Computer will not turn on

diime

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
last night i was playing Wow. my video card shut down and restarted twice. i shut down the computer for the night. today i hit the on button, it comes on for a slit second and shuts back off. now it does nothing. motherboard light is s till green. i tried a new power supply, it boots up to the bios screen then shuts off. it doesnt beep or anything. sometimes it doesnt even make it to bios. im so confused on what it is. i dont beleive my old power supply is bad but i could be wrong. i dont understand why the computer acts different with the PS's. anyone have any ideas? thanks

today i hit the on button, it comes on for a slit second and shuts back off. now it does nothing.
Sounds like a bad PSU.

motherboard light is s till green
Doesn't really mean anything. Motherboard LED's are powered by a small, separate power supply independent of the main part that provides the operating power.

i tried a new power supply, it boots up to the bios screen then shuts off. it doesnt beep or anything.
Doesn't make sense. The single short beep means your system successfully completed the POST. You cannot enter the BIOS until this happens.

Was the "new" PSU really a new PSU or just a different PSU. Was it what we in the repair business call a known good PSU? If so, was it powerful enough to run your system? An inadequate PSU can give the same symptoms as a dead one.

Need full system specs including those of any parts that you are troubleshooting with.

diime

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

500w nzxt psu

the replacement psu was brand new antec 500w.

i have no extra parts :( i did check the ram out by using 1 at a time, unless both dont work.

i built this system in dec.06, first problem i have had.

i am so confused about the psu thing. no idea why it is different.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
to me it sounds like a power issue on the motherboard - a leaking or faulty cap or something in the vrm... or possibly a short - i had a computer that had been working fine for literally years - must have given it a nudge and a loose molex connector moved and shorted on a heatsink!

i would take the whole thing apart, try it out of the case and then try it with a new motherboard if you can find someone who has one lying around, plus try it with literally just a cpu, ram and video card in.

Oh and one last thing - try resetting the cmos - sometime funny power spikes can corrupt things....