Need help choosing replacement motherboard

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Hi all

I basically need to get a replacement motherboard and was wondering what would be the best option with a max price of around £70. I have heard that you can purchase the best stuff to plug into it but the motherboard could slow things down so I want to ensure I don't do this with any of my existing hardware.

The replacement will need to house the following;

Pentium D Dual Core 3.4Ghz
2x 2GB Sticks of DDR2 RAM (240-pin)
At least one IDE port and one SATA port.
PCI Expressx16 slot (for a GTS250 1GB)

Power Supply is a 20/24 pin 580W

Also, my current one is a Micro ATX board but there does seem to be a couple of inches space beneath it in the case although I'm not sure if this would allow for a normal sized board...

Ideally, it would need to be purchasable in a PC World but will order online of the choice/cost is too poor.

Many thanks in advance..

Mondoman

Splendid
Gigabyte and Asus have the best reputations IMHO. I may be hard to find a current MB that supports a Pentium D, as those CPUs have not been sold for a few years now. Note that the "Pentium D" is a completely different CPU than the current "Pentium Dual Core" CPU series. The latter are just versions of the Core2Duo line.

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
All ordered now, seemed to be the best of the options and for less than I was hoping to pay anyway. Only downside is I have to wait until Tuesday for delivery. PC World are sooo overpriced and the choice is unbelievable small.

Same goes for Maplins. The didn't even sell a compatible Intel motherboard, they were all Athlons.

Thanks again.