Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[TS2]Sorry if this is a repost

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:04:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I have a problem with a toddler in one of my houses.

Don Goth paid a visit and when he left he took her with him. She
disappeared from the family pictures on the left.

I tried adoption, but didn't get her back.

I saved and exited to the neighbourhood....had to save, too much had
happened that I didn't want to redo.

Upon going back to the house, she was back in the family, and lying on the
pavement. But I can't click on her picture, and I can't get anyone to
interact with her. They go to pick her up etc and stop halfway through.
The nanny is stuck trying to pick her up. The nanny is peeing all over the
pavement, and stinks to high heaven. Its gone 11pm, all the adults have
been home from work for hours, but the nanny is stuck because she can't
interact with the child on the pavement.

Any ideas or help?

I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the patch -
its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed ;o(

TIA

More about : ts2 repost

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:04:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

caroline wrote:
<snip>
> Any ideas or help?
>
> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection
speed
> ;o(

Well, it is one of those problems fixed in the patch. So it's a known
bug.

Have you tried using the move objects cheat to delete the sim? Then
clicking on the portrait to bring it back?

You could also try moving out the family.
February 23, 2005 11:04:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I would use the move_objects on cheat to delete the kid, save the game. Exit
and re enter the house. The kid should be okay then.

Scotty


"caroline" <nospamplease@thank.you> wrote in message
news:384611F5lgbqmU1@individual.net...
>I have a problem with a toddler in one of my houses.
>
> Don Goth paid a visit and when he left he took her with him. She
> disappeared from the family pictures on the left.
>
> I tried adoption, but didn't get her back.
>
> I saved and exited to the neighbourhood....had to save, too much had
> happened that I didn't want to redo.
>
> Upon going back to the house, she was back in the family, and lying on the
> pavement. But I can't click on her picture, and I can't get anyone to
> interact with her. They go to pick her up etc and stop halfway through.
> The nanny is stuck trying to pick her up. The nanny is peeing all over
> the pavement, and stinks to high heaven. Its gone 11pm, all the adults
> have been home from work for hours, but the nanny is stuck because she
> can't interact with the child on the pavement.
>
> Any ideas or help?
>
> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the patch -
> its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed ;o(
>
> TIA
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:10:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

caroline wrote:
> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed

Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this problem
in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or todlers. Why
don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to download and burn it for
you?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:22:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Will Bradshaw" wrote
> caroline wrote:
>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>
> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to download
> and burn it for you?

Not so easy in ultra-rural Ireland ;o) But thanks for the suggestion anyway
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:23:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Will Bradshaw" wrote
> caroline wrote:
>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>
> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to download
> and burn it for you?

So there's no way to reactivate this sim?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:31:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"caroline" <nospamplease@thank.you> wrote in message
news:384ageF5jmf40U1@individual.net...
> "Will Bradshaw" wrote
>> caroline wrote:
>>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>>
>> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
>> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
>> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to
>> download and burn it for you?
>
> Not so easy in ultra-rural Ireland ;o) But thanks for the suggestion
> anyway
I'm in city-bound UK which is close enough. If you trust me let me know and
I will do a copy and post it off.
I think you remove {really wild} from my address, or something like that, to
reply.

Granny Crabapple.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:36:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
news:3849psF5kpssrU1@individual.net...
> caroline wrote:
>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>
> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to download
> and burn it for you?

Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have broadband,
there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband is a pretty useless
thing to suggest in that case.

C
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 4:33:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"caroline" <nospamplease@thank.you> was horrified to say:

> Upon going back to the house, she was back in the family, and lying on the
> pavement. But I can't click on her picture, and I can't get anyone to
> interact with her. They go to pick her up etc and stop halfway through.

I've lurked here for a long time, but this is my first post (Hi, y'all!). I
had the same experience with the kid we find Brandi Broke to be pregnant
with. Shortly after little "Skippy" became a toddler, the nanny picked him
up, swung him around a few times as if he had 10-foot wires attached to him
(spectacular), and left, taking him with her as Brandi and her boys idly
watched. The next morning when she returned, little Skippy was lying out
next to the mailbox on the lot's corner. Where he remained, just like
caroline experienced...no matter what. What's worse is, folks continually
think they need to do something with Skippy, so you get a herd of folks
gathering around him, reaching down, then snapping to attention.

