Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

First time build. Does it look all right?

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2009 3:12:20 AM

Hello there, i'm hoping for a wee bit of help on my first build, it'll also be the first desktop that i can call my own.
So i've been reading a lot of stuff here and else where, my heads now full of, well, stuff.
I'm on a very small budget and wanting to build a gaming(fps/rpg mmo's) ONLY(honest) computer running XP, I've a laptop for other things.
Well this is what i'm thinking of getting:

Asus P5Q-E P45 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard £113.80

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz Socket 775 800FSB 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £66.03

Palit 9500GT 1GB DDR2 VGA DVI HDMI PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card £48.99

Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM £55.99

2x Kingston 1GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Hyperx Memory Non-ECC CL4(4-4-4-12) Low-lat £35.38

Cart total inc vat: £320.24

I was thinking of overclocking and want to be able to expand later on.

Any help/advice would be greatly received, i do intend to find a good psu, etc when i'm sure about the basics.

And, eh, will i be able to plug this into different TV's and monitors?

Well i look forward to any feed back as i'm getting pretty excited about putting it all together! :D 

Cheers!

More about : time build

Anonymous
January 30, 2009 3:52:14 AM

XP is fine. Not to blow your budget, but here are some thoughts:

With XP SP3 and later you can up to 4gb ram - it will recognize 3gb as you may know. Consider this for future.

Your video board sounds like the EVGA that I just bought - it has 1 GB ram but gamers say its not great for gaming. I use mine for photo work, so RAM bus speed is not such an issue, but gamers say that the 1gb is never utilized due to bottleneck elsewhere - perhaps they will advise as its not my area of specialty. Personally, I think that card is a great value!

Video out? Perhaps you can tell what you mean by "all kinds" as to get suggestions that fit your needs better. Also (!) your video card choice will affect your PSU requirements as your probably know. Be sure to check how much juice your board needs! Boards are power-hungry!
There is Zotac video board that has all kinds of options for monitors, but it costs more, and its not PCIe v2

HDD: I have a strong recommendation here. check out the WD Caviar black 640gb - it has 32mb cache. fast as a Raptor! here in the US the price is only a little more $ - well worth it!

most video cards now come with a DVI to D-Sub adapter. check yours - if not you can buy one if needed. if you need something else, be sure to shop for it!

Conclusion: the caviar black is perhaps the most bang for the buck. if you game, pick your video board very carefully! You are wise to choose these before PSU shopping! For PSU, read reviews here and here: http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i... I used Antec for years with great reliability, then got a cheap but decent Corsair. Seasonic and PCP&C make good stuff! Dont just go by user reviews at Newegg - look at test results for stable, clean power! Unhappy video board with not enough PSU amps on a single rail is like mother - if she's unhappy, no one is happy!

Tell me, in the UK (assuming) or wherever you are - can you shop Newegg and Micro Center?
January 30, 2009 5:01:55 AM

RE: pchaplo

hi and thanks for the info.
and yes i'm in the UK, well Scotland to be precise but i don't want to start a political thread. ;) 

Is this the video card?
Zotac GeForce 9800 GT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
600MHz Core, 512MB 1800MHz GDDR3 Memory, 112 Stream Processors, SLi Ready,
(£94.29)

It has DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV / S-Video / Composite Out

The memory (WD Caviar black 640gb) looks like a good buy, and i might get 1x 2g memory for now and another down the line.

The best prices from a reputable vendor i've been finding are from
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
http://www.ebuyer.com/

The reason i wonder about TV/Monitor connections is i hope to be able to take the machine round to friends houses and plug into their different TV's with out to much trouble.

The PSU and Case i'll probably get from a local shop after researching a bit, all though more expensive i get a look at the things to make sure its easy to work with, etc.

I must say, thinking about building a computer's fast becoming more addictive than the games i want to play!

Cheers
Related resources
January 30, 2009 8:43:20 AM

No politics from me, just hardware advice... ;) 

Video Card: Get a 4850 512MB so that you can Crossfire later. If you can stretch your budget, then go up to a 1GB frame buffer. Sapphire is good value here. nVidia is a waste of money because you can't run 2 of them on your mobo.

RAM: G.Skill HK or Pi Black at CL4 is good value, 2x2GB if you can. Mushkin is also great value.

HDD: The WD Caviar Black 640GB is definitely worth it for the speed.

+1 on the P5Q-E and E5200. P5Q-E is a great mobo.

E7400 is good value if you can stretch.

Get the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink and backplate for overclocking.

PSU: 750W, Corsair 750TX or PCP&C Silencer 750 are worthy of your consideration.

Cases: Coolermaster CM-690, Antec 900 or 300

For connecting to various TVs, in addition to pchaplo's advice, if you also buy a DVI to HDMI cable, that would help as well.
January 30, 2009 4:46:59 PM

even the Nvidia 9600GT is very affordable nowadays..I assume you will be getting or have 22inch LCD which most of us have...
January 30, 2009 5:52:31 PM

The build looks solid. I would suggest 2x2GB of DDR2 800 memory. Try to get low timings and near the standard 1.8v.
January 30, 2009 8:29:19 PM

Well i upped my budget a wee bit.

What's been ordered so far:
Intel core2 Duo E8500
ATI Radeon HD 4870 sapphire
Asus P5Q-E

Total : £448.47 inc VAT (woops)

All the recommendations have been spot on, thank you all very much, i'll be putting a shopping cart together after the weekend, i just wish i hadn't read an article on making cases out of perspex..........

January 30, 2009 9:57:50 PM

With this parts selection, you're going to end up with a very solid gaming rig. It's completely in a different range then what you first picked but if budget allows go ahead you shouldn't regret it.
January 31, 2009 1:54:31 PM

Aye, i basically blew most of my budget on those 3 parts. But it's a time/money equation, i could fund a cheaper machine in less time or, wait for my next pay cheque and get better parts.

And in the long run i'll save money on up-grades. ;) 
January 31, 2009 2:28:58 PM

Mushkin 4GB ES2-6400 Essential Series (2x2GB) - Part: 996640, 800MHz, CL 4-4-4-12, Lifetime Warranty
£40.19 www.aria.co.uk

These the bad boys?

February 1, 2009 12:11:19 AM

Maybe, but these Mushkins (#996587, link) are slightly badder. But the baddest of all are the Redlines... ;) 

The P5Q-E and E8500 combo has huge overclocking potential, so make sure you get appropriate RAM to match. Aim to run at DDR2-900 speed or higher. :sol: