I have a problem with a toddler in one of my houses.

Don Goth paid a visit and when he left he took her with him. She
disappeared from the family pictures on the left.

I tried adoption, but didn't get her back.

I saved and exited to the neighbourhood....had to save, too much had
happened that I didn't want to redo.

Upon going back to the house, she was back in the family, and lying on the
pavement. But I can't click on her picture, and I can't get anyone to
interact with her. They go to pick her up etc and stop halfway through.
The nanny is stuck trying to pick her up. The nanny is peeing all over the
pavement, and stinks to high heaven. Its gone 11pm, all the adults have
been home from work for hours, but the nanny is stuck because she can't
interact with the child on the pavement.

Any ideas or help?

I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the patch -
its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed ;o(

TIA

caroline wrote:
<snip>
> Any ideas or help?
>
> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection
speed
> ;o(

Well, it is one of those problems fixed in the patch. So it's a known
bug.

Have you tried using the move objects cheat to delete the sim? Then
clicking on the portrait to bring it back?

You could also try moving out the family.

Scotty

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2001

I would use the move_objects on cheat to delete the kid, save the game. Exit
and re enter the house. The kid should be okay then.

Scotty

caroline wrote:
> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed

Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this problem
in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or todlers. Why
don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to download and burn it for
you?

"Will Bradshaw" wrote
> caroline wrote:
>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>
> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to download
> and burn it for you?

Not so easy in ultra-rural Ireland ;o) But thanks for the suggestion anyway

"Will Bradshaw" wrote
> caroline wrote:
>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>
> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to download
> and burn it for you?

So there's no way to reactivate this sim?

> "Will Bradshaw" wrote
>> caroline wrote:
>>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>>
>> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
>> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
>> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to
>> download and burn it for you?
>
> Not so easy in ultra-rural Ireland ;o) But thanks for the suggestion
> anyway
I'm in city-bound UK which is close enough. If you trust me let me know and
I will do a copy and post it off.
I think you remove {really wild} from my address, or something like that, to
reply.

Granny Crabapple.

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> caroline wrote:
>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>
> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to download
> and burn it for you?

Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have broadband,
there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband is a pretty useless
thing to suggest in that case.

"caroline" <nospamplease@thank.you> was horrified to say:

> Upon going back to the house, she was back in the family, and lying on the
> pavement. But I can't click on her picture, and I can't get anyone to
> interact with her. They go to pick her up etc and stop halfway through.

I've lurked here for a long time, but this is my first post (Hi, y'all!). I
had the same experience with the kid we find Brandi Broke to be pregnant
with. Shortly after little "Skippy" became a toddler, the nanny picked him
up, swung him around a few times as if he had 10-foot wires attached to him
(spectacular), and left, taking him with her as Brandi and her boys idly
watched. The next morning when she returned, little Skippy was lying out
next to the mailbox on the lot's corner. Where he remained, just like
caroline experienced...no matter what. What's worse is, folks continually
think they need to do something with Skippy, so you get a herd of folks
gathering around him, reaching down, then snapping to attention.

And I have the patch!

The move_objects cheat didn't work, nor did the "boolprop
testingcheatsenabled true" one. I've got the "magic picture" and "select any
character mirror", so I could keep him (and the nanny) from getting skanky,
but nothing fixed him. Including moving the Broke family to another lot
after deleting him -- there was Skippy, now magically suspended in the air
in front of Brandi's belly. Tried to have her Find Another Place for her and
the other two lads, and a message appears scolding her for "leaving the
little ones behind". Exit and re-enter...back comes Skippy. He did seem to
like lying next to the mailbox; when I moved the garbage can next to it,
he'd appear levitated over the garbage can. The social worker ignored the
problem. In a dark moment, I thought of sticking him out in front of the
bus, but that seemed extreme, and toddlers are supposedly death-proof
anyway.

But at some point, black humor evaporates. Brandi had that dumb-looking
townie Amin Sim (apologies to any Amin fans) follow her home from work long
enough to become decent friends. Sooo, a few well-placed Flirts, a Hug or
two with appropriate Kisses tossed in and Amin was delighted to Move In.
Brandi promptly bought a computer, Found Another Place, and she and the two
older boys hit the highway. Last I saw of Amin, he waved goodbye and went
down to the curb to Hold Skippy. I exited and fired up my bulldozer...