And I have the patch!

The move_objects cheat didn't work, nor did the "boolprop
testingcheatsenabled true" one. I've got the "magic picture" and "select any
character mirror", so I could keep him (and the nanny) from getting skanky,
but nothing fixed him. Including moving the Broke family to another lot
after deleting him -- there was Skippy, now magically suspended in the air
in front of Brandi's belly. Tried to have her Find Another Place for her and
the other two lads, and a message appears scolding her for "leaving the
little ones behind". Exit and re-enter...back comes Skippy. He did seem to
like lying next to the mailbox; when I moved the garbage can next to it,
he'd appear levitated over the garbage can. The social worker ignored the
problem. In a dark moment, I thought of sticking him out in front of the
bus, but that seemed extreme, and toddlers are supposedly death-proof
anyway.

But at some point, black humor evaporates. Brandi had that dumb-looking
townie Amin Sim (apologies to any Amin fans) follow her home from work long
enough to become decent friends. Sooo, a few well-placed Flirts, a Hug or
two with appropriate Kisses tossed in and Amin was delighted to Move In.
Brandi promptly bought a computer, Found Another Place, and she and the two
older boys hit the highway. Last I saw of Amin, he waved goodbye and went
down to the curb to Hold Skippy. I exited and fired up my bulldozer...

Brandi and the boys are now happily relocated, they're in Private School,
she's a Celebrity Chef, and I've a new townie wandering my streets, a
definite improvement over Amin. End of problem.

Bob
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:07:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Charles Whitney wrote:
> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have
> broadband, there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband
> is a pretty useless thing to suggest in that case.

No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't bother to
get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband, they just don't
bother.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:07:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
news:385cq7F5j1k2uU1@individual.net...
> Charles Whitney wrote:
>> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have
>> broadband, there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband
>> is a pretty useless thing to suggest in that case.
>
> No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't bother to
> get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband, they just don't
> bother.

So what? Have you actually asked all these people who are "perfectly
capable" of getting broadband why they "don't bother" to do so? It's an
utterly presumptuous statement.

Sometimes people don't have the money for what is, truly, a friviolous
expense.

And there are plenty of places where people live where broadband is not an
option, due to availability. I live in such an area. And we're not going
to get broadband, because there's no way anyone's going to be able to
convince the governor of this fiscally bankrupt state to spend several
million dollars on infrastructure upgrades just so 150 people can download
porn faster. I live within a 4 hour drive of New York City, FYI.

How about the next time you speak to one of the legions of people you claim
to know who don't bother to get broadband, you ask them why that is? And if
they say they "just don't want to bother" or something along those lines,
how about you ask them why that is?

C
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:27:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
news:385cq7F5j1k2uU1@individual.net...
> Charles Whitney wrote:
>> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have
>> broadband, there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband
>> is a pretty useless thing to suggest in that case.
>
> No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't bother to
> get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband, they just don't
> bother.
Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
saying?

GCA
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:33:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose
(OOPS!) - tried again and came up with:
> Charles Whitney wrote:
>> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have
>> broadband, there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband
>> is a pretty useless thing to suggest in that case.
>
> No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't
> bother to get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband,
> they just don't bother.

There are also people who CAN'T get broadband. Our community only got DSL
last year, and cable modems a few months ago, and we are in a relatively
civilized area (60 miles from L.A.).

--
--- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
"The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
"The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
Mwahahaha!
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:14:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
> saying?

I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't you?
It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and its much
faster. Why not get it?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:14:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Will Bradshaw wrote:
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
> > Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
> > saying?
>
> I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't you?
> It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and its much
> faster. Why not get it?

As cheap as dialup? Where? For the big (inter)national ISPs, it's
usually something like $20-$25 US a month (if you don't want to put up with
advertising, 1-2 hour session limits, etc.), while broadband's usually twice
that...
[for me, though, we've got a non-profit organization running a dialup ISP,
so I only pay CA$100/year (about US$81, with no ISP-imposed shells or ads),
while broadband'd cost me CA$50 (US$40) or so a month, plus the 15% sales
tax, of course, which is rather a large sum]

--
"...there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot
easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into
work every day and has a job to do." [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:14:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
news:385go8F5k3pqdU1@individual.net...
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
> > Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
> > saying?
>
> I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't you?
> It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and its much
> faster. Why not get it?
>
>
I have cable internet, DSL is not available in my area, which doesn't matter
because it costs just as much. The only cable provider available here costs
at least twice as much as dial up. The only reason we got it is that dial up
was only getting speeds of about 28k on a good day and there weren't many of
those.

