Dying video card (Laptop) ?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that is what you see when you turn in your laptop, then the video card is dying.

If that's what you see after your laptop has been on for a while, then it is overheating. In this situation stop using it immediately and get it serviced. Prolonged overheating will cause the video card to die.

G

I have a similar problem, HP Dv9t with NVIDIA 8600m. How do we go about fixing this? I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Sad part is it's probably built onto the motherboard. I work on mac laptops at work quite a bit and that's how most of those are. So I suspect the hp's would be the same. Unless they are under warranty through hp, may be better off just getting a new laptop. PC laptops are probably not this bad, but I know a board for a mac laptop runs usually almost as much as the machine is worth. Between 350-800 or 900 bucks. However, some good news there are external hard drive enclosures available, you may be able to find one on newegg that will fit your laptop hard drive, use that via a usb cable with whatever computer you may buy if that's what you have to do, and still be able to save your files.

G

Yes, I was very surprise to learn that it is integrated with the mobo. I found this out by contacting the HP rep, but I am still skeptical about it (not sure if he/she knows my exact model). Hp has so many models! There are literally 100+ models just in the dv900 series... I'd almost thought that my laptop comes with a discrete video card, (NVIDIA 8600GS)... That was the selling point for me; the ability to replace/upgrade the video card.

Anyways, after 1 night of rest, the video seems to be working again. Perhaps it was just overheated. I am now using it only on one monitor. It was running clone mode (1600x1080) x2 while powering a 3D game using 4x anti-aliasing. I think that was too much for it.

As for data, I never put any important data in the C drive. I have several external HD for this purpose. Thanks for the reply. I am just very glad that it is working again and I don't have to replace the entire laptop just because of the video card.

Guys, you have the dreaded Nvidia 8x00M meltdown problem.

The Nvidia 8x00 series, especially the 8400 and 8600, have a design flaw that causes a premature meltdown. This happened to my DELL laptop's 8400m GS. I contacted Dell service reps, proved that it was the GPU flaw that killed the GPU, and they replaced my GPU & probably also my mobo after I sent it in for repairs.

I suggest you contact the company that you bought the laptop from, and get it replaced. If you're seeing those lines, then it's already too late - your GPU has already been damaged and is dying.

"Inquirer: Every Nvidia Graphics Card With G84 or G86 Chipset Is Ready to Die"

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/07/inquirer_every_nvidia_graphics_card_with_g84_or_g86_chipset_is_ready_to_die-2.html

lilzui

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hi BlueScreenDe,

The same thing happened to my Sony VAIO FZ11L! I bought the laptop in Summer 2007 so it's no longer under warranty. Is there anything I can do about it do you know? Mine's completely gone, screen stays like the images above. Friend did a System Restore to no avail. Data is backed up, thank god. Is there any other option apart from buying a new laptop or spending loads getting it repaired?

Thanks!

Lilzui

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Unless you can get Sony to help you out, probably not sadly. Unless you can find the parts on ebay and are good with your hands. Also, you may want to hook it to an external monitor, just to be 100% certain it's the card and not the screen.

lilzui

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Thanks for the reply. No, my friend is quite handy with computers and it's definitely the graphics card. I get pretty colours flashing over my screen and can't see enough to set it up again after the restore. There's a Sony store by me, went in the other day and all he said was for me to ring them up. Most likely they will get someone to pick it up and then give me a quote for the repair. But I don't see why I should have to pay for it if they knew the chips were faulty! Will ring tomorrow and try my luck.....

Yeh, a lot of the companies extended their warranties by 1 year.
If yours didn't, the best you can do is to get spare parts off of ebay.
(buy the 8400m GS or whichever GPU you have) and get an expert or "careful" install it yourself

Aspleybirds

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

YES in the UK. If we can proove it is an inherent design flaw, the Sales of Goods Act gives 6 years of cover.

My £1500 ASUS has just gone bang, its the graphics card 8400m, ASUS in denial, 60 days out of warranty and they say tugh. BUT if its a design flaw we can get replacement or money back from the retailer.....

...This is an old thread, but if you have any info on this let me know.....I am trying to force ASUS to own up and sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.