I7 cooler please help me choose...

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Hi i'm building my new i7 920 pc and i want to overclock it to hopefully around 4Ghzish stabley on air and apperantley theres a few good coolers out there and i wanted to know which ones the best... (p.s. i live in the UK so my choice is somewhat limited and sorry for my not so good spelling im tired i had 3 exams today and im about to go bed ) anyways so theses are the contenders...
- Asus Triton 88
- Coolermaster V8
- Thermalright 120eXtream
- Noctua SE1366 NH-U12P
- Zalman CNPS9900 LED CPU Cooler
- ASUS Triton 81
- Nexus FLC-3000 CPU Cooler

Yeah so if any one has any one of these i would really appericate the input and can you tell me whats your OC and load temp... thank you so much!

sailer

Splendid
My preference would be either the Thermalright 120 extreme or the Noctua U12P. They offer great cooling and quite operation. The Thermalright will require a separate fan purchase, while the Noctua ships with a fan. Be aware that you may have to buy an adapter for many heatsinks to fit them onto an i7 platform, as well as measuring the area around the CPU to make sure the heatsink will fit.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
My U120 1366 RT (Thermalright) came with the fan and the correct mount. You have to purchase the i7 specific model so you don't have to order the mount clip separate. But you may want to get a PWM fan so the MB can control the fan speed. I didn't I used the 3 pin fan and it stays on full blast all of the time but the noise is not bad at all. I don't even notice it.

benningt

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
If you have room in your case for the CoolerMaster V8, I really like it. I've been running it on a Core i7 920 @3.4GHz. Under load for an hour temps are still below 70C in a relatively warm room (24C). I haven't had much success @4.0GHz for long term system stability, but temps were still fine...it might have been power or RAM timing?

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Are there any good smaller Heatsinks? around 150mm? it would make my life easier and my case look better as i dont need to remove fans and what not to make space for a Behemoth of a cooler... what about the Nocutua one with the fan pointing down cant remeber whats its called...

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I managed to put the fan on the outside it doesn't look as good but acceptable just need to make sure fingers don't get trapped as theres no guard now... looks like i can fit a 165mm cooler in there now thats enough space for any cooler... How long until you think some HARDCORE i7 coolers come out? i know the TRUE180 and CMv8 are good coolers but when does the big daddys come out to play?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Both the TR120EX and the S1283/4 are hard core coolers IMO. I wouldn't worry about the fan too much I doubt it would do much damage. You can also get a fan grill cheap.

Now the Vantec Tornado will make you bleed.

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
lol i know looks and sounds like a jet engine :S anyways so lets vote between the last two opinions:
- TRUE Black 120
- Cooler Master V8

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Which ones better the
- Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme RT 1366 CPU Cooler
or
- Thermalright TRUE Black 120 CPU ??
it confusing which ones the more advanvce one??

I'm willing to bet the black version was just marketing hype. It might appeal to individuals or case modders that want an all black interior. Might be like the folks who want a certain color on their memory module heatsinks or cables.

TRENDING THREADS