Kelly
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:16:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Ohmikeghod wrote:
> There are also people who CAN'T get broadband. Our community only
> got DSL last year, and cable modems a few months ago, and we are in a
> relatively civilized area (60 miles from L.A.).

Well if you can't get broadband, thats a different matter, but the chances
are they you know someone who can, and they can download large files for you
from time to time.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:32:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Besides which, broadband comes with a new series of problems.

You need more and better protection because your connection is 24/7 (or at
least all the time the PC is on)

You have to go to the provider for any technical help because the small
computer tech (who knows a hell of a lot more than the call-centre operator)
isn't set up to service broadband in its myriad forms

There is the hidden cost of download limits with many providers - something
that your average dial-up user knows nothing about until it bites them in
the arse

Phone based broadband are not everything they are claimed to be as far as
speed and reliability go

Satellite based broadband still require a phone connection

And cable based broadband are a limited market (in Aus anyway) meaning that
they are NOT competitively priced.


--
MM
This has been an useless statement bought to you by the woman who once
pointed madly and said "Dad! Dad! Dad!" because she'd forgotten how to say
"Put the pot down, there's a redback nesting centimetres from your fingers!"



"Ohmikeghod" <ohmikeghod@mirthlink.net> wrote in message
news:vrfTd.4735$873.2733@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Will Bradshaw waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose
> (OOPS!) - tried again and came up with:
> > Charles Whitney wrote:
> >> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have
> >> broadband, there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband
> >> is a pretty useless thing to suggest in that case.
> >
> > No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't
> > bother to get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband,
> > they just don't bother.
>
> There are also people who CAN'T get broadband. Our community only got DSL
> last year, and cable modems a few months ago, and we are in a relatively
> civilized area (60 miles from L.A.).
>
> --
> --- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
> Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
> "The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
> "The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
> Mwahahaha!
>
>
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:02:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
news:385go8F5k3pqdU1@individual.net...
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>> Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
>> saying?
>
> I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't you?
> It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and its much
> faster. Why not get it?
>
Madame Min put it so much better than I could manage.

I watch the service group broadband moans and groans board. It is very, very
busy.

GCA
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:16:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:xn8Td.22135$8B3.9231@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "caroline" <nospamplease@thank.you> wrote in message
> news:384ageF5jmf40U1@individual.net...
>> "Will Bradshaw" wrote
>>> caroline wrote:
>>>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>>>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>>>
>>> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
>>> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
>>> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to
>>> download and burn it for you?
>>
>> Not so easy in ultra-rural Ireland ;o) But thanks for the suggestion
>> anyway
> I'm in city-bound UK which is close enough. If you trust me let me know
> and I will do a copy and post it off.
> I think you remove {really wild} from my address, or something like that,
> to reply.
>
> Granny Crabapple.

Thanks Granny

Am trying to download this morning. 4 hours and 42% so far. Will see how
it goes. If I get stuck I can email you. I'm in the UK for Crufts in a
week or two, so can give you a Uk address if its easier, if needs be.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:16:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, caroline wrote:
> Am trying to download this morning. 4 hours and 42% so far. Will see how
> it goes.

Ye gods! 4 hours and you're not even halfway through a 16MB file??? I'm
on 33.6k dialup and it takes about 6 minutes per MB from most sites - 96
minutes for a 16MB file. [assuming, of course, I'm not using BitTorrent :p ]

--
"...there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot
easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into
work every day and has a job to do." [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:17:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Charles Whitney" wrote
>
> "Will Bradshaw" wrote
>> caroline wrote:
>>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>>
>> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
>> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
>> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to
>> download and burn it for you?
>
> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have broadband,
> there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband is a pretty
> useless thing to suggest in that case.

Thanks, yes there is a reason. mainly that our telecom provider refuses to
recognise that there's more to Ireland than Dublin ;o)
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:18:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Will Bradshaw" wrote
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>> Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
>> saying?
>
> I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't you?
> It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and its much
> faster. Why not get it?

