Sign in with
Your question

New build POST problems, please help.

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2009 7:42:53 AM

Hi guys,

I have a problem with a new build and I am in desperate need of some help. This is the scenario:

Basically if the machine has been switched off for a while (Say over an hour) it takes around five minutes to hit the bios screen. On pressing the power button everything spins up but nothing happens, wait a while then the machine posts and everything works fine from there

I have returned and tested the motherboard (Passed)

I have returned and test the PSU (Passed)

All memory checks appear fine; however the machine posts fine with no memory in. Same issue with either memory stick in either slot.

I have tried upping the memory voltages to the recommended 2.0v (I haven’t tried going any higher though)

Tested with all peripheral disconnected (No change)

Please see system spec’s below

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G Micro-ATX

Crucial Ballistix Tracer RED 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT25664AR80A)

Hiper 425W HPU-4S425 Silent ATX2.01 PSU

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.20GHz (Socket AM2) - Retail

All components purchased from Overclokers UK.

Please can someone offer any help/advice.

Thanks.

More about : build post problems

a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2009 11:38:14 AM

Take your mobo out of the casing to rule out faulty casing connectors. Do a basic POST test with just 1 stick RAM, CPU and use the IGP. I'd hit the D-Sub for VGA and avoid HDMI/DVI hehe Load optimal defaults in BIOS and clear CMOS if you have to by removing the moving the jumpers for clear CMOS position as per your manual and remove the mobo battery for 3 mins. Slot in the battery and move the jumper back in its original position and try POST test again You will use the metallic shaft portion of a screwdriver to shot the +/- PWR headers on your mobo front connectors - check manual on the position of these headers. Cheers and hope i helped ^^
January 31, 2009 12:53:14 PM

Thanks for your response some very good tests there.

I have completed all the tests mentioned but am still encountering the same problems.

I have also tested with all avaliable memory voltages in the BIOS.

Does anyone have any further idea's at what i could try next?

Or what about the CPU voltages, will this make any difference and is it sfa eto manipulate these?

Thanks again
!