can we see in the future? Intel recovering once those Nehalems are released?
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2009 12:51:30 PM

FYI, Nehalem, AKA Core i7, was released November of 2008.

AMD's current success is due to the strengths of their Phenom II CPU.
Unfortunately for AMD, although they are pushing a high volume of chips, they are selling them all very cheaply and not raking in the margins Intel is with their chips.
I don't think you have to worry about Intel having any major troubles any time soon...
April 28, 2009 1:58:53 PM

i do not see in the story where AMD out performed Intel in Q1. I just see where it shows AMD sales rose over their dismal Q4 of 2008.
in the future, how about posting sources that do not require subscriptions to read the full story?
Related resources
April 28, 2009 2:15:07 PM

lolz.
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2009 4:02:36 PM

RomDA_73 said:

What can we see in the future? Intel recovering once those Nehalems are released?

FYI, Intel posted a profit for Q1, whereas AMD posted their 10th consecutive quarterly loss for Q1. If you mean not making money from your business, then yes AMD did outperform Intel last quarter :D .
April 28, 2009 7:45:59 PM

Of course, not making money is the GOAL!!! That's the only way to make customers happy.
April 28, 2009 7:54:28 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
FYI, Intel posted a profit for Q1, whereas AMD posted their 10th consecutive quarterly loss for Q1. If you mean not making money from your business, then yes AMD did outperform Intel last quarter :D .

And AMD also posted their 11th consecutive quarterly loss, while Intel continued to post a profit.

May 4, 2009 9:46:43 AM

Sorry bout that outlw, WSJ didn't require registration from me when I viewed the story. And I think the story was referring to some future Nehalems, particularly the server and mobile versions?

If there's one thing I'm not too happy about these big two companies recovering, it's that the pressure to keep prices low may disappear.
May 4, 2009 11:22:41 AM

outlw6669 said:
FYI, Nehalem, AKA Core i7, was released November of 2008.

Core i7 was released in Nov.

Nehalem powered Xeons are only coming to market now.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 5, 2009 12:55:56 AM

fazers_on_stun said:

I always thought performance was based off of your profits and stock gains, not if you sold more but still loss money.

Oh wells.
May 5, 2009 4:17:50 AM

Amiga500 said:
Core i7 was released in Nov.

Nehalem powered Xeons are only coming to market now.

Pwn'd!

I wouldn't say "AMD outperformed Intel", but this is certainly good news.
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2009 1:28:31 PM

jimmysmitty said:
I always thought performance was based off of your profits and stock gains, not if you sold more but still loss money.

Oh wells.

I haven' t seen any desktop segment marketshare news for Q1 yet, and since I couldn't view the original article, I took the OP's quote for its face value. The only facts I have at the moment are Otellini stating 'over a million' Nehalems shipped as of Intel's Q1 earnings report date (April 12th?), and BM's posting over on UAEZone how P2 is the 'top seller' at Newegg (based on # customer reviews :pt1cable:  ).

Both are rather fuzzy datapoints, IMHO :) .
!