Brandi and the boys are now happily relocated, they're in Private School,
she's a Celebrity Chef, and I've a new townie wandering my streets, a
definite improvement over Amin. End of problem.

Bob

Charles Whitney wrote:
> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have
> broadband, there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband
> is a pretty useless thing to suggest in that case.

No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't bother to
get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband, they just don't
bother.

> Charles Whitney wrote:
>> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have
>> broadband, there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband
>> is a pretty useless thing to suggest in that case.
>
> No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't bother to
> get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband, they just don't
> bother.

So what? Have you actually asked all these people who are "perfectly
capable" of getting broadband why they "don't bother" to do so? It's an
utterly presumptuous statement.

Sometimes people don't have the money for what is, truly, a friviolous
expense.

And there are plenty of places where people live where broadband is not an
option, due to availability. I live in such an area. And we're not going
to get broadband, because there's no way anyone's going to be able to
convince the governor of this fiscally bankrupt state to spend several
million dollars on infrastructure upgrades just so 150 people can download
porn faster. I live within a 4 hour drive of New York City, FYI.

How about the next time you speak to one of the legions of people you claim
to know who don't bother to get broadband, you ask them why that is? And if
they say they "just don't want to bother" or something along those lines,
how about you ask them why that is?

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> Charles Whitney wrote:
>> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have
>> broadband, there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband
>> is a pretty useless thing to suggest in that case.
>
> No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't bother to
> get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband, they just don't
> bother.
Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
saying?

GCA

Will Bradshaw waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose
(OOPS!) - tried again and came up with:
> Charles Whitney wrote:
>> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have
>> broadband, there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband
>> is a pretty useless thing to suggest in that case.
>
> No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't
> bother to get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband,
> they just don't bother.

There are also people who CAN'T get broadband. Our community only got DSL
last year, and cable modems a few months ago, and we are in a relatively
civilized area (60 miles from L.A.).

--
--- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
> saying?

I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't you?
It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and its much
faster. Why not get it?

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Will Bradshaw wrote:
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
> > Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
> > saying?
>
> I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't you?
> It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and its much
> faster. Why not get it?

As cheap as dialup? Where? For the big (inter)national ISPs, it's
usually something like $20-$25 US a month (if you don't want to put up with
advertising, 1-2 hour session limits, etc.), while broadband's usually twice
that...
[for me, though, we've got a non-profit organization running a dialup ISP,
so I only pay CA$100/year (about US$81, with no ISP-imposed shells or ads),
while broadband'd cost me CA$50 (US$40) or so a month, plus the 15% sales
tax, of course, which is rather a large sum]

> Granny Crabapple wrote:
> > Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
> > saying?
>
> I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't you?
> It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and its much
> faster. Why not get it?

I have cable internet, DSL is not available in my area, which doesn't matter
because it costs just as much. The only cable provider available here costs
at least twice as much as dial up. The only reason we got it is that dial up
was only getting speeds of about 28k on a good day and there weren't many of
those.

Kelly

Ohmikeghod wrote:
> There are also people who CAN'T get broadband. Our community only
> got DSL last year, and cable modems a few months ago, and we are in a
> relatively civilized area (60 miles from L.A.).

Well if you can't get broadband, thats a different matter, but the chances
are they you know someone who can, and they can download large files for you
from time to time.

Besides which, broadband comes with a new series of problems.

You need more and better protection because your connection is 24/7 (or at
least all the time the PC is on)

You have to go to the provider for any technical help because the small
computer tech (who knows a hell of a lot more than the call-centre operator)
isn't set up to service broadband in its myriad forms

There is the hidden cost of download limits with many providers - something
that your average dial-up user knows nothing about until it bites them in
the arse

Phone based broadband are not everything they are claimed to be as far as
speed and reliability go

Satellite based broadband still require a phone connection

And cable based broadband are a limited market (in Aus anyway) meaning that
they are NOT competitively priced.

--
MM
This has been an useless statement bought to you by the woman who once

"Ohmikeghod" <ohmikeghod@mirthlink.net> wrote in message
> Will Bradshaw waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose
> (OOPS!) - tried again and came up with:
> > Charles Whitney wrote:
> >> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have
> >> broadband, there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband
> >> is a pretty useless thing to suggest in that case.
> >
> > No, I know lots of people that still have dialup and just don't
> > bother to get broadband, they are perfectly able to get broadband,
> > they just don't bother.
>
> There are also people who CAN'T get broadband. Our community only got DSL
> last year, and cable modems a few months ago, and we are in a relatively
> civilized area (60 miles from L.A.).
>
> --
> --- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
> Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
> "The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
> "The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
> Mwahahaha!

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>> Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
>> saying?
>
> I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't you?
> It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and its much
> faster. Why not get it?

Madame Min put it so much better than I could manage.

I watch the service group broadband moans and groans board. It is very, very
busy.

GCA

"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "caroline" <nospamplease@thank.you> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
>>> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
>>> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to
>>> download and burn it for you?
>>
>> Not so easy in ultra-rural Ireland ;o) But thanks for the suggestion
>> anyway
> I'm in city-bound UK which is close enough. If you trust me let me know
> and I will do a copy and post it off.
> I think you remove {really wild} from my address, or something like that,
> to reply.
>
> Granny Crabapple.

Thanks Granny

Am trying to download this morning. 4 hours and 42% so far. Will see how
it goes. If I get stuck I can email you. I'm in the UK for Crufts in a
week or two, so can give you a Uk address if its easier, if needs be.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, caroline wrote:
> Am trying to download this morning. 4 hours and 42% so far. Will see how
> it goes.

Ye gods! 4 hours and you're not even halfway through a 16MB file??? I'm
on 33.6k dialup and it takes about 6 minutes per MB from most sites - 96
minutes for a 16MB file. [assuming, of course, I'm not using BitTorrent :p]

"Charles Whitney" wrote

> "Will Bradshaw" wrote
>> caroline wrote:
>>> I haven't downloaded any items/objects, nor have I downloaded the
>>> patch - its 16+mb and would take approx 3 days on my connection speed
>>
>> Well it's because you haven't downloaded the patch that you got this
>> problem in the first place. It stops visitors kidknapping children or
>> todlers. Why don't you get broadband or somone with broadband to
>> download and burn it for you?
>
> Just an FYI, for your future reference, if someone doesn't have broadband,
> there's usually a reason. Telling them to get broadband is a pretty
> useless thing to suggest in that case.

Thanks, yes there is a reason. mainly that our telecom provider refuses to
recognise that there's more to Ireland than Dublin ;o)

"Will Bradshaw" wrote
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>> Hold on. Because it is there we HAVE to have it? Is that what you are
>> saying?
>
> I'm not saying you have to get it, I'm saying if you can, why don't you?
> It's as cheap as dial up, you get a permanant connection, and its much
> faster. Why not get it?

And if you can't, its not very helpful ;o)

"Scotty" wrote
>I would use the move_objects on cheat to delete the kid, save the game.
>Exit and re enter the house. The kid should be okay then.
>
> Scotty

Thanks to you and Jeremy for this suggestion. Will give it a go

For those patch-savvy

If I do manage to download the patch, will it fix it for this child, or have
I lost her completely? If the other suggestions don't work that is...

TIA

Caroline

Madame Mim wrote:
> Besides which, broadband comes with a new series of problems.
>
> You need more and better protection because your connection is 24/7 (or at
> least all the time the PC is on)
>
> You have to go to the provider for any technical help because the small
> computer tech (who knows a hell of a lot more than the call-centre operator)
> isn't set up to service broadband in its myriad forms
>
> There is the hidden cost of download limits with many providers - something
> that your average dial-up user knows nothing about until it bites them in
> the arse
>
> Phone based broadband are not everything they are claimed to be as far as
> speed and reliability go
>
> Satellite based broadband still require a phone connection
>
> And cable based broadband are a limited market (in Aus anyway) meaning that
> they are NOT competitively priced.

And many providers think that everybody's using windows XP or at least
windows 98se, if you're not (eg. older computers, or it's just to
expensive to buy (an upgrade for) windows xp) you cannot install the
modem, friend of mine had that happen with her mum's computer, luckily
her mother could arrange an upgrade through work, otherwise she wouldn't
have done it, since they did not think it would be worth the costs.

Bianca