Sign in with
Your question

How hot is too hot for mobos??

Last response: in Motherboards
June 26, 2009 6:53:57 AM

Hi I recently upgraded to a Phenom 9500, an Asus M3N78 Pro and finally I purchased an XFX Radeon HD 4870 XXX Edition Video Card - 1024MB video card. Now ever since I installed that video card my computer runs really hot!! So much so that I purchased a new heat sink, an ULTRA ChillTec Thermal Electric CPU Cooler just to keep my CPU temps under control. After a few hours of running my chassis even starts to feel real hot and I can feel the heat just radiating from it..

Anyway the temps (which I got from CPUID HM) are averaging around 55 for the CPU, 61 for the mobo and 62 for the video card! all temps are in Celsius.. I think the CPU and video card are OK, but that has to be too much for the mobo.

Oh my PSU is an Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply and the voltage reading (also from CPUID HM) are CPU VCORE 1.28 (static), VIN1 3.30-3.31, +5V 4.89-4.97, +12V 11.71-11.84, +5V VCCH 5.08 (static) and VBAT 3.23 (static).

Also I have a total of 5 case fans running, 2 intake fans at the front (1-80 mm, 1-120 mm) and 3 outtake at the back (2-80 mm and 1-slot fan).

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

More about : hot hot mobos

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2009 1:04:47 PM

What Case have you got, I take the TEC cooler is air cooled on the hot side, if so that will dump mega hot air in your case, you will need a Antec 1200 902 or CM scout for good case cooling if this is the case.

Yup looked up your Cooler, can dump up to 200w of heat into the case, have you tried running with the side off and a desk fan blowing into the case to check temps come down, I do think you will need a better case though with good airflow and clean cable management.
June 26, 2009 3:42:05 PM

Hi, thanx for the reply..

yea the case I have is a NZXT Guardian Case, I've posted a pic of how I have it set up below! I know it's a little crowded but I've tried working with the space I have there.. what do you think?

On a slightly different note, I posted this message on the ASUS support website for my mobo model and the response I got was that the Radeon HD 4870 runs really hot and that the heat sensor on the mobo is down below and to the right of the video card so not to worry too much since that sensor is just for ambient temps and as long as my CPU temp are ok the I should be ok.. but I'm not sure about his/her advice..

Anyway here is my case...

Related resources
June 28, 2009 1:00:12 AM

OMG what a mess sorry but that case is just bad....

get a "HAF" (High air flow) 932 or the smallier one or another one just in case you think its ugly and the cables managment will be alot better as well, that don't help, that plastic looks like its chocking your poor PC :( 
June 30, 2009 12:26:19 AM

Lol.. yea I came to that same realization and tried to fix the cables but in the end it just wasn't cutting it... So I grabbed the Cool Master's HAF! Man, just an awesome case and ugly? No way, think it look sweet, like it means business.... Thanx for the reply and the HAF has my case running about 10°C cooler!
!