Confused about processor speeds

sodburybungy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm probably asking dumb questions but after what seems like an eternity on the internet, I'm getting a headache! I'm a middle aged gamer who loves CoD, F.E.A.R., Half Life 2 etc, but can't get on with consoles.

A few years ago I built a cheap gaming PC around an Athlon 2600+. Unfortunately it's showing its age and I can't play the new stuff. So I've got my eye on a new PC. I've tried reading up on the new processors but I think I'm at the limit of my understanding.

Problem is this.

For example CoD 5 calls for a P4 3Ghz or better. What is "better" when talking dual and quad cores? I mean I don't expect a 2.5 GHz quad to be equivalent to 10Ghz single core, but is there a rule of thumb for how a multi core processor compares with a single core? Does the processor core speed even mean anything these days? I've got my eye on an Acer quad core Q8300 at 2.5Ghz (Sold as a gaming PC) but I'm not sure if this will do the trick. I'm sure it's "better" than a P4 3GHz, but does the clock speed still matter when looking at software specs?

Sorry if this is simple stuff but even though I've read loads of articles, I can't really find anything that answers the question in this simple way.

Any help appreciated.

viper200

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
normaly any quad core pc over 2.2 gig or even 2 gig even a dual core cpu will run any game today but its also to do with GPU
CoD, F.E.A.R., Half Life 2
but the Acer quad core Q8300 at 2.5Ghz will run any of those fine
what graphics card it come with?

sodburybungy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks. Appreciate GPU is important too. The rig I'm looking at ships with an ATI Radeon HD 4650 - not familiar with ATI cards, and I haven't researched this yet. I've always gone with NVidia based cards in my other PCs. But at least the GPU can be replaced fairly easily I guess if it's not much good.

I'm not sure if the mobo will allow overclocking on this Acer, but then I'm not sure if I want to get into that anyway - knowing my luck I'd fry it!!

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Whats more important than dual or quad core is what brand it is. Pentium4/D were very poor performers, hence why Intel cranked them clear up to near 4Ghz to be competitive.

So, a Pentium 4 @ 3.7Ghz = Athlon64@2.6 = Core2@1.9Ghz. <--This is just a rough guess, Im sure someone here has a better analogy, this is just something I dug up from a launch piece on the Core2.

sodburybungy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
As long as I can play the rest of the Call of Duty series (Got W at W on the Wii - can't get on with it at all), FEAR 2 and Half Life 2 Episode 3 (when it finally arrives), that's good enough for me!! It sounds like I've little to worry about. :D

Yaga Mikira

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
if you want to play the latest games get a core i5 pc or laptop with at least 2.5 Ghz and 2 or 3 gb graphic card ..... the quad core 2.4 Ghz is equal to the core i 5 processor 1.8 Ghz ..... N if u really want to game u need to get core i5 bcz core i3 does come very rare with graphic card..... processor speed matters alot when gaming because u need a good clock speed to run the latest and heavy applications + good graphic card to fulfill HD requirements