Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Newbie

Last response: in Overclocking
August 2, 2010 12:22:00 AM

Hi there, I wander if anyone could help me overclock my pc to the max stable, my specs are as follows:
E5200, 4Gb RAM, Asrock G31M-S, ATI Radeon X1600.

Thanks.

More about : overclocking newbie

a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2010 2:13:40 AM

It's all different for people, the initial start to ocing though is entering bios, then up-ping the multiplier, after doing so go in windows run prime95 to check for stability. Also, run any (recommended temp recorder/temp software IE CoreTemp) If your temps are above 74.1 you'll start seeing problems, that is the max according to intel.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37212

Also, during the oc process start small don't jump huge multipliers, make small increments. After doing so, when you get to perhaps like 3.0ghz if you see that your unstable, at that point you should start upping the voltage on the CPU, this will help stability of the CPU run prime95 and increment the voltage the cpu ever so slightly until its stable. :D  Then you'll reach your goal. Hope this helped.
a c 291 K Overclocking
August 2, 2010 3:32:53 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- What cooler do u have?
2- Read this
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2010 3:37:11 AM

Yeah or that XD +1 on saint's post.

Off the topic but Saint, whut is your avatar of?
a c 291 K Overclocking
August 2, 2010 3:42:51 AM

@aznshinobi: It's a old picture of my X4 955 @ 3.8GHz in a MSI K9A2 Platinum adn the stock cooler :lol: 
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2010 4:16:31 AM

NICE its a great board, as "old" as it is :D  It's basically the 790FX-GD70 of its day. XD
a c 291 K Overclocking
August 2, 2010 1:29:07 PM

Yeah, i want build another rig with that mobo.
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2010 7:22:08 PM

DO IT! Freeking best mobo ever. Lol sorry off topic, but umm the mobo is fantastic, best part is if you have to clear cmos, there's a button for that. XD It's like the Easy button from staples. IT actually works too. Also the layout of the mobo is really easy. plus it offers Xfire support. :D  Plus its cheaper than the Crossfire III, most attractive part.
!