And if you can't, its not very helpful ;o)
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:22:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Scotty" wrote
>I would use the move_objects on cheat to delete the kid, save the game.
>Exit and re enter the house. The kid should be okay then.
>
> Scotty

Thanks to you and Jeremy for this suggestion. Will give it a go

For those patch-savvy

If I do manage to download the patch, will it fix it for this child, or have
I lost her completely? If the other suggestions don't work that is...

TIA

Caroline


>
>
> "caroline" <nospamplease@thank.you> wrote in message
> news:384611F5lgbqmU1@individual.net...
>>I have a problem with a toddler in one of my houses.
>>
>> Don Goth paid a visit and when he left he took her with him. She
>> disappeared from the family pictures on the left.
>>
>> I tried adoption, but didn't get her back.
>>
>> I saved and exited to the neighbourhood....had to save, too much had
>> happened that I didn't want to redo.
>>
>> Upon going back to the house, she was back in the family, and lying on
>> the pavement. But I can't click on her picture, and I can't get anyone
>> to interact with her. They go to pick her up etc and stop halfway
>> through.
>> The nanny is stuck trying to pick her up. The nanny is peeing all over
>> the pavement, and stinks to high heaven. Its gone 11pm, all the adults
>> have been home from work for hours, but the nanny is stuck because she
>> can't interact with the child on the pavement.
>>
>> Any ideas or help?
>>
>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the patch -
>> its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed ;o(
>>
>> TIA
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 4:09:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Madame Mim wrote:
> Besides which, broadband comes with a new series of problems.
>
> You need more and better protection because your connection is 24/7 (or at
> least all the time the PC is on)
>
> You have to go to the provider for any technical help because the small
> computer tech (who knows a hell of a lot more than the call-centre operator)
> isn't set up to service broadband in its myriad forms
>
> There is the hidden cost of download limits with many providers - something
> that your average dial-up user knows nothing about until it bites them in
> the arse
>
> Phone based broadband are not everything they are claimed to be as far as
> speed and reliability go
>
> Satellite based broadband still require a phone connection
>
> And cable based broadband are a limited market (in Aus anyway) meaning that
> they are NOT competitively priced.
>
>

And many providers think that everybody's using windows XP or at least
windows 98se, if you're not (eg. older computers, or it's just to
expensive to buy (an upgrade for) windows xp) you cannot install the
modem, friend of mine had that happen with her mum's computer, luckily
her mother could arrange an upgrade through work, otherwise she wouldn't
have done it, since they did not think it would be worth the costs.

Bianca
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 4:10:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Well, to be fair, I pay less here in the UK for my Broadband service than I
was paying last year for dial up (with session limits). And as far as I can
tell there are no restrictions (and I download ALL the time) or advertising.
My you, your dial up deal sounds good (without knowing what the exchange
rate is for Canadian dollars). I guess it pays to shop around.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Joseph William Dixon" <aa343@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050224080922.28612A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
>
> As cheap as dialup? Where? For the big (inter)national ISPs, it's
> usually something like $20-$25 US a month (if you don't want to put up
with
> advertising, 1-2 hour session limits, etc.), while broadband's usually
twice
> that...
> [for me, though, we've got a non-profit organization running a dialup
ISP,
> so I only pay CA$100/year (about US$81, with no ISP-imposed shells or
ads),
> while broadband'd cost me CA$50 (US$40) or so a month, plus the 15% sales
> tax, of course, which is rather a large sum]
>
> --
> "...there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that
cannot
> easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into
> work every day and has a job to do." [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]
> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html
>
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 4:10:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw wrote:

> No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't bother to
> get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband, they just don't
> bother.
>
>

Da doesn't have broadband because it's limited to just his house, and
he'd rather be able to take his dial-up to other locations. He has a lot
of good reasons for not switching.

There's more than one way to live, and it can include no broadband.

-georg
(of course, you can't take my broadband from me!)
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:19:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Madame Mim wrote:
> And cable based broadband are a limited market (in Aus anyway)
> meaning that they are NOT competitively priced.

My ISP for my 'cable based broadband', NTL, charge £15 for 150kbps £25 for
600kbps £35 for 1.5mbps (all costs are AFAIK and per month). There is no
DL or UL limit, and it rarly goes wrong. How is thats not competatively
priced?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:36:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw wrote:

> Madame Mim wrote:
>
>>And cable based broadband are a limited market (in Aus anyway)
>>meaning that they are NOT competitively priced.
>
>
> My ISP for my 'cable based broadband', NTL, charge £15 for 150kbps £25 for
> 600kbps £35 for 1.5mbps (all costs are AFAIK and per month). There is no
> DL or UL limit, and it rarly goes wrong. How is thats not competatively
> priced?
>
>


Competitively priced in YOUR neighborhood. We don't all live with you or
near you. Please stop thinking that it's all like that.

-georg
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:48:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

>>
>> I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't
>> you? It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and
>> its much faster. Why not get it?
>>
>>
> I have cable internet, DSL is not available in my area, which doesn't
> matter because it costs just as much. The only cable provider
> available here costs at least twice as much as dial up. The only
> reason we got it is that dial up was only getting speeds of about 28k
> on a good day and there weren't many of those.
>
> Kelly

For years, we paid for a second phone line in addition to Earthlink's
monthly charge for dialup. The only reason we did that is that neither
cable nor DSL was available in the rural community we live in. When our
cable provider brought cable internet to our area, I was among the first to
sign up. It costs me $45 a month, which includes the $5 a month modem
rental. I could buy my own modem and save that rental fee, but in the two
years we've had it, we've had to have them replace the modem once already.
It costs about $10 less than the extra phone line and ISP charges we were
paying for dialup. I love it. There's no way I would voluntarily go back
to dial up.

Jeanie
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:55:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Madame Mim wrote:
> Besides which, broadband comes with a new series of problems.
>
> You need more and better protection because your connection is 24/7
> (or at least all the time the PC is on)

My cable modem is connected to a router which is completely cloaked online.
From there it is split to three computers. The only time I notice a lag in
speed is if my kids upstairs are both downloading something at the same time
that I'm trying to do something. They both like to go watch music videos
online and that eats up the bandwidth, but it seldom happens at the same
time that I'm doing something online.

>
> You have to go to the provider for any technical help because the
> small computer tech (who knows a hell of a lot more than the
> call-centre operator) isn't set up to service broadband in its myriad
> forms

I guess it might be the luck of the draw, but my cable company provides
excellent tech support for the few times I've needed to use it.
>
> There is the hidden cost of download limits with many providers -
> something that your average dial-up user knows nothing about until it
> bites them in the arse

This is something I've never encountered, at least not yet. I don't know of
anyone around here who has experienced it, either.
>
> Phone based broadband are not everything they are claimed to be as
> far as speed and reliability go

This is true, but it's still cheaper than having two phone lines and it
allows you to use your telephone while someone is online, an invaluable
thing when you are dealing with tech support.
>
> Satellite based broadband still require a phone connection

They are also extremely expensive.
>
> And cable based broadband are a limited market (in Aus anyway)
> meaning that they are NOT competitively priced.
>
True. But they are in competition with the phone company and the DSL lines,
so that keeps the prices in line here.

Jeanie
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 9:51:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Rainbow wrote:
> Quantify this statement with examples please.

news:386d42F5iir5cU1@individual.net
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:41:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

As a pensioner in the uk and on a fixed income I endorse broadband rather
than dialup. I pay a set fee per month for 1Mb broadband,
telephone service and cable tv package with Telewest and Blueyonder.
Their current charges:- http://www.telewest.co.uk/websales/service.do?id=2

I've been using the internet since Microsoft made me a beta tester for
Windows 95 and their own trial internet service and I ran up huge bills with
British Telecom - mainly by not
realising that they charged for each dialup including failed attempts. I
frequently ran up large bills of £30 or more just on the internet this way.

Getting "The Sims" gave me the push to change over. I got fed up with
waiting for objects to download! Now you cannot beat it for sending digital
photos to relatives.

Skeatsan''co







"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
news:386m1jF5k0f0eU1@individual.net...
> Rainbow wrote:
>> Quantify this statement with examples please.
>
> news:386d42F5iir5cU1@individual.net
>
>
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:53:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Joseph William Dixon" <aa343@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050224081544.28612B-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, caroline wrote:
>> Am trying to download this morning. 4 hours and 42% so far. Will see
>> how
>> it goes.
>
> Ye gods! 4 hours and you're not even halfway through a 16MB file??? I'm
> on 33.6k dialup and it takes about 6 minutes per MB from most sites - 96
> minutes for a 16MB file. [assuming, of course, I'm not using BitTorrent
> :p ]
>
Well I know 'exactly' how she feels. I am cable and the variations in speed
are amazing.
When i download a large file it starts in a rush with a speed round 48, and
I am happy. Then I watch it fall, and 'time remaining' creep up, and up, and
up, until eventually i can sit and wait some time for even a blip to get
through. It is usually at this point that the server (I suppose) tells me as
no activity is going on, it is disconnecting.

Early morning is my best time, about four to fiveish. I can often download
huge files then without problems. Huge being about 6-10 Meg.

Granny.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:53:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

>>
>> Granny Crabapple.
>
> Thanks Granny
>
> Am trying to download this morning. 4 hours and 42% so far. Will see how
> it goes. If I get stuck I can email you. I'm in the UK for Crufts in a
> week or two, so can give you a Uk address if its easier, if needs be.
Righty-ho. Is Crufts at the NEC? I am a spit and polish away from there, the
other side of Birmingham but on a direct train route. I wonder if there is
an information booth we could use as a post box?

granny - grinning.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:12:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose
(OOPS!) - tried again and came up with:
> Madame Mim wrote:
>> And cable based broadband are a limited market (in Aus anyway)
>> meaning that they are NOT competitively priced.
>
> My ISP for my 'cable based broadband', NTL, charge £15 for 150kbps
> £25 for 600kbps £35 for 1.5mbps (all costs are AFAIK and per month).
> There is no DL or UL limit, and it rarly goes wrong. How is thats
> not competatively priced?

Here in the U.S., Broadband is a bit more money than dialup. for example, a
Dial-up can be had for $9.95-$21.95, but My DSL is $49.95 (about the same as
cable). So, it's two and a half to five times more expensive, depending on
your choice of ISPs. The ONLY time it becomes "competetively priced" is
when you have more than 1 dialup from the same location, and can get rid of
additional phone lines, but then the broadband ISP provides home networking
at additional monthly cost (usually about $10). A lot of rural America
hasn't gotten broadband for various reasons (no cable, too far from an
exchange for DSL, population too scattered to get a good return on
investment, etc.). Of course, people can get satellite broadband, but that
gets expensive, too.

My monthly bill for DSL + Home networking + Phone bill is $76.03 after
taxes. Back when I had two lines, I was paying for two ISP accounts and two
phone lines, and my monthly bill was about $75. So, I'm competetive, but
not everyone has the same ability to be that.

As far as "knowing someone who does" goes, how are they supposed to get
those downloads to me? Any electronic means will still use up the
bandwidth, and having people burn a CD and drive out to deliver it seems a
big imposition. I'm 60 miles from the city, but if I lived in Mojave
instead of Lancaster, I'd be another 30 miles from civilization. If I lived
in Big Pine, it would be an all-day drive from L.A. an a major expedition
for the person to deliver some game objects. They would have to have
another reason to come out, with the delivery of game objects being an
addition to the visit.

"Hi, This is Mike"
"Hi, Mike, long time, no speak"
"How would you like to come out for a visit?"
"Sure, this weekend?"
"Fine by me, oh, by the way..."
"Yes?"
"I'm emailing you a list of stuff I need for a computer game that you
probably don't have, would you download and burn those for me?"
"Sure, any time - I have a stack of unused CD's and have been wondering what
to put on them. At last I have an excuse to use the CD burner. I also have
lots of free time to do that in, so there's no problem there, either."
"Thanks! See you this weekend! Bye!"
(click)

--
--- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
"The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
"The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
Mwahahaha!
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:35:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Ohmikeghod wrote:

> As far as "knowing someone who does" goes, how are they supposed to get
> those downloads to me? Any electronic means will still use up the
> bandwidth, and having people burn a CD and drive out to deliver it seems a
> big imposition. I'm 60 miles from the city, but if I lived in Mojave
> instead of Lancaster, I'd be another 30 miles from civilization. If I lived
> in Big Pine, it would be an all-day drive from L.A. an a major expedition
> for the person to deliver some game objects. They would have to have
> another reason to come out, with the delivery of game objects being an
> addition to the visit.

You can mail a CD fairly safely these days.

You still need to con someone into burning it for you and the time
involved in downloading, but popping it in the mail ain't as bad as you
think.

-georg
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:06:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
> You can mail a CD fairly safely these days.
>
> You still need to con someone into burning it for you and the time
> involved in downloading, but popping it in the mail ain't as bad as
> you think.

It takes a few minutes to download a 16MB file, and about 5 to burn it, then
give 10 mins to get it to the post box. So after a quick phone call, it
takes 20mins, at the most, to get it sent.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:01:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Granny Crabapple" wrote
>
> "Joseph William Dixon" wrote

>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, caroline wrote:
>>> Am trying to download this morning. 4 hours and 42% so far. Will see
>>> how
>>> it goes.
>>
>> Ye gods! 4 hours and you're not even halfway through a 16MB file??? I'm
>> on 33.6k dialup and it takes about 6 minutes per MB from most sites - 96
>> minutes for a 16MB file. [assuming, of course, I'm not using BitTorrent
>> :p ]
>>
> Well I know 'exactly' how she feels. I am cable and the variations in
> speed are amazing.
> When i download a large file it starts in a rush with a speed round 48,
> and I am happy. Then I watch it fall, and 'time remaining' creep up, and
> up, and up, until eventually i can sit and wait some time for even a blip
> to get through. It is usually at this point that the server (I suppose)
> tells me as no activity is going on, it is disconnecting.

Oh boy that sounds so familiar!

I did manage to download the patch in the end, but it took a Loooong long
time. By comparison installing it was very quick ;o)

Thanks again for your very kind offer though Granny ;o)
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:02:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"caroline" <nospamplease@thank.you> wrote in message
news:388bcnF5l5kfmU1@individual.net...

>
> I did manage to download the patch in the end, but it took a Loooong long
> time. By comparison installing it was very quick ;o)
>
> Thanks again for your very kind offer though Granny ;o)
>
>
No sweat. 8))))

Granny.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 8:05:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
news:3871fqF5hh28vU1@individual.net...
> georg wrote:
> > You can mail a CD fairly safely these days.
> >
> > You still need to con someone into burning it for you and the time
> > involved in downloading, but popping it in the mail ain't as bad as
> > you think.
>
> It takes a few minutes to download a 16MB file, and about 5 to burn it,
then
> give 10 mins to get it to the post box. So after a quick phone call, it
> takes 20mins, at the most, to get it sent.
>
But it takes a while to locate the websites and find the proper pages and
determine what items the asker wanted. Even given URLs, that's a chore.
Not only that, but you're talking about "file sharing" (unless the sender
doesn't have the game on his machine), which many websites dissaprove of. I
know I don't want my stuff traded willy-nilly, especially stuff that I've
made as donation items. I know that we are talking about TS2 stuff here,
but sooner or later, my machine WILL get upgraded (probably later - I'm
poor) and I'll start making TS2 items. I know that it's impossible to
eradicate file sharing, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

--
--- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
"The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
"The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
Mwahahaha!
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:02:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:385ncuF5lfkjhU1@individual.net:

> How about the next time you speak to one of the legions of people
> you claim to know who don't bother to get broadband, you ask them
> why that is? And if they say they "just don't want to bother" or
> something along those lines, how about you ask them why that is?

The OP was unfortunate in generalizing his UK experience to other
countries, but there are people who "just don't bother" about
broadband. I asked one why she didn't get broadband and she said she
couldn't justify the cost. This from a woman who smokes 4 packs a day,
which costs how much more?

--
---->Sagittaria<----

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:02:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Sagittaria" <sagittaria.nntp@emailias.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9609B77E7F0DDsagittaria@216.168.3.44...
> "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:385ncuF5lfkjhU1@individual.net:
>
> > How about the next time you speak to one of the legions of people
> > you claim to know who don't bother to get broadband, you ask them
> > why that is? And if they say they "just don't want to bother" or
> > something along those lines, how about you ask them why that is?
>
> The OP was unfortunate in generalizing his UK experience to other
> countries, but there are people who "just don't bother" about
> broadband. I asked one why she didn't get broadband and she said she
> couldn't justify the cost. This from a woman who smokes 4 packs a day,
> which costs how much more?
>
> --
> ---->Sagittaria<----
>
Hmmm, You are obviously not a smoker, or you are even
worse..................an ex-smoker, lol.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 5:59:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Sagittaria" <sagittaria.nntp@emailias.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9609B77E7F0DDsagittaria@216.168.3.44...
> "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:385ncuF5lfkjhU1@individual.net:
>
>> How about the next time you speak to one of the legions of people
>> you claim to know who don't bother to get broadband, you ask them
>> why that is? And if they say they "just don't want to bother" or
>> something along those lines, how about you ask them why that is?
>
> The OP was unfortunate in generalizing his UK experience to other
> countries, but there are people who "just don't bother" about
> broadband. I asked one why she didn't get broadband and she said she
> couldn't justify the cost. This from a woman who smokes 4 packs a day,
> which costs how much more?

As I said, some people just don't have the money for, or just don't want to
spend the money on, a friviolous expense. Cigarettes are more important to
her than broadband. Oh well. I'm sure someone could look at a monthly
broadband expense and find that every bit as wasteful.

C
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 3:42:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Sagittaria wrote:

> The OP was unfortunate in generalizing his UK experience
> to other countries, but there are people who "just don't
> bother" about broadband. I asked one why she didn't get
> broadband and she said she couldn't justify the cost.
> This from a woman who smokes 4 packs a day, which costs
> how much more?

Which is why she couldn't afford broadband. Duh :-)

T.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 5:01:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Taemon wrote:

> Sagittaria wrote:
>
>
>>The OP was unfortunate in generalizing his UK experience
>>to other countries, but there are people who "just don't
>>bother" about broadband. I asked one why she didn't get
>>broadband and she said she couldn't justify the cost.
>>This from a woman who smokes 4 packs a day, which costs
>>how much more?
>
>
> Which is why she couldn't afford broadband. Duh :-)

Well, if I took the money I spent on boradband and savedit, I could go
on a cruise every year. Spending is always a matter of your priorities. :) 

On second thought, if I conned the sweetie into dropping smokes and
booze and we jarred that money, do you think I could con him into a
cruise next year? One could wish...

-georg
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 9:41:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
> Taemon wrote:
>
>> Sagittaria wrote:
>>
>>
>>> The OP was unfortunate in generalizing his UK experience
>>> to other countries, but there are people who "just don't
>>> bother" about broadband. I asked one why she didn't get
>>> broadband and she said she couldn't justify the cost.
>>> This from a woman who smokes 4 packs a day, which costs
>>> how much more?
>>
>>
>> Which is why she couldn't afford broadband. Duh :-)
>
> Well, if I took the money I spent on boradband and savedit, I could go
> on a cruise every year. Spending is always a matter of your
> priorities. :) 

If you don't count what I was paying for the second phone line back when I
had dialup, it costs me $25 a month more for Cable internet ($45, which
includes the ISP) than it did for my dialup ISP ($20 for Earthlink). That
comes to $300 a year. I'd have a hard time cruising much of anywhere on
that. LOL

Jeanie
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 9:49:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Jeanie wrote:

> georg wrote:
>
>>Taemon wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Sagittaria wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>The OP was unfortunate in generalizing his UK experience
>>>>to other countries, but there are people who "just don't
>>>>bother" about broadband. I asked one why she didn't get
>>>>broadband and she said she couldn't justify the cost.
>>>>This from a woman who smokes 4 packs a day, which costs
>>>>how much more?
>>>
>>>
>>>Which is why she couldn't afford broadband. Duh :-)
>>
>>Well, if I took the money I spent on boradband and savedit, I could go
>>on a cruise every year. Spending is always a matter of your
>>priorities. :) 
>
>
> If you don't count what I was paying for the second phone line back when I
> had dialup, it costs me $25 a month more for Cable internet ($45, which
> includes the ISP) than it did for my dialup ISP ($20 for Earthlink). That
> comes to $300 a year. I'd have a hard time cruising much of anywhere on
> that. LOL
>
> Jeanie
>
>

Bahamas, 3 night, 4 day cruise, without air fare. I went on one about
that price range as my self-graduation from college present a few years
ago. Only then, that cost did include air-fare.

-georg
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 8:39:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Ok....this time I have a similar problem again....but I have the patch
installed! I thought the patch was supposed to stop this stuff?

A toddler is stuck on the nappy changing table with his legs in the
air.....the nanny is stuck in the middle of the room, in a puddle of wee and
stinking to high heaven...

What's caused this?
!